Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm glad I got myself one in Dec. It's a little confusing as to when they will stop making them. Good thing it's a Toyota, because it's going to take hell freezing over to get me back into a GM.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I saw that. I'm not surprised, in retrospect the Sequoia was one the worst business decisions Toyota made recently. Of course that would have been hard to predict 7 years ago when they started designing the current one. Back then SUVs were being sold at insane profit margins.

I'm glad I got mine when I did. Hopefully it will last a long time.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
doesnt bother us too badly, the only way we could afford a nicely loaded one is to get one used and this will only help our situation haha JK. sucks they are killing it, but hopefully they will keep the Lexus SUVs intact....IMO the sequoia did get to carry way too high of a sticker price...i mean upwards of 60k for a toyota SUV when you can get a lexus or infiniti (a sure enough luxury brand) for the same money......really makes sense that its going away actually.

·
Registered
26 Posts
...you can get a lexus or infiniti (a sure enough luxury brand) for the same money......really makes sense that its going away actually.
Sorry, but you're off on these 2 points. 1. Looked at a Land Cruiser, and it was not nearly as accommodating to a family of 6 as the Sequoia. Check the specs. These two don't share platforms like the 4Runner & GX. 2. Best deal I could find on a LC was $19,000 more than my Seq.

Is it a bad decision to stop production? At this point and time... no.

BTW - I'll be looking at a Tundra Crewmax in 2015/16 when I have 2 that are driving themselves :0)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Seq a bit over priced ( aren't all Toyotas? ) but an outstanding combination of features. I was hoping they'd do a diesel but hey. Not many big SUVs tow this much, have fold flat third rows.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The space and engine size are a great combination. I feel that such high towing capacity has been carefully planed by Toyota and the SEQ will prove to be one tought truck. I also feel that the cutoff is still just rumors...some times even fueled by the competiton.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't think the interior hauling space is all that great considering the size of the vehicle. If you want three rows of comfortable seating it's great but that stupid third row kills the floor to ceiling height. If you don't need the third row your hauling it around anyway.

If you have three rows full of people and any gear your luggage will be at your feet and you should buy a van. Leave the SUV's for those of us who tow and haul gear not as a glorified people mover.

All depends on what you need. Love the powertrain, towing and second row seating but if I needed three rows for people I would have to suffer with a van.

Reality at this point is none of this matters.

·
Resident Reefer
259 Posts
This is good news for me!!!

I love my Sequoia since day one and have no regrets on it. I'm glad I got mine when I did and I never looked back. I guess ones that own one will be the limited few that do...that's if they really do get rid of them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Probably going to see the 3rd Gen Sequoia as a unibody design, same as the new 2011 QX56 and Explorer. Still would have to be big with a V-8 to differ it from the rest of the Toyota lineup. Toyota always seems to be 4-5 yrs behind the latest industry trends.

Hope so because about the time it would come out (2012-2014?) I'll be ready to move to something slightly smaller than my Gen 2 Seq. Would like a Land Cruiser but haven't found the hidden gold bars they must be charging for.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't think the interior hauling space is all that great considering the size of the vehicle. If you want three rows of comfortable seating it's great but that stupid third row kills the floor to ceiling height. If you don't need the third row your hauling it around anyway.

If you have three rows full of people and any gear your luggage will be at your feet and you should buy a van. Leave the SUV's for those of us who tow and haul gear not as a glorified people mover.

All depends on what you need. Love the powertrain, towing and second row seating but if I needed three rows for people I would have to suffer with a van.

Reality at this point is none of this matters.
I would agree, having owned both a Gen 1 and Gen 2 Seq. The Gen 1 had more room and utility than Gen 2. The drive train and suspension was dated though. Can't believe they designed the folding 3rd row in the Gen 2 with so much wasted space.

Luggage storage is solved by a roof box. I have a large cube Thule and it does the trick on road trips w/ family of five or six.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Well I love mine. I still to this day miss my 07 tundra DC but with my kids having all that room and still being able to tow my 8000lb travel trailer with ease makes it all worth it. The only downside to owning the sequoia for me is that at when I'm at campgrounds people are always telling me "you must really struggle in the mountains with that setup". If they only knew....

·
Registered
68 Posts
I hope TOYOTA continues strat of the Sequoia to reach a legend status.
They are to offer variations in length (LX like the GM Tahoe or Yukon) and also a class of lexury or Special eddition over the current Platinum...A refrigerator...some other top-end features like those currently available in Land Cruiser

ViVa SEQUOIA................

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm surprised they didn't discontinue the land cruiser after the 08 Sequoia was released. Land Cruisers have always been overpriced for what you get. Our dealerships around here never seemed to carry them. I asked a salesman about that and he said they were at too high a price point for them to carry but they could always get one from another dealer if they had a customer that wanted one. I just keep driving my Sequoia knowing I didn't get ripped off for another $25k for basically the same (actually better value wise) SUV.

I can't see them going to a unibody construction like the Exploder...unless they want to downsize it to a minivan type of performance...no, there will always be a market for a true truck based SUV with a V8 and towing capabilities.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Maybe GM will re-energize their small diesel development and give those of us who tow an interesting SUV alternative to the Sequoia.

·
Registered
96 Posts
:... I just keep driving my Sequoia knowing I didn't get ripped off for another $25k for basically the same (actually better value wise) SUV."

Shane you are totally correct. Before I purchased my Seq I ran an indepth comparo of the VX landcruiser and the Seq. For the money the Seq won hands down on top of that I got more space and more performance. The looks of the Seq is also much better and on top of that the Reliability of the Seq is the highest in the nation 9.0!:first: As close as perfect as you can get. Landcruiser is only 8.4! This ones a keeper. If the Landcruiser where built in the US it probably would cost 10K less than the Seq.:amen:

·
Registered
47 Posts
pretty hard to believe...I see so many new Sequoia here in the Houston Area. I must see a few each day on the way to work and when I go out to lunch or dinner...then again this is Texas ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
what is it you find hard to believe?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I like truck based rear wheel drive SUV's so I think it is a mistake to kill full size SEQUOIA.

4RUNNER will be only option in a TOYOTA after that if they kill Sequoia.

Or just bring back previous smaller frame.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts