Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else see the article about Toyota reducing the number of standard features on the new Tundra? I was SHOCKED to read that Toyota was considered eliminating the CD player, stability control system, limited-slip rear end, and the side curtain airbags from new Tundras in order to cut costs.

WTF? First they offer rebates, now they're cutting options. What's next?

Here's the link...it's from the local San Antonio paper. I've got some more info on my blog about this too, but I think it really has to do with an unrealistic sales goal that Toyota has set.

I guess that everyone who is thinking about waiting to buy the new Tundra shouldn't wait too long...

·
Registered
848 Posts
why should they hurry ? if toyota does this then the price of the truck would drop and the truck would sell to people who could not afford the originaly equiped truck ... if they want these options they will be available and the truck would still be the same price .... i dont understand why there is a rush to buy it now ...

i do wish i wasnt in a bind and needed a truck so bad when i bought mine or else i could have saved a few thousand ... but oh well i am happy with it so far

·
Registered
137 Posts
I can't imagine them doing that so soon that might get folks upset that may not be ready to buy right now and when they are they could be in for a surprise. The article stated they might take away some of the standard features of the reg cabs wonder if they will add the DC to the mix..All I know is that at least here in the East there is not much moving off any of the lots Ford Dodge Chevy or Toyota I go by everyday and I mean for weeks to months they have the same old trucks so I think it is just a slow time especially with gas prices going down hill again.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Makes sense to me. Everybody is bitching about the Toyotas being 3k more than the other bare bones offerings from gm/ford and using that as reasons they won't sell as many. The competition doesnt offer those, so I dont see the need for Toyota to in the base model trucks. It'll just help sell higher numbers of vehicles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As the wealthiest Automobile company it is not going to hurt them in the long run by giving back to the customers, in fact they should brag about this - you made us rich here are some extra goodies for you!!!!!

Ford lost $2 Billion, Toyota just simply gave away $2 Billion to fund its Formula One project!!!

I think Toyota should keep those extra options (Except for CD players. Ever since Ipod hit the market CD player is practically useless).

Come on Toyota, please dont let us down..............

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope they rethink the feedback the article says they got for focus groups. I wanted a DC, longbed, Limited.

My dealer said Toyota has a code for it, but they aren't making it. I e-mailed Toyota and they responded that their market research said there weren't very many people that wanted a truck like that.

Well... if they expect me to switch.. as I have an 04 Chevy 2500 crew cab, long bed, LT, diesel 4x4.. then perhaps they ought to appeal to all segements of the market.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just a guess here, but they might be doing that so they can sell a stripped down work truck to compete better with domestics. I can't imagine them raising the effective price of the truck with all the goodies, so I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You didn't ask, but here is my take on it. Toyota could make it available without a single standard feature, every item you want is an additional cost. Will that really change a thing for 95% of the vehicles shipped to the dealers? No, since the dealers will order them with all the features anyway. They make their money on selling options so that is how they will order them. I don't think ANY large auto maker has 5% of total sales that are special orders. The majority of orders are from the dealers, and the dealers are going to option them out. The fleet orders are really the ones who may benefit from it IMO.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just a guess here, but they might be doing that so they can sell a stripped down work truck to compete better with domestics. I can't imagine them raising the effective price of the truck with all the goodies, so I wouldn't worry.

Yeah, I agree with Cruiser13 here...if they do this, they can be more competetive in the fleet sales arena. And we all know that fleet sales are a big portion of Ford and GM truck sales figures.

If I am a purchasing manager for a company that needs a fleet of trucks and I am looking at Fords and Chevys that are two or three thousand less than a Toyota I am probably buying a fleet of Fords or Chevys. However, if the money and capabilities are all equal, how many purchasing agents are going to ignore the Toyota Tundra? Toyota's reputation alone is going to be very enticing.

Reducing the number of standard features puts Toyota on a level playing field with the other guys, and could push their sales figures to new levels, while establishing the Tundra as a "true work truck" in the hearts and minds of Americans.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
60 Posts
I believe the article said the standard features reduction will affect regular cab only. This makes sense as it would boost fleet sales and the basic work truck market sales. Good move, but I'm shocked that they are just now figuring that out.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I wouldn't sweat this. All this does is allow Toyota to compete on price for fleet vehicles and trucks used for service/commercial purposes. Lots of buying decisions are done on price only, so that means that Ford and GM was beating Toyota even though they have inferior trucks.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Its about time. Most of those options are not even needed. As long as it has a 5.7L, LSD, ABS, AC, CD that's fine. It'll bring the cost of the truck down, so more people can afford it, contractors can afford it and I can buy one. I'm glad I waited.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Makes sense to me. Everybody is bitching about the Toyotas being 3k more than the other bare bones offerings from gm/ford and using that as reasons they won't sell as many. The competition doesnt offer those, so I dont see the need for Toyota to in the base model trucks. It'll just help sell higher numbers of vehicles.
Bingo. Gives those who want a 'heater and keys' truck a way to compare apples to apples since all people can do is complain about the extra few grand when there's obviously beneficial items for that extra money. It's better than decreasing the base truck price and increasing the price of options or higher trim packages to make up for it. The money has to come from somewhere... they can't just chop $3k off of the base truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts