Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If they were able to finance me, they are looking hard to sell vehicles. Been having secondary air pump problems, and have been talking to Toyota on the phone, seeing if they are going to help me out with the $4,250 repair the dealer said it was going to take to fix the problem. They were not going to help, so I asked them how they think I need to get a loan to fix my trucks problem that they know is a bad design.Still nothing for help on this. Made them run some numbers on trucks on the lot. Now, I have been laid off three times and have lost 2 vehicles to repo, but never missed a payment on the truck through this economic down turn. They got me into a 2010 DC work truck, with the 4.6l v8, that stickered at 28,100, for 20,100 and my crappy credit. Love it! The 4.6 isn't that much down on power at all and seems to get much better mileage. Thank you Ft Myers Toyota....Thank You

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Gave you some points to help cheer you up.

I don;t think that Toyota is hurting. I just think that they are being more cautious about what gets warrentied. I bought my truck with 0% apr, $1000 rebate and broke even on a 06 Ram with 100K on the ticker. Manufactures just make more money selling new cars over warrenty work on 3 year old models.

You might look into and extended warrenty when you are more secure with work.

I feel for you though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ogtoyfan, that did make me real happy to get the new truck tonight. They also gave me a $1000 rebate to use as down, plus knocked eight grand off the sticker. Went in there feeling bad about what was going on with the '07 that I traded in, left absolutely ecstatic about getting into a new truck for $10 more a month. 07 had 70,000 mi, now my truck has 37....SWEEEET

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Good stuff. Coming out happy at the end is what matters :)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
This is the 3rd or 4th time I've read about this crazy injector pump, now I like my Tundra a lot, but I am loyal to no car company, none. I rate a vehicle on what kind of deal I can get and then how the vehicle stands up to the test of time. I had a 97 Dodge w/165,000 moles on it that was tough as nails, took some serious abuse with few repairs, but was worn out and needed trading after 11 tough years. At the time Dodge of trade Dodge didn't wana make a deal and Toyota did, not saying my Dodge was a bad truck. If after 3 years a freaken injector pump would have gone bad and it would take 4,250$'s to fix I'd be cursing Dodge and saying what a bunch of junk the truck was. Just my 2 cents. What the heck is Toyota putting in there pollution contol pumps that cost this kinda money to repair? Surely this is a joke, someone tell me this is a joke. I believe on a Chevy or Ford these pumps go for like 150 to 200$'s.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
This is the 3rd or 4th time I've read about this crazy injector pump, now I like my Tundra a lot, but I am loyal to no car company, none. I rate a vehicle on what kind of deal I can get and then how the vehicle stands up to the test of time. I had a 97 Dodge w/165,000 moles on it that was tough as nails, took some serious abuse with few repairs, but was worn out and needed trading after 11 tough years. At the time Dodge of trade Dodge didn't wana make a deal and Toyota did, not saying my Dodge was a bad truck. If after 3 years a freaken injector pump would have gone bad and it would take 4,250$'s to fix I'd be cursing Dodge and saying what a bunch of junk the truck was. Just my 2 cents. What the heck is Toyota putting in there pollution contol pumps that cost this kinda money to repair? Surely this is a joke, someone tell me this is a joke. I believe on a Chevy or Ford these pumps go for like 150 to 200$'s.

What he said ^^^^^^

There are MANY stories on here of people jumping ship (brands) for much less problems.

I loved my Ford(s) but one transmission too many had me thinking it was "time4change". and that was no where near $4,200.

To the OP, could you elaborate on what exactly went wrong, what the symptoms were etc....

·
Registered
2,669 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
It couldn't have happened at worse time...IMO

My old man was interested in a Tundra.... but they wouldn't sell him one because of the defects.....
His next choice would have been a GM, but since they're taking money from him and everyone else anyways... he settled with a Ford...

I do have to say, his Ford is pretty awesome... 2010 F150 Platinum.... With just about every option...
I will admit that I'm a little disappointed.... Toyota had a sell on a maxxed out CM... yet they weren't gonna sell him one...
In all honesty, I think he got a better truck/deal.... hurts to say....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had like 8 Toyota's from mud trucks to Camry's in the last 20 yrs. The '07 truck I just traded in had 70,000 perfectly trouble free miles on it. If I added up all the miles I've driven in said vehicles, it's a large number of miles. Never had any real problems with anything. Here at Ft Myers Toyota, I'm getting a nation wide lifetime unlimited mile drive train warranty, and added a 70,000 mile bumper to bumper, just in case these pumps poop the bed again. My trucks have to be work trucks first and for most, I tow allot, haul allot, drive allot. For the twenty grand I just spent on it, I don't think the other makes equal it. My opinion.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
[QUOTE

To the OP, could you elaborate on what exactly went wrong, what the symptoms were etc....[/QUOTE]
My question also, just in case I have a similiar problem, Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I've had like 8 Toyota's from mud trucks to Camry's in the last 20 yrs. The '07 truck I just traded in had 70,000 perfectly trouble free miles on it. If I added up all the miles I've driven in said vehicles, it's a large number of miles. Never had any real problems with anything. Here at Ft Myers Toyota, I'm getting a nation wide lifetime unlimited mile drive train warranty, and added a 70,000 mile bumper to bumper, just in case these pumps poop the bed again. My trucks have to be work trucks first and for most, I tow allot, haul allot, drive allot. For the twenty grand I just spent on it, I don't think the other makes equal it. My opinion.

Well, you're a more forgiving man than I.

When my F-250 was literally DAYS out of warranty (yet it still had 30,000 miles left) Ford offered me $750 toward a rebuilt transmission.

This was after the Ford rep stated that a full repair should not be a problem considering that I have PERSONALLY owned over 20 new Ford cars/trucks since the 80's (that number didn't include used'/project vehicles)

To "accept" a $4,200 repair at 70,000 miles would have me going postal on someone; your zen classes are paying off!!:)

Could you please give us the signs and symptoms of the pump going out??

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
[QUOTE

To "accept" a $4,200 repair at 70,000 miles would have me going postal on someone; your zen classes are paying off!!:)[/QUOTE]
Man you are funny, I wuz taken a sip of whiskey when I read your post an liked to choked. Yea, I'd like to meet the saleswoman that could get me to make that trade, cause no man could.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
[QUOTE

To "accept" a $4,200 repair at 70,000 miles would have me going postal on someone; your zen classes are paying off!!:)
Man you are funny, I wuz taken a sip of whiskey when I read your post an liked to choked. Yea, I'd like to meet the saleswoman that could get me to make that trade, cause no man could.[/QUOTE]

"She'd" better have a nice package....errrr.....I mean the truck better have some nice options.

To finish my Ford story:

After the dealer graciously gave me "warranty" rates for new trans, I reluctantly paid the $1,500 difference. (Would have been over $2,200 if I hadn't *****ed)

Went on a letter writing campaign. The owner of the biggest Ford dealership in the country got involved.....even though I didn't buy this truck from him (I had bought many others) ....He got me $2,000 cash toward my next Ford AND the paid maintenance warranty. Bought wifey her Lincoln....obviously from the helping Ford dealer.

I'm just freakin' that the OP is taking this so well......I mean he's happy he's got 3 more years of debt and at a higher payment!!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
If they were able to finance me, they are looking hard to sell vehicles. Been having secondary air pump problems, and have been talking to Toyota on the phone, seeing if they are going to help me out with the $4,250 repair the dealer said it was going to take to fix the problem. They were not going to help, so I asked them how they think I need to get a loan to fix my trucks problem that they know is a bad design.Still nothing for help on this. Made them run some numbers on trucks on the lot. Now, I have been laid off three times and have lost 2 vehicles to repo, but never missed a payment on the truck through this economic down turn. They got me into a 2010 DC work truck, with the 4.6l v8, that stickered at 28,100, for 20,100 and my crappy credit. Love it! The 4.6 isn't that much down on power at all and seems to get much better mileage. Thank you Ft Myers Toyota....Thank You
well it really has nothing to do with "toyota" hurting... theres no way u got a loan through toyota finance.... your dealer just got you a high apr loan through one of the sub prime lenders and worked with you well on the price. the dealership was probally needing a sale so they played with the numbers well. good for you. its always a nice thing to get back into a car under warranty....

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Where is the secondary air pump? What's it look like & why is this thang so expensive. Is there any PM a person could do to protect this hidden high price jewell we carry around in our trucks?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I'm just curious (b/c I work in the automotive finance industry).
What is the interest rate?
What is the term? I'm guessing 72 months @ a minimum?
At the end of the contract, if you don't default, including interest what is the total cost of the vehicle?

I've seen contracts where if the customer didn't default they were paying $100k for a Tundra :attention:

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
well it really has nothing to do with "toyota" hurting... theres no way u got a loan through toyota finance.... your dealer just got you a high apr loan through one of the sub prime lenders and worked with you well on the price. the dealership was probally needing a sale so they played with the numbers well. good for you. its always a nice thing to get back into a car under warranty....
BTW, TFS is in the top 5 of sub prime lenders surprisingly. I think Wachovia is #1.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Just check all the #'s carefully, you don't need a 100,000$ Tundra. The salesman are SNEAKY SNEAKY SNEAKY.
The salesman aren't as sneaky as F&I. I used to work at the dealership level and I would see some pretty shady thing. You go talk to F&I and they would tell you you qualify for 12.99% when you actually qualified for 4.99%. You accept the 12.99% and the dealership is rewarded the difference.

Most dealerships advertise $99 document fee (which is total nonsense and just back end profit, I personally wouldn't pay .01 cent in doc fees) but I've seen dealerships charge $1500 document fees, 6 month/6,000 miles warranties for $2500, prepaid maintenance which translates to oil change/tire rotation (I also used to be a service advisor) for $1400 for 1 yr/15,000 miles with service every 5k. So $1400 divided by 3 oil change/rotation=$467 per service!!

On the other end most car shoppers are payment shoppers. I can 'afford' $400 a month. That's fine, if that's all a buyer cares about it's easy to work the numbers so the dealership wins big time and the customer gets their payment. The problem is at the end of the contract where the customer spends $90-$100k on a truck that is now worth $15k.

Also most people keep their car 3-5 years on average, for consumers in that cycle a lease actually works out to be a better deal b/c you can walk away from the depreciation vs. rolling it over into your next payment. That's why you have some Yaris drivers out there paying $500 a month payments for 6 years :attention:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

... This thread is making me dizzy ... because I just don't understand it ... I guess ... :confused:

Somethings that caught me off guard ... (1) $4,200.00 pump going out on traded-in 2007 Tundra ... which pump is that ??
(2) On new truck ---> 70,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty & (3) lifetime, unlimited miles nationwide warranty on drive train.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts