Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Again.
It's Eric, and I have more questions about buying a Tacoma. Most of the trucks come with toyota guard. I understand its an undercarrage spray that helps prevent rust and the windows are etched with the vin number of the vehicle. I want to know if you think it worth it? (Although my choices in tacos is limited if I try to find a truck without it)
Because of limited availability of manuals it looks like I have to buy a 4x4. Is there any way to custom order a toyota to my specifications? (and still get a good deal? The pricing looks to be about 600 dollars over invoice the way it is now)

Thank you for your time and knowledge
Eric

·
Registered
447 Posts
i think relatively all vehicles come with a type of undercarriage protector( spray on or whatever)from the factory, and just my .02.....i dont really think its worth what they are charging for a little extra undercarriage coating. if you wanted to do it yourself, you can always buy undercoating spray and use it if you actually had a need for more of it on your truck. the vin# etched in the window is cool, but again, i dont really think its worth it. just my opinion!

·
Registered
32 Posts
you can definately custom build your truck if you go with getting an '07. in terms of price, its in your hands when it comes to choosing options.

if your choosing to get an '06 (if they are still available) you'll get a better deal, but then again your selection of trucks is limited.

$600 over invoice sounds like a nice price. is that for an 07?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
All modern vehicles come with rust protection from the factory, Toyotas included. Unless yours is constantly exposed to very heavy levels of salt (or other corrossives), additional protection is simply a great cash cow for the dealership. Same for etched glass, though it does have some value for theft prevention/recovery. If you want it, though, a glass shop will do it for far less than your dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, Again.
It's Eric, and I have more questions about buying a Tacoma. Most of the trucks come with toyota guard. I understand its an undercarrage spray that helps prevent rust and the windows are etched with the vin number of the vehicle. I want to know if you think it worth it? (Although my choices in tacos is limited if I try to find a truck without it)
Because of limited availability of manuals it looks like I have to buy a 4x4. Is there any way to custom order a toyota to my specifications? (and still get a good deal? The pricing looks to be about 600 dollars over invoice the way it is now)

Thank you for your time and knowledge
Eric

Eric

Do a Google on "Waxoyl" . I live in the rust belt and have made/used this stuff for years. I just apply it liberally to the undercarraige and it does a nice job of protecting things. Makes the vehicle much nicer to work on. However, if you are not in an area where salt is an issue, then don't bother with anything as you don't need it.

my $.02

·
Registered
15 Posts
All modern vehicles come with rust protection from the factory, .

I am not so certain about this... My 07 Tacoma undercarriage is simply painted steel. There is no additional protection of ANY kind on there. However, for most people this is never an issue, it only affects us poor bastards who live in the rust belt :td:

·
Registered
96 Posts
i think relatively all vehicles come with a type of undercarriage protector( spray on or whatever)from the factory, and just my .02.....i dont really think its worth what they are charging for a little extra undercarriage coating. if you wanted to do it yourself, you can always buy undercoating spray and use it if you actually had a need for more of it on your truck. the vin# etched in the window is cool, but again, i dont really think its worth it. just my opinion!
Eric, I think it is one of those things applied at the port, so you may not have a choice. I think this might be one of those Southeast dealer things.
Anyway, it was on my truck when purchased, do I think it was worth it ?
Probably not....you could probably order a truck without it...
Good Luck
Dennis

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I am not so certain about this... My 07 Tacoma undercarriage is simply painted steel. There is no additional protection of ANY kind on there.
I didn't mean they come with additional sprayed-on coatings like a dealer would do for you. I was referring to things like extensive use of galvanized steel, and components dipped in tanks of corrosion-resistant materials prior to painting... Maybe not perfect, but far better than vehicles were made decades ago (when I first started buying 'em). :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts