Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read online and been informed by dealers that price will go up on toyotas. In the articles it said any cars in stock should see no problem. Dealers are telling me that they cannot discount much and there is not much room. Is this true? Or are dealers taking advantage and acting like price increases have already taken effect and are just trying to make more? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
My guess would be that it is some of both.
Prices have gone up on other stuff coming from Japan also.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yep it's true. while i was at the dealership this past weekend i was talking to a sales man and he told me that many dealers are asking about $6K more right now and they aren't discounting the trucks very much.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The local dealers here haven't increased the prices the only thing that has changed is there is no $2,500. rebate anymore.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Yeah, with the situation in Japan parts are in short supply so I wouldn't count on any discounts, rebates, or smokin' deals of any kind any time soon.

·
Registered
363 Posts
A lot of it is plain greed. I just got a 2011 Tundra and used a company called New Cars Inc. They got me the truck for much less than two (S)tealers quoted me. The thing in Japan is a big deal but Toyota city is far enough south that it wasn't impacted any where near up north in Sendai. Replacement parts are very surely going to go up though.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
They can raise the prices, but the only way they can keep the prices higher is if people buy at that price. If people stop buying, the prices will come right back down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tundras are built in San Antonio TX and has 90% of suppliers in same plant.
I believe only 10% of parts coming from Japan and
I do not recall that I saw Tundra was included list of Toyota/Lexus price increasing.
And increase of price was little less than 2%, if I remember right....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it sounds like dealers are just trying to take advantage of the situation from the sounds of it. I will have to look at all of my options. I had an 07 dc and wanted to get another mainly for the engine and acceleration. But there was some things I disliked a lot about the tundra so I may re evaluate with the higher prices also

·
E PLURIBUS UNUM
2,247 Posts
The tundra is not on the list for price increases and the actual increase is less than 2%. As someone familiar with the sales industry, they will use any tactic and any information to better their cause and find a way to charge you more. Sales 101. Joe public wont fight them on it and get a better price. They do this because people buy into it. A 2% price increase, even if you do pay it, should not break the bank. Lets face it, the dollar has lost some major buying power in the last few years and inflation in vehicles is no surprise. Its happening amongst nearly every sector for goods. Basically, if 2% is going to break you, you shouldnt be buying a new vehicle. Shop for something cheaper.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The tundra is not on the list for price increases and the actual increase is less than 2%. As someone familiar with the sales industry, they will use any tactic and any information to better their cause and find a way to charge you more. Sales 101. Joe public wont fight them on it and get a better price. They do this because people buy into it. A 2% price increase, even if you do pay it, should not break the bank. Lets face it, the dollar has lost some major buying power in the last few years and inflation in vehicles is no surprise. Its happening amongst nearly every sector for goods. Basically, if 2% is going to break you, you shouldnt be buying a new vehicle. Shop for something cheaper.

2% will not break me at all. My question was more relating to dealers saying they are not discounting anything. I called a couple dealers and was told we are not discounting anything for the time being so if that is the stance they want to take I will not bother. The original question was about this part of it mainly because I will not pay sticker or anywhere near it for a vehicle.

also, as I said the Tundra had things I liked, mainly the engine, things I did not like, ride, nannies and lack of a locker or even a real LSD, i was not very impressed with the tundra in snow compared to my silverado I had before it, and I had snow tires on the tundra just a/t or m/t tires on the silverado, but in snow found on roads, not off-road my STi is easily better than both especially with the center differential locked, but that is a whole different animal. also, the interior of the tundra is kind of cheap feeling with all of the plastic, but I liked it because of the engine and acceleration it brings, also the size of the DC inside, so it has pros and cons just like anything else, but if dealers are unwilling to negotiate then that is another big con.

·
Registered
814 Posts
They can raise the prices, but the only way they can keep the prices higher is if people buy at that price. If people stop buying, the prices will come right back down.
Looks like we have a winner! :first:

Funny how that works right. :highfive:

·
E PLURIBUS UNUM
2,247 Posts
If your dealer isnt willing to negotiate, find another dealer. I dont buy any of my vehicles same day or any of them in person. Everything is negotiated over the phone or email. I wont even drive to the dealership without a written contract. Long story short, find a dealer that will work with you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If your dealer isnt willing to negotiate, find another dealer. I dont buy any of my vehicles same day or any of them in person. Everything is negotiated over the phone or email. I wont even drive to the dealership without a written contract. Long story short, find a dealer that will work with you.
I have called multiple dealers and like to do as much by phone or email also. But they have all said that one said a little room as in a couple hundred dollars and they don't seem too anxious to do much so I won't try too hard for them to sell a truck to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello all.
I currently reside in Japan and I may be able to enlighten some of you about the economical situation with the U.S. Dollar against the Japanese Yen.
Although the Tundra along with many other Toyota's sold in the U.S. are U.S. built, you would be surprised at the number of components, electronics & other misc parts on these vehicles are still manufactured in Japan.
Due to the weaker U.S. Dollar and the very strong Japanese yen, the costs for the U.S. consumers are evident. This was one of the reasons for the rumors about the demise of the FJ Cruiser in the U.S. as this vehicle is still built in Japan and sticker prices began rising over a year ago.
The current yen/dollar exchange rate is a measly 79 yen to one U.S. dollar. Significantly different from when I first came to Japan in 1977 as a Military Brat when it was 288 yen to the dollar. In addition to the economical situation, the devastation in Miyagi Prefecture (Sendai) and other adjacent areas form the 9.0 earthquake and tsunami has caused many of the sub-company's which manufacture automotive electronic circuits and computers to close permanently. While the big Japan automakers are attempting to either assist these small companies rebuild or seek out alternative companies to build these parts, locally, there is a significant backlog or parts even for the assembly lines and in turn causing new vehicle delivery delays. I work for the U.S. Government here in Japan and manage a Government fleet of vehicles (all domestic Models i.e. Hino, Isuzu, Fuso, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Mazda, etc) and we too are severely impacted by the parts delays.

Just thought I would throw that out there...
Cheers:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Toyota has increased the price on the Tundra by $500. As an earlier poster said, I don't think any trucks that were on the lots have been affected, but for example in April I was given a quote for a 4x4 DBL CAB Tundra with an MSRP of $38478. If you go to a site like truecar.com and configure that vehicle with the exact same options, it comes up with a MSRP of $38978. Here is a link too that shows the Tundra's price increase of $500.

Toyota announces price increases for nearly all US models

·
E PLURIBUS UNUM
2,247 Posts
Online tools are just for research. If you pay that amount you're crazy. Different websites across the world will quote different prices. Check your sites first. I understand why the prices have gone up, but 500 bucks from word of mouth vs a random website is not what I would consider reliable information. And on top of that, MSRP is just a starting point for negotiations.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well of course, the actual quote I got was much less than the MSRP. I'm just saying that the truecar.com MSRP is $500 more than it was last month for the same vehicle. But I hear you on different sites giving different prices, it's kind of frustrating.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I saw this so I had to sign in and shed some light. Toyota raised their prices this mid year, just like they do every year. That had nothing to do with the events in Japan. It had been announcedc to the dealers prior to the earthquake, Just looked that it was related. The Prius went up 4 times last year. It is not unusual for us to have three of the exact same cars on a lot with 3 different sticker prices. Especially for some of the slower moving pieces.

As far as discounts go. If someone told you that you are not going to receiving any trucks for a few months, as a dealer, it probably got a little more valuable to you. At one point, we only had incentives on two vehicles. One just happened to be a Tundra. I have had a customer with a paid order waiting for his little bitty base model tacoma for 3 months. Some, not all, trucks are very scarce right now

1 - 20 of 27 Posts