Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...has my truck.

I finally decided to have that pesky recall done. Now the pedal feels like crap.
I also wanted them to take a look at the rear end. I had it up on the rack a couple weeks ago and heard my rear end noise at both ends of the axle. I asked them to raise the truck and check it out. I also wanted them to replace a couple cracked center caps for my steel wheels, check the HVAC, and reset pinion factor so my speedo would be correct with the new tires.

I called them at 2pm to see how it was going. Advisor told me the recall was done, but said there was nothing wrong with the rear end. I asked if they racked it and ran it with the wheels off the ground. He said yes. I told them to re-rack it and I would drive over. When I got there I was asked to go for a ride. I pointed out the noise and the tech said he didn't hear anything. I asked him to rack it and listen and he said that unless he could hear it driving, he wouldn't rack the truck. I told him I had a long trip coming up and asked if he would just do it to set my mind at ease. 5 minutes laer, he came to the lobby and said "there is a noise in the rear end." No $#!T. He told me they would order the left rear wheel bearing and would have it done Thursday afternoon. I'm cool with that. :afro:

He then told me there was no way to calibrate the HVAC to reset mode door and blend air door defalts. It is either too warm or too cold, with no happy spot.

He also said there was no way to adjust pinion factor (that's what Chrysler calls it) so the speedo reads correctly after a change in tire size. I find that extremely hard to believe.

The last thing I was told is that my center caps could not be warranted because I had removed the steel wheels. I am going to have to reinstall the steelies and drive over there just to have them order the caps.
Hopefully the bearing install goes well and it only needs one, not two.
They did give me a Corolla S rental to drive. This thing is slower than molasses in January. :third:

Whew. I feel better now.

Anbody know if HVAC is able to be calibrated and pinion factor changed?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
He also said there was no way to adjust pinion factor (that's what Chrysler calls it) so the speedo reads correctly after a change in tire size. I find that extremely hard to believe.
I don't know about the HVAC, but the only way to calibrate the speedo is with an aftermarket module - Hypertech, Truspeed, etc.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about the HVAC, but the only way to calibrate the speedo is with an aftermarket module - Hypertech, Truspeed, etc.
But the trucks are offered with different tire sizes from the factory. If a dealer does a wheel swap as part of the sale, they just leave the speedo to read inaccurately? Setting pinion factor (tire size) was part of trans overhauls/TCM reflashes since the early 90s on Chrysler stuff. Same with HVAC calibration. I still can't believe techstream can't access/change the data.
Seems downright barbaric..."hillbilly"... if you will.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
If a dealer does a wheel swap as part of the sale, they just leave the speedo to read inaccurately?
Yup. I saw that in an old thread awhile back. I called the dealer to get mine recalibrated and they said bring it in. When I got there, the service writer said they can't do it. I figured they could just change the parameter in the ECM, but I guess not. We recal speedos at work all the time.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
According to the tire size calculator the 255/70/18 is the same height as the 275/65/18.

I am not certain about the speedo being recalibrated from the dealership, but if you check it with GPS you might be spot on... my 285/65/18 KOS put me spot on I believe.

-rockstate

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Yeah I thought I remembered reading a thread recently where someone said that all the stock tire options, while varied in width, all had the same height.... But I'm not gonna pull out a tire calculator it's just what I read. You know how much you can believe something you read on the internet....

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I swapped my Goodyear 255/70R18s for Gutz's old Bridgestone275/65R18s and there was a full inch difference in diameter...the Bridgestones being shorter. My 285/60R18s are about 1/2" shorter still. Different mfgs tire size ratings are not the same when you compare them side by side. One brand of 275/65R18s can be larger/smaller than another brand of the same size.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Very wise words Socal Chevy, which is why I wrote "according to the tire size calculator" in my post.

My BFGs actually sit from ground to the top of the side lugs at just around 32". That's a goooood bit off of what the tire size calculator says. I should be able to eyeball it and say "oh, a 33""

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Can't be much help with some of the things that you have going on,
but the pedal recall I can. Had mine done a couple of months ago,
and told the dealer then, that I wanted the entire pedal assembly
replaced. Dealer did not have it in stock, but went ahead and shimmed
it temporarily. They ordered the new pedal assembly, and received it
a few days later. Called me, and I took the truck in, and they replaced
it. I know what you are saying about the shim fix feeling like crap. Didn't notice
it too much on the drive home on a smooth road. But, when I drove it on
a bumpy road, it was almost impossible to keep a constant pressure on the
pedal. If you ask, they will replace the whole assembly. The pedal is a little
shorter, but it does not bother me, and the normal feel of the pedal is back.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't be much help with some of the things that you have going on,
but the pedal recall I can. Had mine done a couple of months ago,
and told the dealer then, that I wanted the entire pedal assembly
replaced. Dealer did not have it in stock, but went ahead and shimmed
it temporarily. They ordered the new pedal assembly, and received it
a few days later. Called me, and I took the truck in, and they replaced
it. I know what you are saying about the shim fix feeling like crap. Didn't notice
it too much on the drive home on a smooth road. But, when I drove it on
a bumpy road, it was almost impossible to keep a constant pressure on the
pedal. If you ask, they will replace the whole assembly. The pedal is a little
shorter, but it does not bother me, and the normal feel of the pedal is back.
I'm definitely going to ask for a new pedal. Modified pedal + speed bumps = whiplash.
Did you have to call Toyota and get a case# before they would install the new pedal? The dealership guys I'm dealing with are not very eager to help.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm definitely going to ask for a new pedal. Modified pedal + speed bumps = whiplash.
Did you have to call Toyota and get a case# before they would install the new pedal? The dealership guys I'm dealing with are not very eager to help.
Like I mentioned in few other threads. Toyota required to shim and trim the pedal first... if you (Customer) are not happy... you can request for new gas pedal.

Toyota of Escondido replaced new gas pedal for me without questioning after the shimming and trimmed the pedal.

They shimmed the gas pedal first, a month later, they called me in for trimming the pedal.,... I requested new gas pedal. They said... OK, we have in-stock. So... they trimmed the old gas pedal and replaced the new pedal on the same day.

The new gas pedal is way better than the fixed pedal....

PM me if you want to know the service advisor mgr whom helped me.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like I mentioned in few other threads. Toyota required to shim and trim the pedal first... if you (Customer) are not happy... you can request for new gas pedal.

Toyota of Escondido replaced new gas pedal for me without questioning after the shimming and trimmed the pedal.

They shimmed the gas pedal first, a month later, they called me in for trimming the pedal.,... I requested new gas pedal. They said... OK, we have in-stock. So... they trimmed the old gas pedal and replaced the new pedal on the same day.

The new gas pedal is way better than the fixed pedal....

PM me if you want to know the service advisor mgr whom helped me.
Looks like I'll be switching from my convenient dealer to Toyota Escondido. These guys were anything but helpful. Inbound PM.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I also have a rear end noise that seems to be more pronounced on the right side. Guess I need to make a trip to the dealer for a check up. Hopefully they dont blame my lowered suspension as the cause.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also have a rear end noise that seems to be more pronounced on the right side. Guess I need to make a trip to the dealer for a check up. Hopefully they dont blame my lowered suspension as the cause.
Carlsbad tried to tell me I was hearing road noise amplified by my air shocks. They did not hear the rumble until I made them lift the truck and listen. It was made very clear that they did not want to work on a lowered truck.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Mine is very eveident, specially when I'm next to a sound wall or basically anything that will bounce the sound back even parked cars. With my exhaust I cant hear it when I'm on it but let off and I notice it right away. I am planning a trip to my dealer in the next couple of weeks. I even had the truck on jack stands and turned the drive shaft by hand and could here it. Hopefully they dont give me the run around.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I contacted the customer relations department at the dealership. New replacement pedal is on the way. They are also going to look at the scratches on the right outside mirror. Don't know if they will replace the mirror, but it sucks to take your truck in and get it back with a new scratch. We called them about the pedal and scratch right after picking up the truck and never got a returned phone call.

I'll give them the opportunity to make things better, but for future work I'll drive over to Escondido.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
neither can be changed...

and the center cap thing.. well the problem with that is that you cant just bring in a broken part and expect a replacement,, I can buy get broken parts anywhere and if I could just go to the dealer and walk out with a new one, well thats not reality... Center caps don't crack on their own anyways,, either they were hammered on or pried off wrong..

If we take the caps from you ,, send them to toyota when they call for them, and then toyota issues a payment to the dealer.. if the part is not issued claimable from owner neglect the dealer gets screwed with the bill.. thats why its not so easy,, we as dealers can get screwed to,, we warranty stuff and get screwed with it quite often.. we just had a $5600 transmission claim denied cause toyota did a chem test on the trans fluid and found it wasn't toyota fluid, it was some purple crap... so my dealer had to eat the claim because of a dishonest customer who said he didn't touch the trans on his 2009 tundra...:rolleyes:

...has my truck.

I finally decided to have that pesky recall done. Now the pedal feels like crap.
I also wanted them to take a look at the rear end. I had it up on the rack a couple weeks ago and heard my rear end noise at both ends of the axle. I asked them to raise the truck and check it out. I also wanted them to replace a couple cracked center caps for my steel wheels, check the HVAC, and reset pinion factor so my speedo would be correct with the new tires.

I called them at 2pm to see how it was going. Advisor told me the recall was done, but said there was nothing wrong with the rear end. I asked if they racked it and ran it with the wheels off the ground. He said yes. I told them to re-rack it and I would drive over. When I got there I was asked to go for a ride. I pointed out the noise and the tech said he didn't hear anything. I asked him to rack it and listen and he said that unless he could hear it driving, he wouldn't rack the truck. I told him I had a long trip coming up and asked if he would just do it to set my mind at ease. 5 minutes laer, he came to the lobby and said "there is a noise in the rear end." No $#!T. He told me they would order the left rear wheel bearing and would have it done Thursday afternoon. I'm cool with that. :afro:

He then told me there was no way to calibrate the HVAC to reset mode door and blend air door defalts. It is either too warm or too cold, with no happy spot.

The last thing I was told is that my center caps could not be warranted because I had removed the steel wheels. I am going to have to reinstall the steelies and drive over there just to have them order the caps.
Hopefully the bearing install goes well and it only needs one, not two.
They did give me a Corolla S rental to drive. This thing is slower than molasses in January. :third:

Whew. I feel better now.

Anbody know if HVAC is able to be calibrated and pinion factor changed?

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
But the trucks are offered with different tire sizes from the factory. If a dealer does a wheel swap as part of the sale, they just leave the speedo to read inaccurately? Setting pinion factor (tire size) was part of trans overhauls/TCM reflashes since the early 90s on Chrysler stuff. Same with HVAC calibration. I still can't believe techstream can't access/change the data.
Seems downright barbaric..."hillbilly"... if you will.
dealer is NOT supposed to do a wheel swap,, its against toyotas rules for that reason.. I have seen it happen many time in my career and just watch and shake my head.. knowing now both of the trucks are screwed forever on mpg and mph changes:cool:

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
techstream can access it, but we cant change it... first off, a 90's chrysler computer was a like compared to todays computers,,, thats why there isn't and wont be a diablo programmer for tundras,, Toyota's programming is locked up,, and for good reason..

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
neither can be changed...

and the center cap thing.. well the problem with that is that you cant just bring in a broken part and expect a replacement,, I can buy get broken parts anywhere and if I could just go to the dealer and walk out with a new one, well thats not reality... Center caps don't crack on their own anyways,, either they were hammered on or pried off wrong..

If we take the caps from you ,, send them to toyota when they call for them, and then toyota issues a payment to the dealer.. if the part is not issued claimable from owner neglect the dealer gets screwed with the bill.. thats why its not so easy,, we as dealers can get screwed to,, we warranty stuff and get screwed with it quite often.. we just had a $5600 transmission claim denied cause toyota did a chem test on the trans fluid and found it wasn't toyota fluid, it was some purple crap... so my dealer had to eat the claim because of a dishonest customer who said he didn't touch the trans on his 2009 tundra...:rolleyes:
I noticed the broken caps when I went to remove them to install the drop kit. The caps are broken across the center toyota emblem...it's obvious they were not pried on. Having 2 broken on the same truck, I suspect these have a high occurance of breakage.

You guys didn't even check the fluid condition before agreeing to replace a trans? Wow. Can't say I disagree with Toyota for charging it back. Next time, I bet the tech checks fluid condition. You guys don't rebuild them in house? I made far more money as a trans tech rebuilding than I did replacing them.
dealer is NOT supposed to do a wheel swap,, its against toyotas rules for that reason.. I have seen it happen many time in my career and just watch and shake my head.. knowing now both of the trucks are screwed forever on mpg and mph changes:cool:
Then Toyota needs to allow techs to change the input according to the tire size.
, a 90's chrysler computer was a like compared to todays computers
Huh? Didn't quite understand this statement.
AFAIK, pinion factor is still adjustable today on mopar stuff as it should be on all makes. Ford allows tire info to be updated. Haven't messed with many GM products. Why take something that could potentially help them generate service $$ and deny access to it? Seems counterproductive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts