Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the time has come for a new belt, and you prefer factory Toyota parts?... but unfortunately, as many have found, the 90916-A2014 Tundra belt doesn't exactly provide stellar service life. Problem solved, purchase part # 90916-02680 for the Toyota Land Cruiser. It's much higher quality, and the same price. :tu:

·
Registered
859 Posts
So, is it noisier or something? just wondering why there are two parts. Why would Toyota go to the expense of sourcing and inventorying two parts with the same purpose, especially if they are fully interchangeable and not a visible part.

Oh, not doubting you for a second by the way!! just wondering if you know what there thought process was.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
I put a Gatorback on my Tundra this week. The Toyota one is abysmal at best.

I wanted to put a Bando belt on the truck, but they spec a belt that is too long from the factory....so be careful. Toyota's belt is 95.1 inches. The bando one speced on their site is 98....

·
Registered
961 Posts
My OEM belt has been flawless. 130k miles on it. Thats in Canada where its 90 deg F in the summer sometimes and -40 deg F coldest in winter. Not too bad that a belt can last this long under such a temp range. I'll check it again in another 60k, but now its just got small cracks in the ribbing, nothing wrong with the belt itself.

·
Registered
656 Posts
So the time has come for a new belt, and you prefer factory Toyota parts?... but unfortunately, as many have found, the 90916-A2014 Tundra belt doesn't exactly provide stellar service life. Problem solved, purchase part # 90916-02680 for the Toyota Land Cruiser. It's much higher quality, and the same price. :tu:
In other words: A rip off :D

I bought a Gates, Green Stripe Part # K080952 myself for about $45

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
On My Gen 1 it had the classic "chirp chirp chirp" which went away after I replaced the OEM with a Gatorback. On my Gen 2 (5.7) there is a howl at cold temperatures, but replacing OEM with a Gatorback did not fix the problem.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
I put a Gates belt on my Tundra from Oriley's and that thing squealed like a stuck pig. I had to return it as my OEM belt never did that.

The Gatorback is nice and quiet. Shame I had to put a new belt on so early, but the good news is with a good breaker bar (20 inches or more) the job is easy.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I put a Gates belt on my Tundra from Oriley's and that thing squealed like a stuck pig. I had to return it as my OEM belt never did that.

The Gatorback is nice and quiet. Shame I had to put a new belt on so early, but the good news is with a good breaker bar (20 inches or more) the job is easy.
Man, a belt change on a Wrangler is easy...

I think you're lyin to us....

-rockstate

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
Once the skid plate is off, I bet I could replace my belt with a new belt in about 15 minutes....max.

Most time for me is the skid plate. It really isn't too hard.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Yeep, plus the pin which holds the tensioner in the compressed position....where you want it while placing the belt into position around the pulleys.

·
Registered
363 Posts
On My Gen 1 it had the classic "chirp chirp chirp" which went away after I replaced the OEM with a Gatorback. On my Gen 2 (5.7) there is a howl at cold temperatures, but replacing OEM with a Gatorback did not fix the problem.
Funny you mention the howl at cold temperatures. I had the same this winter and it sounded more like a distant siren. Not a sound I associated with the belt though.

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why two parts? Most of the interchangeable parts that exist between the 200 series Land Cruiser and the Tundra have different part numbers. The Land Cruiser is built in Japan, so most of the parts are sourced there, the Tundra is of course USA built with mostly USA sourced parts. The Land Cruiser parts are generally of higher quality.

The Tundra belt is a Dayco/USA. The Land Cruiser use a Japanese made Bando.

My belt had cracks in the ribs at less than 10k miles. Cracks in the ribs = at least 1/2 the life of the belt has been used, maybe more. To hear of one wit 130k is great, but dosn't seem to be the norm.

That's a good issue you brought up with some of the aftermarket belts.The factory belt spec is an 8PK2410. That's 8 rib 2410mm long. Most aftermarket belts seems to be an 8PK2490.

Mitsuboshi/MBL (not Mitsubishi) produces the best belts on this planet. I'm hoping to source an aftermarket belt from them for resale. There was a time that MBL was the only belt that came on a Toyota.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Funny you mention the howl at cold temperatures. I had the same this winter and it sounded more like a distant siren. Not a sound I associated with the belt though.
Was it at relatively low rpms? Maybe 1600-2000?

Mine appeared when ambient temperatures were quite a ways below freezing. This noise did not disappear when the engine warmed up, only when the ambient temperature warmed up towards spring.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I bought a Gates, Green Stripe Part # K080952 myself for about $45
I replaced mine with a Gates belt as well. We'll see how long it ends up lasting. My OEM belt was replaced at 27k and it looked like poo.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
Interesting for me as well. I replaced mine at about 30,000 miles with a Toyota due to cracking, cost about $200.00 for the part alone, and I was informed that this is a "wear and tear item" and therefore not covered by the multiple thousands of dollars warranty I bought.

If there's a comparable aftermarket, or even better, Toyota belt, I'll be replacing my current one with that one if it dies as fast as the first one did!

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
The prices Toyota charges for their belts is outrageous. When it comes down to US sourced belts, the gatorback wins hands down. Bando belts are good, but they are harder to find - good to know there's an oem option for the Tundra application.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
I am going in for a service visit to my dealer soon and was hoping to have some small things done as a convenience. I had planned to include a belt change in this mix as I am at 60K miles and have some squeal and chirp at cold starts. If I am reading this thread correctly, the Toyota belt alone would cost in excess of $200 just for the part? If that is the case then I am very glad that you warned me as I would have exploded on my dealer. Toyota is really starting to #(%% me off with little things: no full ECU control without dealer visit, $3K air injection pumps, lots of TSBs which aren't covered once you are out of warranty even though they should be, $50 oil changes for the cheap junk, several recalls, and now a $200 belt?

So I am going to get my own gatorback belt and do it myself, gritting my teeth and cursing Toyota along the way. Is this the correct belt? Amazon.com: Goodyear 4080952 Gatorback Poly V-Belt: Automotive

1 - 20 of 51 Posts