Toyota Tundra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has been brought up before or not. If it has, I apologize. So I took my Tundra in to get an oil change. I also told them I wanted a new tailgate. I didn't have any problems with it, but it's an 07 and I thought I will at least ask. I wanted to do it because my warranty expires this month. To my surprise they did it. They also told me they were going to put in a new gas pedal assembly. So I went on vacation and left the truck there for a week. They needed that long anyway to get the tailgate in and paint it. So I get my truck back and everything looks fine. Then I get in my truck, and whooh wait a minute, I got different floor matts!!! They were chintzy black rubber ones!! When I bought my truck I threw out the carpet ones and bought the 125.00 dollar all weather heavy duty Toyota floor mats. I have a crew max so they cost a lot. I loved those mats. Best mats I ever had. I also noticed that only the front driver and passenger side where changed. So I grab the service writer and say "what the hell happened to my mats". He tells me that they had to replace them when they did the pedal recall. I tell him "bull chit, I want my mats back, I paid for those with my own money off of ebay". He tells me that when they take them out they cut them in half. I'm pissed now. I tell him "that's destruction of my personal property". He says "no it's not because they were factory Toyota mats". I tell him then "does that mean you could've just had my truck crushed because it's Toyota's property and not mine". We go back and forth for some time and I finally ask for the service manager. He comes back and say's "call the 1 800 number". I tell him "NO" I want to be reimbursed for the mats. He says no and tells me to call the 800 number. I said how about I call the cops instead for destruction of property. He says what we did was not illegal. Now I have been a cop for 13 years and new better. I hated to do this but I did. So I pulled out my badge and said "I think I know whats legal or not, and what you did is illegal". I told him "if you need for me to call one of the guys I work with over here to discuss this with you I will". Just so happens the dealership was in my patrol beat, and anyone who would have showed up would have been a squad mate. Now everything changed. He tells me that he will get me some new mats. He calls me about a week later and I go pick them up. They are the same ones I had. I ask the mechanic that brought them out to me where he got them. He said they took them out of somebody elses truck that came in for a recall. So ya, I got used ones, but they look good. So some other poor tundra owner is going to go through what I did. I tell the guy to keep the damn things because I don't want to be assisting in the destruction of "his" property. He tells me, they won't get them back anyway so just take them. I drove off and called the 800 number. So just to let you guys know, if you like your floor mats, take them out before you go to the dealer. I cant believe this crap.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Hole crap good for you i would have raised hell also anything from the 1800#. One question though whats up with getting the tail gate replaced?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I take my mats out whenever I take my truck in. I'm not going to deal with that crap. I don't have the patience for people taking my ****.

KiL

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
When i brought my truck in for the recall they told me what they were going to do. The guy said we can take the driver one out destroy it, and give you a new plastic one thats simply not as good a quality as the ones you have now or you can sign a waver. I said he11 i'll sign the waver. (yes i actually read what the waver said and took a copy) Signed the waver and no problem. My buddy works as a service manager there and he even said there is no possible way the all weather matts could even move as long as the matts arn't stacked. They're clipped to the floor and have the little rubber teeth on the bottom believe me their not moving. haha

"TusconCrew" hey great job putting your foot down man! And i think the dealer definitely should have told you that they were gonna destroy the mat, like i said my dealer told me and gave me the choice. There is no way they should have just done something like that without informing you, THE OWNER. Points.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hole crap good for you i would have raised hell also anything from the 1800#. One question though whats up with getting the tail gate replaced?
I think i remember a post from him a while back about bending part of it with an ATV or something because he has the shorter bed (trucks a crew max) I could be totally wrong though.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could see if they took the mats out that came with the truck, but not ones I bought with my own money???? There was no way in hell my mats would have interfered with the pedal. They had huge cut outs around the pedal and were also anchored with clips to keep it from sliding forward. I know there just mats, but dam it they were mine!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When i brought my truck in for the recall they told me what they were going to do. The guy said we can take the driver one out destroy it, and give you a new plastic one thats simply not as good a quality as the ones you have now or you can sign a waver. I said he11 i'll sign the waver. (yes i actually read what the waver said and took a copy) Signed the waver and no problem. My buddy works as a service manager there and he even said there is no possible way the all weather matts could even move as long as the matts arn't stacked. They're clipped to the floor and have the little rubber teeth on the bottom believe me their not moving. haha

"TusconCrew" hey great job putting your foot down man! And i think the dealer definitely should have told you that they were gonna destroy the mat, like i said my dealer told me and gave me the choice. There is no way they should have just done something like that without informing you, THE OWNER. Points.
Ya, they never told me they were going to it.

I think i remember a post from him a while back about bending part of it with an ATV or something because he has the shorter bed (trucks a crew max) I could be totally wrong though.
Nothing wrong with the gate. I just knew the 07's had problems and they redesigned it for later models. So I asked for the new one and they gave it to be. At least I got that I guess.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Still the all weather mats are a little pricey (for mats anyways) and i understand what your saying, your right they were yours.

And sorry must of been someone else that had a problem with their gate. My bad.

·
Registered
722 Posts
This whole stupid recall BS is just Toyota's attempt to fix STUPID,they ain't gonna fix stupid with recalls.Best thing they can do is allow "natural selection" to take it's course.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Last time I went to the dealership I told them I didn't want any recall work done on my truck. All they told me was I got the letter in the mail and it was up to me. So they didn't touch my pedal. I'm not worried about doing any of the recalls, and I definitly wouldn't want them to cut my pedal, i would be pissed!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have WeatherTech floor mats in my truck now, and everytime I go into the dealership they take out my drivers side and put it in the passenger side. LOL

·
Registered
918 Posts
Not a big fan of flashing the badge around for this. Flame away, just don't think it's appropriate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Took my Crewmax in yesterday for the recall work. The cut pedal looks like crap. I can't believe Toyota came up with this half-baked fix. The engineer that came up with this fix should be tarred and feathered. Seems like a knee jerk reaction to succumb to the media pressure to give thea appearance they've figured out the problem. I had no idea what they were going to do on the recall, but now I'm pissed.

·
Registered
918 Posts
For my next service my mats will be removed prior to taking the truck in and put back in when it gets home. If they'd like to give me extras I'll gladly take them and leave them in the garage until needed.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Not a big fan of flashing the badge around for this. Flame away, just don't think it's appropriate.
I've been a cop for 8 years, and I am never a fan of flashing a badge or asking for special favors. That being said, I don't consider this to be asking a favor. He was simply identifying himself as someone who was aware of the law for destruction of property and letting them know that criminal charges were a possible solution to the problem. Not flaming you eharri3, just respectfully looking at the other side :).

If I had been a cop responding to this call, that is how I would have handled it too. And believe me, we run calls like this at work. He just saved his jurisdiction, himself and the dealer a lot of time by doing it himself rather than having a uniform show up and say the same thing. At the end of the day, it is HIS truck, and anything inside is HIS and he has to consent to any and all work being done.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Holy crap. I can't believe they just destroyed your floor mats like that. The least they could do is put other mats there and put yours in the bed of the truck, or keep them until you return and tell them it's ok to destroy them. It's like you said, are you going to crush my truck too? I'm glad your a police officer so you could stand up to them like that. Luckily when I had my pedal done, they didn't do anything to my mats, didn't even ask or mention it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Wow... just wow. Toyota sold those mats to you, they no longer "own" them (and the dealer sure as heck doesn't). How complicated is that?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
if they are recalling an item, they need to replace that item with the updated version..not some cheap mats. i'd have gone all barney fife on them too....thats just dumb. IF they were replacing them with new factory mats, and just taking out factory mats, then i could see destroying the OE ones. If its obviously an upgraded mat or aftermarket they have no business touching them. IF they see it as a problem, they should remove the mat, put them in the back seat and notify the customer not to put them back in place. never ever ever should they destroy a customer's floor mat without replacing it with a LKQ mat.....thats ridiculous.

also, i'd never have gotten into the whole tailgate thing. their paint never is as good...and whats funnier now, is now your truck is superwhite w/o clearcoat and now the tailgate is superwhite with clear...haha. my 07 has been overloaded many many many times on the gate and never had an issue....

also, i WILL NOT have my recall done. they sent me something saying they want to do the shim and also trim the pedal. uh...no. aint happening. its fine as is, theres nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I have the factory carpet mats and I put michelin rubber mats on top. When I had my pedal recall done, they put my rubber mat on the passenger side which I fixed before I left there. It does slide up behind the pedal but I fix it whenever it needs it.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.