Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
DEXCOOL IS NOT the same as Toyota Red or Pink. Check the 1-GEN Tundra forum for extensive discussion about this same topic. It has been analyzed by many and the overall consensus is they ARE NOT equivalent nor compatible (regardless of what may be stated on other coolant containers.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Agree. Dexcool should never be used. However, there is a Zerex for Asian vehicles coolant that is equivalent to the Toyota pink. It is a no-silicate, phosphated hybrid organic acid technology (P-HOAT) coolant same as Toyota uses. It runs about half the price of the Toyota pink.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I share my experience about the Toyota red antifreeze, now I have a 2006 Toyota tundra using this red antifreeze and prior to this I had a 1998 ,2.4 liter ,Tacoma used it before the year too and have bought it will remove all the red liquid replace it with the green that AutoZone sold in pure without water and replace it all, I had my pickup for 11 years and never had problems with it in the water pump or elsewhere that had to do with the cooling, but rather think this what manufacturers say that people will buy their products and being tied to them, thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can drain the engine block and most of the radiator on a 2GR-FE engine via a drain plug on the front of the engine. With the hood up and facing more towards the left side of the engine, look up under the exhaust manifold heat shield. A mirror might help. You'll see a 10mm bolt head next to a down spout that a hose can be connected to. About 16 oz. of coolant remains in the radiator. Remove radiator drain plug to remove most of what's left. If you want every drop out, you'll also have to remove the lower hose connected to the bottom of the radiator. Coolant in the heater core remains. If you want to flush with a garden hose, you'll need to remove the thermostat, but on a 2GR-FE, that's a lot of work. The serpentine belt must first be removed because there's an idler pulley blocking the removal of the t-stat housing.

Lisle tools makes an excellent product to burp air from the cooling system. Videos of this tool on youtube.

Lisle Corporation

21 - 25 of 25 Posts