1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
might not be the worst cars, but definitely the most bland and boring. and nothing new they make, has any better reliability than the big 3. the tundra and taco, are the only toyota vehicles i would ever consider in their respective categories. GM and chrysler are killing toyota on the look and power of their sedans. and toyota doesnt even have a performance car anymore.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I'll be honest with ya, I don't see how the F250 can be on that list. It is safe actually, and how are you going to avoid an accident with an 8000 lb bus? Seat comfort is no worse than any of the other cars on the road IMO. Gas mileage is going to suck. Seems like they're going by "statistics" and not actual facts.

-rockstate

·
Registered
513 Posts
consumer reports and jd power, lol. GM sales are up, well they should be. if they got any worse they would be negitive

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'd add the Sienna minivan to the 'good' list... you have basically 3 choices if you need a minivan: Chrysler, Honda, or Toyota. Of those three, I'd take the Toyota any day.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Just so u guys know... CR & especially JD Power get much of their results from real-owners. Then send you a questionaire in the mail asking you to explain how your specific car is holding up, where it has had problems, what the problems have been, how likely you would be to recommend it... yadda yadda yadda.

I don't own an F-250, but I know several guys that do own the 2007-09 models with the diesels; the funny thing is, most are having issues with their trucks, especially the engines. They have to go in for tuning issues, they're getting terrible MPG's.... but they have the attitude of "well, what're u gonna do? It's a Ford..."

I got a JD Power Q a couple weeks ago for my '10 Tundra. I filled it out honestly, telling them of the strengths and weaknesses. I would hope that everyone else would fill out their own Q's the same way ---- and if that's the case, I'd say it's a pretty accurate measure of dependability, coming from the actual drivers/owners.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
How'd they get that rear to slide out on an AWD vehicle? I thought those were more or less a 50/50 bias? Or, was that a RWD model?

Either way, 10 years ago they wouldn't have made a big deal out of that. People KNEW how to drive. What happened? I feel like I'm in the minority that can actually handle my vehicle safely. Heck, I have had a situation where I was driing in about 4" of snow and I touched the gas adn the back end came out on me going up a slight incline and to the left. Guess what? TC didn't do **** to save me until I had already gotten it straight. It didn't throw any of the sensors off at all.

-rockstate

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
Ha Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Aveo and Colorado, Dodge Nitro, Ford F250, GMC Canyon, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

People may not like the ratings, but that's because they're used to reading sponsored articles in car fan-zines. People usually think Consumer Reports is right on when it publishes a positive rating on what they own, and disagree when the rating is negative. What they forget is that their personal experience may not be identical to everyone else's, their driving style may suit a particular vehicle better than others, but overall you're going to be happy with your Toyota for years after you bought it, and probably not so happy with your Dodge or GMC. Well, the truth hurts sometimes.

·
Registered
918 Posts
How'd they get that rear to slide out on an AWD vehicle? I thought those were more or less a 50/50 bias? Or, was that a RWD model?

Either way, 10 years ago they wouldn't have made a big deal out of that. People KNEW how to drive. What happened? I feel like I'm in the minority that can actually handle my vehicle safely. Heck, I have had a situation where I was driing in about 4" of snow and I touched the gas adn the back end came out on me going up a slight incline and to the left. Guess what? TC didn't do **** to save me until I had already gotten it straight. It didn't throw any of the sensors off at all.

-rockstate
It's called the stupification of the American driver, by misguided people who think they are helping, but they are not. More electronic nannies because people lack any basic understanding of vehicle dynamics in emergency handling situations. Floormat recalls because everyone is so scared of liability issues that sending out a simple message telling people to secure their floormates so they don't interfere with the gas pedal won't suffice. Consumer Reports being shocked and issuing DO NOT BUY alarms every time they find a way to make a body on frame truck slide or flip over in situations where a car wouldn't.

The unintented consequence is nobody learns to drive their vehicle anymore because the vehicle is supposed to be designed to compensate for the bad driver. People have 45 minute long bouts of unintended acceleration while ignoring the state trooper who is shouting at them on his PA system while driving alongside to simply throw the car in neutral and hit the brakes. Nobody actually ever looks at their tires because the computer will tell them if there is a problem with air pressure. You don't need to pay attention on the highway. Your car will tell you if you're following too close or deviating too much from your lane, or will, in some cases, make appropriate adjustments to steering and throttle on its own initiative. Buy a 5500 pound truck and drive it like a sports car. It has enough electronic nannies that Consumer Reports couldn't make it spin or flip, so you don't need to adjust your driving style to suit the handling characteristics of the vehicle. Nobody needs to figure out how to steer out of a skid and get a car pointed straight again because the computer will do it for them.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
^ And you forgot to add the cars that auto parallel park nowadays because people are too stupid to figure it out.

speaking of which, i thought i read somewhere, they were thinking of removing the parallel from the drivers exam. because too many people fail it. perfect example of the sutpidification of america. instead of forcing people to become smarter, we are catering to the idiots. which simply creates a higher influx of idiots.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have to agree with several of you especially eharri3, people cant drive worth a crap anymore, and I have seen plenty of stupid/undertrained drivers on the highways as you all have.
I dont like my truck cutting power form me, but I like abs so technology comes with a tradeoff.
I was in the dealership and a fellow had the engine disabling feature put on his car and I almost fainted when I heard the "service monkey"
decribe what would happen. if you put on the brake and the gas pedal is "engaged at all" the car shifts into neutral for you.
so if the cruise is on and you hit the brake then what? what if you drive with 2 feet like 50% of people - then what? I think this is a terrible if not dangerous and irresponsible thing toyota is selling as a fix to affected cars and can result in many more fatalities and gridlock.
Can you imagine going 75 and you tap the brake to slow down for a car to get by and you are in traffic and now you are in neutral with a kenworth bearing down on you????
and the owner just said OK - OK my arse!!! is he crazy????

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I learned how to parallel park in a '98 Ford Expedition with 2 trash cans. I didn't NEED to PP for my driver's test, but I was ready for it.

The first time I ever DID parallel park was downtown in a busy section during rush hour. Nailed it the first time.

Of course the truck is a slightly bigger btch to PP because of the extra length, brush guard, tow hitch, and bed of the pickup. Either way, I've parallel parked it probably over 20 times in the 3 years I've owned it and not once hit anything, although I have found out quickly whether or not the spot was too small lol.

Eharri, you are right about that. Talk about a sad reality. It is hard to believe the direction this country is going (down the shtter).

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea rock i agree with your last sentence there. What a shame... :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts