Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is supposedly good stuff---but $25 a gallon at every dealership I have called !!! Any professional opinions on a good flush and going with something like Peak Global which meets Toyota specifications ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know it is supposedly good stuff---but $25 a gallon at every dealership I have called !!! Any professional opinions on a good flush and going with something like Peak Global which meets Toyota specifications ?
It is Toyota's version of DEXCOOL. It is available at any auto parts stores. However; it is more expensive then the green stuff but less then the Dealer charges. If you need a coolant flush just use the aftermaket Dexcool.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like the way Toyota gives the "generic" equivalent for most fluids, antifreeze being the exception. So, I figure there's a reason to spend the extra $15 or so every two years to get the real red. I just found out that the dealer by my sister in law (200 miles from home) sells it for $20 a gal, so I'll buy a few next visit. I have 3 Toys to use it.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I like the way Toyota gives the "generic" equivalent for most fluids, antifreeze being the exception. So, I figure there's a reason to spend the extra $15 or so every two years to get the real red. I just found out that the dealer by my sister in law (200 miles from home) sells it for $20 a gal, so I'll buy a few next visit. I have 3 Toys to use it.
I did not think you had to change the coolant basically forever. That is why they call it super long life coolant. Mind if I ask why you are changing it every 2 years?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For now I will leave the original coolant fills in my 01 Avalon and 02 Highlander. When I took the caps off the fill points on each, and checked the inside with a flashlight, the fluid looks factory new and the metal also. Less than 50,000 miles on each. It is sad that Toyoto part prices are ridiculously high. I found the cabin air filter replacement on line for less than $4 plus a small shipping fee. I compared it to an original and I can see no difference in them whatsoever except the Toyota part is about $30. Same on the Avalon

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did not think you had to change the coolant basically forever. That is why they call it super long life coolant. Mind if I ask why you are changing it every 2 years?
The Toyota maintenance schedule. See here:
Toyota Parts and Service

Mine's a 2003, so 24 mo/30,000 mi. For '09, I see it's up to 100k miles for the first change. I could not bring myself to leave coolant in that long.

Red is called "Long Life Coolant".
Pink (pre-diluted) is called Super Long Life Coolant.

As for cabin air filters, I definitely go for the least expensive. Not critical to car durability or performance.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The Toyota maintenance schedule. See here:
Toyota Parts and Service

Mine's a 2003, so 24 mo/30,000 mi. For '09, I see it's up to 100k miles for the first change. I could not bring myself to leave coolant in that long.

Red is called "Long Life Coolant".
Pink (pre-diluted) is called Super Long Life Coolant.

As for cabin air filters, I definitely go for the least expensive. Not critical to car durability or performance.
Can you switch to pink and then go 100k? I thought the big trick to the coolant was just making sure that the water was de ionzed so that you did not get the hard water build up in the system and that was why they can go so long now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One dealership told me "no" to switching and another dealer said it was "OK" as long as all the red is flushed out thoroughly. The "pink" is premixed 50/50 with water. Red is full strength.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There's a 2002 Toyota TSB (PG010-02) issued regarding Japan Built vehicles, announcing the new [pink] coolant and saying the red and pink are interchangeable and compatible with each other.

The dealer nearest me no longer even sells the red.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just paid $17.02 for a gallon of Super Long Life Coolant at my local dealership. I don't know how some of your dealerships get off selling it for $25.00 a gallon. My bill said LIST: $20.41 and they sold it to me for NET: $17.02.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just paid $17.02 for a gallon of Super Long Life Coolant at my local dealership. I don't know how some of your dealerships get off selling it for $25.00 a gallon. My bill said LIST: $20.41 and they sold it to me for NET: $17.02.
SLL (pink) is prediluted. We were talking about Long Life (red), which is 100% antifreeze. Even at $25 a gallon, plus 82 cents for a gallon of distilled water from Wallyworld, that's cheaper per usable gallon of product than what you paid.

The dealers near me are keenly competitive, to see who can charge more. One charges 110% of list for most parts (higher for some); the other charges 120% of list for many parts. I buy most OEM from an online seller who gives 30% off list.

BTW - is the SLL prediluted to 50/50 concentration, or 55/45? I've never had a jug of it in front of me.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I bought 2 gallons of the red for $24.00 each. Would like to know if you can use a cheaper method. For this change at 75,000 miles it's getting the red and distilled water from the grocery store.

Scoob

·
Registered
117 Posts
The extremely simple and extremely inexpensive way to maintain a Toyota cooling system is to use the exact same coolant mixture that the factory used:

2003 and earlier models came with a 50/50 mix of Toyota Red antifreeze and distilled water
2004 and later models came with 100% Toyota Pink antifreeze

To maintain the 2003 and earlier models, simply buy 1 gallon of Toyota red long life and 1 gallon of distilled water. Premix the two which will give you 2 gallons to ready to add coolant. Then drain the radiator with heater control in the Hot position, measure the amount drained and pour back an identical amount of new coolant that you mixed up. It will be necessary to idle the engine for 10 minutes with the heater control in the Hot position to get the thermostat to open which will cause the radiator fluid level to drop enough to be able to fit in an identical amount of new coolant.

To maintain the 2004 and later models, simply buy 2 gallons of Toyota Pink Super Long Life Coolant. Then drain the radiator, measure the amount drained and pour back an identical amount of new pink coolant. It will be necessary to idle the engine for 10 minutes to get the thermostat to open which will cause the radiator fluid level to drop enough to be able to fit an identical amount of new coolant.

It will not be necessary to drain the engine block or to "flush" anything because the Toyota fluid is 100% effective at stopping corrosion and scale build up, hence the cooling system will stay sparkling clean for unlimited years and miles by simply draining and refilling the radiator roughly every 2 years or 30,000 miles (red coolant) or 3 years or 45,000 miles (pink coolant).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check local auto parts stores and check brands labeled DEXCOOL. That is the same as the expensive Dealer red anti -freeze the dealer sells

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The extremely simple and extremely inexpensive way to maintain a Toyota cooling system is to use the exact same coolant mixture that the factory used:
Correct and well said. :tu:

It will not be necessary to drain the engine block or to "flush" anything because the Toyota fluid is 100% effective at stopping corrosion and scale build up, hence the cooling system will stay sparkling clean for unlimited years and miles by simply draining and refilling the radiator roughly every 2 years or 30,000 miles (red coolant) or 3 years or 45,000 miles (pink coolant).
Other than taking a peek into the radiator how do you know this? You have a TSB or some test data somewhere? Please share Tundra brother!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts