Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Toyota Customer Service

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sonic_reducer 
#1 ·
I'm not exactly sure where I should post this but, since it's a 4Runner, I'll put it here. I'm floored. My brother's 2002 4Runner's engine failed at 64k miles. The piston rod came out the side of the engine and completely destroyed it. They've taken it to the dealer for every scheduled maintenance service. The dealer has admitted it was a defective part that caused the problem. The Toyota regional representative has agreed. The 800 Toyota customer service was called and the rep on the phone got the same info from the dealer and regional rep and agrees with the dealer's solution. The solution? My brother has to pay $4400 which is 50% of the cost for a new engine. No rebuilt engine. Only new. This for an admitted defective part that failed 4000 miles out of warranty on a vehicle maintained by Toyota.

I have personally owned the following vehicles:

'83 Toyota Pickup (195k miles, my daily driver)
'88 4Runner
'97 4Runner (my wife's current vehicle with 107k miles)
'00 Tacoma
'01 Tundra
'02 Camry
'03 Tundra (95k miles, my current travel, hunt truck)

My mother owns a Lexus. My father is on his second Lexus.

My wife wants to buy an '07 FJ Cruiser and I've been looking at an '07 Tundra. I called the 800 number and asked why we should continue to buy Toyota vehicles. The customer service rep only said that a failure like this is uncommon. We've owned all Toyota's based on experience and reputation. Both are being called into question here.

The customer service rep said they'd take that information (she was able to see my family's Toyota ownership in her database) and have them take a look at their decision but that I should not expect them to change it.

I must state that I fully understand that they are well within their rights to do this being that the vehicle was 4000 miles out of warranty. But, this is not something you do to create loyal customers which my family has been up until now.

See less See more
#2 ·
$8000 for a new engine? That sounds like a lot. It is a shame that it happened. I hope that they will do more for you, but since it is out of warranty, you are subject to their generosity since you have no legal recourse. I think they do take you loyalty into consideration. Good luck to your brother.

BTW, what engine did he have and what part was defective?

#6 ·
I feel your pain BUT what would you do (if you were them)? Secondly, what do you think any other manufacture would do? I suspect the answer to both would be nothing if they were both to come true. Is it $4,000 installed? That would be deal for a crate engine.

#7 ·
I feel your pain BUT what would you do (if you were them)? Secondly, what do you think any other manufacture would do? I suspect the answer to both would be nothing if they were both to come true. Is it $4,000 installed? That would be deal for a crate engine.
I'm not suprised by their reaction. If they want to lose a family of loyal Toyota owners, so be it.

No, $4400 would be my brother's half.

My friend is a GM mechanic at a Chevy dealer. He said in the same circumstances they would pay 100%.

#8 ·
I am expecting a similar fight with Toyota regarding my rust claim. See link below:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/interior-and-exterior/96135-rust-corrosion-on-2002-4runner/

My vehicle is still on it's corrosion perforation warranty but I have been told by a few body shops and other people who have tried to get warranty claims in their favor that I can expect a firm NO from Toyota. It seems that I would have had to leave the vehicle at the bottom of a salt water ocean for almost the 2 years I have owned it before the *might* consider doing something for me. I am not pleased about the whole situation in general. I paid a lot of money for my 4Runner used almost 2 years ago and I do not believe that this door has been reasonably durable. I will try to post some pics of it soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.