Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE HELP ME.Had a defect front brake calaper blow out,Sparying brake fuild all over the truck.And toyota wants to paint half of it.on a 2007 tundra with 700 miles on it. Also damage my expoxy garage floor.LET ME KNOW OUT THERE IF ANYONE ELSE WOULD WANT THERE NEW TUNDRA HALF PAINTED AFTER SPENDING 36,000.:mad:

·
Registered
202 Posts
PLEASE HELP ME.Had a defect front brake calaper blow out,Sparying brake fuild all over the truck.And toyota wants to paint half of it.on a 2007 tundra with 700 miles on it. Also damage my expoxy garage floor.LET ME KNOW OUT THERE IF ANYONE ELSE WOULD WANT THERE NEW TUNDRA HALF PAINTED AFTER SPENDING 36,000.:mad:
What do you mean by paint half? I would think they would just repaint the damaged panels. It's a new truck so the paint will match. Surely, you don't expect them to paint the whole truck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
something here isn't adding up to me ...

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
What do you mean by paint half? I would think they would just repaint the damaged panels. It's a new truck so the paint will match. Surely, you don't expect them to paint the whole truck.
Paint won't necessarily match...the metallics vary a bit from batch to batch as do the solids. The panels will have to be blended, and for a metallic finish, blending will go over more of the vehicle.
IMHO, I would ask for a new truck, because repainting panels especially so many really devalues the vehicle when you go to sell it. Also the new paint job won't be as good as factory...it never is Also you could ask them for $1000 for each panel that they have to paint, including the blended ones. Get back some of the value that you will lose.

For them to just repaint it and hand it back to you without compensation, is unacceptable:td:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Paint won't necessarily match...the metallics vary a bit from batch to batch as do the solids. The panels will have to be blended, and for a metallic finish, blending will go over more of the vehicle.
IMHO, I would ask for a new truck, because repainting panels especially so many really devalues the vehicle when you go to sell it. Also the new paint job won't be as good as factory...it never is Also you could ask them for $1000 for each panel that they have to paint, including the blended ones. Get back some of the value that you will lose.

For them to just repaint it and hand it back to you without compensation, is unacceptable:td:
A good painter can blend metallics and you can't tell the difference - I know cuz i've had it done a couple of times. I would just ask them to repaint the entire panel(s) then there is no need to blend anything. A quality painter can make it look like new and will not affect resale. A new truck? No way that's gonna happen.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
A good painter can blend metallics and you can't tell the difference - I know cuz i've had it done a couple of times. I would just ask them to repaint the entire panel(s) then there is no need to blend anything. A quality painter can make it look like new and will not affect resale. A new truck? No way that's gonna happen.
True, but blending helps as the paint ages...you may end up with a crappy body guy at a dealership or the dealer may farm it out to a cheap shop, and then you don't know if you're getting the right paint, let alone a decent guy doing it. I would ask for compensation

Cmunier1, what color is your truck?

·
Registered
780 Posts
The behaviour shown in the replies to this post is not acceptable. It is not in keeping with the guidelines of this site to attack someone because YOU do not believe the information contained in a post, or to assume that any post reporting a Toyota problem is being posted by a TROLL.

Show the same common courtesy you expect from others.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Repainting a vehicle most definitely lowers its resale value...check any pricing guide if you don't think so and read the fine print. With 700 miles, like the others said I would either want a new truck, and they could repaint it and sell it as used, or I would want some serious compensation for the lost value, time, and effort on your part for a factory defect. Also, I would make them pay for my floors that got ruined. I hate to say it but sometimes lawyers are useful.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would not have a problem with it. I just had my 2000 Lexus done and looks brand new. I used the same shop the dealer does. You see a lot of new vehicles at the shop. Which tells me a lot of new owners are driving new vehicles with body work and don't even know it. Chill, no one is dying here!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Which tells me a lot of new owners are driving new vehicles with body work and don't even know it.
If a dealer was to sell me a new vehicle that was damaged and had body work done,without disclosing the situation to me,I would definitely be upset.In some locations,it is law that a buyer be notified that the vehicle has been involved in an accident.

·
Registered
260 Posts
before my new 07 dc, I had an 05 ac. with 40,000 miles on it. I loved that truck so much but it just gave me to much bad luck. Within a span of 2 weeks it was slammed into at a redlight at about 30mph, Was backed into by an old man, and i ran into the back of a jimmy during rush our. I just couldnt stand it anymore so i decided to to get a new 07. before i could get a new one though i had to get some money for my old one. I got the truck fixed all up accept for the front bumper at gullo toyota in conroe and they did a perfect job on the body but not on the mechanics. When i got the truck the axel was grinding horrably so i took it back in. Dude said im gonna need a new axel and it will be about 3700. I said eff that and left. Came time for trade in and got 18,000 for it. Not to bad for a busted a55 truck.

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Call the BBB and get a lawyer!!!

I did against Honda for something similar and you will be surprised how quickly they will change their mind. :D

It was so funny to hear my lawyer call up the Generam Manager and owner of the Honda Dealership. :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
call tms and complain about the situation, tell them about your damaged floor. But if it were my truck, I would not be too concerned if they just painted the damaged areas, as long as the paint matched.

So I am saying yes, to the happy with a half painted tundra if the pole starts. LOL!

Good luck with your truck.

·
Registered
202 Posts
At this point we really don't know the extent of the damage. Is there just a small spot on one fender? I don't know. It would be ludicrous for Toyota to repaint the entire vehicle or give him a new truck for something so small. I think we need more info from this guy before any more advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had same issue on my old Tacoma.....came in and had body damage from shipping. It was painted(red) and I owned it 11 years(95 model).....never ONCE could I tell it had been messed with over that span of time.....and i'm pretty anal about stuff. IMO......Most body shops put BETTER paint jobs on than the factory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm assuming your brakes were repaired free of charge and the damage to your truck's paint was estimated and an offer made to repair the damage by repainting the area.

That looks like a fair offer by the dealership to me.

If the dealer is choosing the body shop and paying, you have three options.

1) Let them go ahead and do it and see if you're satisfied with the result. Take pictures before and after that you can use in small claims court if you aren't satisfied.

2) Try bargaining a better deal with them on your own.

3) Pay a lawyer to bargain with them.

I would choose number one. The dealership has no other liability than to fix the damages incurred. If the paint job is unsatisfactory, you still have options.

Number two will most likely frustrate you and your relationship with the dealership will not get any better.

Number three could cost you more than it's worth. But there are plenty of lawyers who will be happy to take your money.

FWIW - A while back, I had a scratch that ran almost the full length of my 1 yr old Tundra, which was caused by a driver who sideswiped me. It was repaired and repainted by the body shop that my insurance recommends.

I cannot tell the difference between the original and new paint and would bet that nobody could tell that it had been repainted.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't be worried as much as you are. I understand your concern. I'd be pretty upset also. But I think you'll be surprised at the outcome if you go along with your dealer's recommendation.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I want to see pics of the damage. Until then...I am sorry but I don't believe the claims.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Maybe it's some sort of high-tech new thing, but on "olde fashioned" vehicles the brake system doesn't have any sort of pressure in it until the brakes are applied.

So, while I understand the "brake fluid damaging the floor paint" scenario, I'm a little lost on the "front caliper spraying brake fluid around enough to take the paint off of the front fender" scenario.

Maybe some hard braking incident caused the faulty caliper to fail and dump fluid in the wheel, which in turn flung it up on the fender. Then the vehicle was parked in the garage, where the fluid dripped on the floor.

But boy, I'd think such a severe loss of pressure would be tripping ABS idiot lights all over the place!

Any more detail on this incident? It might be handy for others to know what to look for in their own vehicles. I've never heard of a caliper "exploding", but there's a lot of fast moving parts there, so I guess something like that is feasible...:confused:

·
Registered
699 Posts
If it was me I would be very P'ed. body shops can make the paint look the same but it's not baked on at 400 degrees like it is from factory. I had my old celica painted look really good but 4 years later it's starting to chip and peel where factory paint would not chip this easy. I would not want anyone even if it was chip foose himself doing it. it's just not the same. IMO

1 - 20 of 38 Posts