Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so Toyota made a really bad designed remote for my 2000 Tundra,(which I bought in July 1999). The remotes constantly break at the chain connection, so I've purchased another replacement off ebay and it worked great until it, also broke!! Now I'm trying these aftermarket ones on ebay and Wow, it worked great! (for 2 weeks)..... It appears the longer I have it, the worse the signal strength gets...Now I actually have to hold it against the body of the truck to work. Or a heavy metal object nearby??? Anyone have any answers here?? I've called the company I purchased it from and they sent me another one, free of charge, but did the exact same thing..... Thinking of trying another companies aftermarket one that looks slightly different...(probably made by the same company)... not sure if I'll have better luck or reception, as I should say?? I originally had a 2 button BLACK remote with the fcc number that everyone else has.... Everywhere I plug in my truck info, it says I should have a "Grey" remote but I have a black. I've ordered ones that say "black" and they work. I assume since I bought my truck so early, the dealer installed an older model that was laying around?
Info: dealer installed. Black 2 button remote with the little red light, fcc# BAB237131-022. Any ideas about my signal strength improving???? Thanks....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Try this place. I haven't used them myself but I've heard from others they are good.

No idea about the signal strength, but maybe the receiver for the alarm itself?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Get a remote starter, probably pay for itself if you keep buying crappy remotes. Can get some remotes installed for $150 or so. Better ones cost more though.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Get a remote starter, probably pay for itself if you keep buying crappy remotes. Can get some remotes installed for $150 or so. Better ones cost more though.
Agreed. Get a Viper or similar remote starter. Great range, they last a long time and have lots of options. That way you will have a keyless entry system that works the way it should plus remote start. Buy a cheap remote and you will be in the same boat you're in now. Plus you can pull it out of the truck and put it in your next vehicle as well.
Not sure if Viper sells just a keyless system without the remote starter but you could also look at that.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
So did all tundras come with keyless entry? I bought my 01 in 08 and it had an after market alarm and was supposed to work the keyless entry. Needless to say I've always had to use the key to get in

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Try this place. I haven't used them myself but I've heard from others they are good.

No idea about the signal strength, but maybe the receiver for the alarm itself?
I have used them, to replace one on our Trooper. Has worked just fine for over a year. :tu:

·
Registered
400 Posts
So did all tundras come with keyless entry? I bought my 01 in 08 and it had an after market alarm and was supposed to work the keyless entry. Needless to say I've always had to use the key to get in

willing to bet that whoever installed the aftermarket alarm, didn't install that option.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have an aftermarket alarm on my 03 and it works awesome...its a viper system with remote start and shock sensor and glass break sensor so its the loaded option. But it works great and has crazy crazy range.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
willing to bet that whoever installed the aftermarket alarm, didn't install that option.
i was told it did have it and worked b4 and actually the entire alarm system never worked (since i owned the truck). also when i got power to work the button for my train horns i tapped off the alarm power and if i hit the horns with the truck off the loss of power to the alarm would engage the ignition disable feature. ended up cutting the alarm out. the only time it ever went off was when i turned the front cargo lamp switch from on to off and it freaked and started screeming. i wish i had my stock keyless entry

fyi its a bulldog system dont buy

·
Registered
43 Posts
As I just posted in another thread, I had 4 remotes taped to the back on my glove box in a plastic bag!!! Maybe you have some there too???? Just a thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First off; I have a 2008 Tundra Crewmax SR5 4x4 5.7

I get in it this morning and notice the dash is all lit up.

The "VSC Off" light blinking, "4LO" light blinking, "Check Engine" light is on and the Slip Indicator light is on while driving. When I stop, put it in Neutral to try to switch to 4LO I get a constant beeping alarm.

When I push the Slip Indicator light, nothing happens. I hold it for 3 seconds...nothing happens

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
my truck has keyless entry but didnt come with any remotes. not that big of a deal to me, but id like to have one in my house so at night before i got to bed i can just double check its locked instead of go outside. i called toyota and they said it would cost like 250 for a new remote. how can i get one for cheap or at least cheaper then 250? thanks

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
See post #2

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
damn i read all of post one. sorry

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
okay so i have an old remote from a 2003 4runner. can i purchase the programming instructions and program that remote to my tundra?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Pretty sure you can find various programming instructions, free, just by using Google. I know the instructions that came with the remote we bought were spot-on.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
thanks! 4runner key fob does not work. will have to purchase a new fob. thanks

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Find out how much for the new fob. You still might find you get nickel and dimed to death. Spend the extra bucks, get a viper or similar remote starter. They come already set up for keyless entry. The range is amazing and never "weakens" like some of the crappy cheap ones seem to do over time. 2 way is even better. You dont have to stick your head out the window to see your lights flash to know your vehicle is locked. 1 chirp tells you the button was hit, 2 chirps tells you the signal was recieved. Peace of mind right there.
Not to mention hitting the remote start so by the time you get in it the air is already cooling it down, or heating it up in the winter.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
a few extra bucks? i can get the stock one for like 55. a viper with remote start is 400+

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Hey if thats all you need and it works, good, but if you have to spend $50 no matter what, then extra cash needed for a viper now becomes only $350. Anything else you spend to get an oem fob working is more money that could be spent on something a lot better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts