Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got one of these with 218k miles on it.

The poor ol' beast is gutless as all get out. Its an automatic which seems weird to me but nonetheless it was a free rig.

I am looking for anyone who know much about these trucks. I know that the Turbo doesnt work on it anymore, not sure if it's seized or if there is something else wrong with it but I think thats why its so gutless. On freeway I can get cruising to about 75, 80 at the max if im going down hill, but as far as going up hill it's pedal to the floor and hopefully cruising along at 52-56 mph.

I had one of my mechanic buddies do a quick look over it, he adjusted the timing a bit, and that made a small improvement, he's wanting to bypass the turbo for now to see if that solves the power issues, anyone know where i could pick up a turbo for this beast?

Any help would be appreciated and once I get my digital camera, i'll post some pictures..

-chris

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
That engine has dished pistons. The compression is 7.5 or 8:1. Without the Turbo it wont hardly run or get out of its own way. Thats why it's turboed to make up for the lack of compresson. Boost = Compression

It sounds like the timing chain may have jumped

The exhaust (cat conveter) is plugged <--- My guess. The turbo wont work properly if the CAT is plugged.
Is the Turbo noisey?? does it smoke?
why do you say its bad?

It could have a bad torque conveter, but you dont mention it dying on decel. So this is a last resort.

Is the check engine light on?
Can you pull any codes?

I would pull the valve cover and make sure the timing chain was lined up properly, they will run up to 3-4 teeth off.

First i would drop the exhast at the header pipe INFRONT of the cat near the engine and then go drive it and see if that helps.

Plugs?
Fuel pressure?
TPS set properly? so timing can be properly adjusted
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My understanding is that the turbo doesnt work at all. I dont get any smoke, the turbo light only comes on when i turn the key to start it up.

It does kind of sputter a little bit when sitting idle, and even when i give it gas.

-Never dies on me, its pretty dependable, in that respect.

Can you pull any codes?
as far as codes go.. im not sure what you mean. (i know very little about engines in general)

First i would drop the exhast at the header pipe INFRONT of the cat near the engine and then go drive it and see if that helps.

Plugs?
Plugs were recently replaced.

Fuel pressure?
Not sure how to check fuel pressure.

TPS set properly? so timing can be properly adjusted
TPS?

Thanks for replying!

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I used to have an '85 SR5 Turbo w/an auto, was a pretty quick truck in its day with 135 hp and 173 ft lbs tq. One of my favorite toys pardon the pun. I even have pics of it. I'm sorry I dont have any mechanical know-how. My cousin has a 1986 Turbo dead in his garage though. I'll ask him..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts