Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woo Hooo
Finally!
After a gazillion complaints and owner reported problems with the 2003 and 2004(made in 2003) Stability Control System as well as VSC / Trac Problems Toyota has been forced to issue a recall on the 2003 Sequoia's. Just saw it on the news!

I personally have already replace the ECU at a cost of $1500!! which Toyota and my dealer offered to split three ways ( Big Deal) so it was a mere $500.00!!! Which is probably more than what the new ECU costs anyway! So i will be waitin for more info and will gladly take this to small claims court if need be.

Anton

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have had horrible problems lately with my vsc. my sequoia was made in jan of 04. they better honor the recall for it or i will be one p-offed customer. i will call and email everyday and bother who ever i can until they offer to fix this crap. toyota needs to man up and correct this issue! just search this forum and see how many hits you get on sequoia vsc/abs problems. sorry to rant but this has been a huge headache.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I read in the article that they will reimburse owners who have already had it fixed. You need to send a copy of the receipt to toyota for reimbursement. You should be getting a letter from toyota if your vehicle is effected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine's an '02 and the VSC unit went out four years ago at 65k miles. Complained to the stealer, to the Toyota field rep and filed a complaint on NHTSA. VSC has never engaged on me but ABS and VSC has not worked since summer 2006. Now at 120k and I sure hope they honor mine. Can't afford the $1000's for new unit but otherwise the Sequoia has been awesome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Toyota Recalling 50,000 SUVs for Unintended Deceleration
FOXNews.com

Toyota Motor Corp. recalled about 50,000 Sequoia sport utility vehicles from the 2003 model year to fix an unexpected
slowing of the vehicle in the latest recall issued by the Japanese automaker.

WASHINGTON - Toyota Motor Corp. recalled about 50,000 Sequoia sport utility vehicles from the 2003 model year to fix an
unexpected slowing of the vehicle in the latest recall issued by the Japanese automaker.

Toyota said Wednesday that the recall would address the vehicle's electronic stability control system, which helps
maintain traction during turning. In some cases, the stability control could active at low speed and prevent the SUV from
accelerating as quickly as a driver expects, the company said.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration had been investigating the issue and Toyota said it decided to recall
the vehicles to address the government's concerns. The automaker said they had no reports of accidents or injuries
connected to the issue and about half of the vehicles had already been repaired under warranty.

"Toyota is committed to investigating customer complaints more aggressively and to responding quickly to issues we
identify in our vehicles," said Steve St. Angelo, Toyota chief quality officer for North America.

Toyota has recalled more than 8 million vehicles worldwide since October because of acceleration problems in multiple
models and braking issues in the Prius hybrid. The company recently agreed to pay a record $16.4 million fine to the
government for a slow response to problems with sticking gas pedals.

In the Sequoia case, Toyota said it issued a production change during the 2003 model year to address the stability
control problem and published a technical service bulletin to dealers in fall 2003. Owners who have complained about the
problem since then have had the skid control engine control unit replaced by dealers and the company said about half have
been repaired under warranty.

Toyota said owners who paid to have the work done will be reimbursed.

Owners will receive letters about the recall in late May. The company said owners who paid for the fix should mail a copy
of their repair order to the company's U.S. headquarters in Torrance, Calif., for reimbursement consideration.

Owners can call (800) 331-4331 for more information.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2004 Sequioa that was built on Nov of 2003. Will that be honored to the recall??? I have the same issue with mine and I just bought it. I have been struggling with the hole in the wall dealership to get it fixed but I have no luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still waiting for my letter (ha Ha) I noticed that this recall applies to the VSC Anti-skid applying brake input...thinking that a wheel is "slipping/skidding" this causes the vehicle to slow down, due to the incorrect automatic brake input. I am sure Toyota will tell us all to go jump in a lake. So good luck to all of us with this one!!

Cheers..

Anton

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just learned of this recall through a letter from Toyota. We paid $1450 to replace the VSC computer about a year ago. I don't know what "reimbursement consideration" means, but it had better be a full refund.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts