Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Referencing what has been said on this board, it seemed like the Tundra generally does its job comfortably up to about 8500-9000 pounds anyway. When you get too much above that is where you hear more and more people saying they do it occasionally as needed but wouldn't do it daily, or for long distance.

Few observations: It ain't like the truck itself is changing. The only things different are the grill, tail lights, and a few extra airbags. Alot of people who got hypnotized by the tow rating hype who thought they were right at the limit at 10K pounds are now 500-1000 pounds above the 2011 ratings depending on configuration. For what is essentially the same truck. I wonder what they think of the situation now that this is technically more than just 'pushing it kind of close.'

I saw no mention of whether they will retroactively change things for prior model years but Toyota and the other manufacturers are in quite a pickle now. What do you say to the guy who bought the 2010 because it could supposedly tow a 10,000 pound trailer and now the exact same truck, but one or two model years newer, is rated for 1000 pounds less? Or to the F150 owner who bought a Supercrew rated for over 11, who thought he was good to go to regularly tow 10,500, who may soon see ratings go down by 1500 or more pounds?

No easy way out that I can see. If you try to tell him the ratings on both is 09 and the new 2011 are valid when the truck is the same, it's obvious BS. If you try to tell him his truck's ratings are now incorrect, he's now in a pretty bad spot. Stuck with a vehicle rated for alot less than his trailer weighs and having to deal with any liability issues that may come of that should he get into an accident. Stay on the lookout for alot of cheap used half tons flooding the market, but proceed at your own risk as most of them probably spent much of their life overloaded with all the wear and tear that comes from that.

I wonder what the guy elsewhere on here who was talking about towing a 12000 pound 5th wheel with a Tundra is now thinking.

I guess it's good Ford's 5.4 is making way for bigger and better things, otherwise the truck would have gone from highest BS tow rating to lowest real world one.

I see alot of people wo figured they were OK at 10,100 or 10,200 pounds seriously re-thinking their purchase decision and looking at 3/4 tons like they probably should have initially. After all, that blurry line where the half tons were encroaching on 3/4 ton territory is going away and they have less justification to try to get a cheaper, more managable truck to do an HD truck's job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting. I have a 2010 CrewMax and though I bought this for the cab space and power, I would never use the 10,100 Towing I'm "rated" at. I do feel sorry for the owners who will use it's "rated" capacity. Lawsuit?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
eharri3 - I think you might be overreacting a bit to this situation. Flood of 1/2 tons hitting the market? I doubt it.
The percentage of people who regularly tow at or above the manufacturer's ratings I would guess to be very low. At some point you have to interject some common sense. Just because a vehicle is rated for 10K pounds does not mean you should tow that much. I don't tow much at all, but I'm smart enough not to test the supposed limits of my vehicle just to prove somebody wrong.

The good to come out of this is that all (or most) trucks will be rated equally, not arbitrarily by each manufacturer. This will give the consumer a way to equally measure one against the other.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Let's make it more realistic then. I'm sure there aren't alot of people towing 10000 pounds daily with a Tundra but I believe there are quite a few towing campers in the 95-9600 pound range who honestly believed they were OK being 7-800 pounds below their max who are now still exceeding it by 5-600 lbs instead.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
If they are smart about it, and the truck handles it fine, then why worry about the stated ratings?

All I'm saying is don't assume that the current ratings are overstated. It's all relative. There are so many variables in calculating these ratings that an argument can be made either way.

·
Registered
151 Posts
For the most part, the stated ratings are a joint decision between the engineering department (Yeah the truck can handle it. It can handle 9,999 all day long.), the Marketing Department (Engineers are always conservative conservative it can probably tow 12K!) the legal department.( Tow Rating? You mean people tow things behind the truck? we're going to get sued!) and several other departments that may have a say in things.

After many long and tedious discussions(Arguments) a decision is reached. and a number is published.

Ultimately, it is the driver's responsibility to ensure they are safe in their towing practices.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the Toyota website. The new ratings are up now.

·
Registered
513 Posts
over 20,000 miles towing close to the rating. truck preforms well. a lot of those miles are long trips, Florida California and back type trips. this truck pulls as well or better as a 2001 3500 with the gas 8.1L, that was PULLS though. it stops but not as well as the 3500 did but the difference is marginal at best.

eharri3 i have towed long distances. i will be honest and say that i have never scaled what i have, mostly because it changes and the closest scale is 28 miles from home. but i will say that driving the tundra with a heavy trailer is not bad at all. i can't go as fast as when i have no trailer and that's about it.

i am glad to see them come out with a uniform standered though.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
Well that is it. I'm selling my truck and buying an F250.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just checked the 4.6 tow ratings, they went down about 500lbs across the board. My DC 4WD is now rated for 7800 lbs max towing, which is about right.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Lets see who else follows. Quite frankly Im amazed at some of the goofy set ups I see on the roads ESP in summer.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Me too, I thought I felt my frame bending and the hitch breaking away from the truck, my muffler's leaking muffler fluid too from the high heat of towing my big trailer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Make sure you get the 6.0L diesel. That has been a very reliable engine for Ford, and I hear nothing but good things from owners. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
347 Posts
so i have a simple question for everyone on this topic...... if you were going to tow 10k would you want your tundra or say a 2004 6.0 2500hd? me and my friend got in this argument just last week. he kept saying his would out perform. well we started with the manuals, the only stat that was better for him was his capacity. he had about 600lbs on the tundra. but the tundra could tow more lb wise. so we hooked up my trailer and took both trucks out for a test run. it wasnt even close. tundra out preformed everywhere. power was no comperision. braking was better, acceleration was better. and the ride was smother. i did have to put 30psi in the airbags on my tundra while the 2500 didnt need anything. so after using a "hd" truck and a tundra my vote is still the tundra. and my friend isnt happy about the results:D just curious if anyone else has noticed that everyone jumps to saying a 2500 is needed at 10k when some of them have the same or lower ratings than the tundra.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Performance isn't the only measure. No matter what anyone says, an HD truck is more HD than a Tundra.

For a real 10k trailer, I would want a 3500 with a heavy fuel engine. Not sure why anyone buys a 2500 truck with a gas engine. But that's just me.

·
Registered
710 Posts
well we started with the manuals, the only stat that was better for him was his capacity. he had about 600lbs on the tundra. but the tundra could tow more lb wise. so we hooked up my trailer and took both trucks out for a test run. it wasnt even close. tundra out preformed everywhere. power was no comperision. braking was better, acceleration was better. and the ride was smother.
What kind, size and weight trailer? Also, your friend's truck has the (almost anemic) 4L80 transmission. Not much get up and go, but worthy for use in a tank. Is his a 2500 or a 2500HD? There's a difference.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts