Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched the live stream of Toyota introducing their new products. When it came to trucks it was really lame. I'm on my forth and likely last Tundra. It's a 2017 which is really the same as the 2007 that it replaced. I doubt that the 2022 will be much different. They need to get on the EV bandwagon before it's too late IMO.

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,339 Posts
I hope Toyota reverts back to a simple vehicle with a basic internal combustion engine, because EV's are NOT the future.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cybertruck is on order. In ten years you'll be hard pressed to find a car or truck or semi with"a basic internal combustion engine". IMO

·
Registered
2 Posts
In ten years you'll be hard pressed to find a car or truck or semi with"a basic internal combustion engine".
While I agree ICEs will disappear, and I DO think EVs are the future, they need to build a truck with a better battery range for towing to get all the die hards to convert. Your 26 gallon tank Tundra, not towing (16 mpg) has a range of ~400 miles. Towing at 8 mpg, that drops to ~200 miles which is barely tolerable, but with 100,000 gas stations in the US you are never far from a 10 minute fill up and you’re on your way. If the cybertruck (or Ford Lightning) is advertised at ~300 miles, that’s under optimal conditions. I’d assume it’s half that when towing (because ... well ... physics). So would you embark on a cross country trip hoping there’s a charging station every 150 miles? And if you spend 1 hour per charge, you’re talking about only going 300 miles in a 5-6 hour day. I think they’ve got a ways to go to make one that’s tow friendly. They’ll get there but not for another 4-5 years.

But I had a genius idea that I should patent!! Make an EV friendly camper trailer with a battery pack in the floor that adds 200-300 miles to your range when plugged into the truck. So you charge the car and the camper at the RV park and head out in the morning with 2x the range, while towing!!! Boom.

·
6,339 Posts
ICEs aren't going anywhere, we will continue to use them for decades to come.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Decades to come? I agree they could be around for a while longer but if you think it will be around for decades would you say the same thing about 8 tracks, Beta, VHS, cassettes, CD's etc? I know, not the same as a vehicle, but technology does seem to be moving faster and faster. Just think of what a 2000 Toyota Tundra had in it for technology and where it is today.

·
6,339 Posts
Yes, decades to come because America does not generate enough electricity to feed EVs, and there is no commonality at the few charging stations across the nation. The coming financial crash will further set back EVs... it's just not looking good for EVs.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I concur with H2O Man...........I already heard California will have rolling black outs this year with possible areas of the east coast also. Think about all the homes AND apartment building that would need charging stations to supply power to all the vehicles. Not to mention semi trucks, buses, trains, etc.......at my age I will never see complete electric vehicles in the Great U.S.A.

Reactions: H2O_MAN

·
Registered
40 Posts
How will washington state ( highest gas taxes in America) survive if they have no gas stations. At the moment we pay over $1.00 per gallon in gas taxes but I still have to drive on terrible roads hmmm wonder where all that money goes?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cybertruck is on order. In ten years you'll be hard pressed to find a car or truck or semi with"a basic internal combustion engine". IMO

I also have one on order,I may end up getting a Tuntra EV before my place in line for the CT comes up. Although if Toyota drops a Plug-in this week I may bite.

I perfer a combustion engine but that pipline fiasco has really showed how fragile things are. I want something I can charge off-grid (although it would be slow) but even a plugin with 30 miles of range gives you some mobility when shit hits the fan.

·
6,339 Posts
Something like this could save the V8, and keep the world from making a huge mistake by switching to deadly electric vehicles.
I bet even Greta and AOC would support Green Hydrogen.
clean hydrogen from ammonia.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts