Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota is looking to finish development of a hybrid version of its Tundra full-size pickup next year, with plans to bring it to market shortly thereafter. The project is in cooperation with Ford, and is the plan would likely see the American automaker roll out a hybrid F-150 shortly thereafter.

Next year will also see the launch of the Prius plug-in hybrid and Prius c sub-compact as the Japanese automaker says it could double its hybrid sales in North America to 400,000 by 2015. Globally Toyota hopes to bring hybrid sales to 1.2 million that year, up from 690,000 last year. To reach that goal, the Japanese auto giant will look to continue to expand its offerings, with more hybrid versions of conventional models.

According to R&D boss Takeshi Uchiyamada, hybrids are a growth strategy for Toyota. He admits that the company has lagged behind in new transmissions and hybrid technology, with Toyota betting instead on a longer-term payoff of hybrids as a mainstream alternative.

To continue this growth strategy Toyota is being forced to deal with the rising yen and will, as a result, begin moving production of hybrid vehicles and their components out of Japan. Currently only the Camry Hybrid is built in North America, although the hybrid components continue to be manufactured in Japan.

More: Toyota Tundra Hybrid Coming, Could Help Hybrid Sales Double by 2015 on Autoguide.com

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I can't even imagine what that will cost

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good thought, nut what happens (if they do produce it) when the extended warranty runs out at 100k and around 120k the battery decides to croak? I wonder how much that will cost and if it's really worth it to drive a Hybrid...........not trying to bash the idea, because anything to conserve fuel is right up my alley, but i would still rather see a light/medium duty diesel in the Tundra line-up

·
Registered
108 Posts
when a hybrid can tow, sign me up...

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
In cooperation with Ford!? I'm going to pretend I didn't see that. Seriously, what's it going to take to get the diesel V8, the one that is already available from Toyota in every other country in the world, here in the United States and into our Toyotas? The diesel R&D is already there... they have more torque (which is what you need in a truck if your going to tow and haul), are more reliable, get better mpgs, have lower emissions, have much more longevity, and maintain better resale value.

Hybrids are puss. Diesels are manly. Need I say more?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Amen brother! I just wish they would get their heads out of their asses and go ahead and bring it already! I've been waiting on the day another diesel toyota truck hit the market because I'd snatch one up in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
131 Posts
In cooperation with Ford!? I'm going to pretend I didn't see that. Seriously, what's it going to take to get the diesel V8, the one that is already available from Toyota in every other country in the world, here in the United States and into our Toyotas? The diesel R&D is already there... they have more torque (which is what you need in a truck if your going to tow and haul), are more reliable, get better mpgs, have lower emissions, have much more longevity, and maintain better resale value.

Hybrids are puss. Diesels are manly. Need I say more?
Agreed. I've been waiting for that Tundra Dually to hit the market ever since they showed it a few years back @ the 07 SEMA show.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
the Tundra diesel is the only New thing that would increase buyers of Trucks to switch more non-Yota owners to the brand, the Tundra is the Toughest gas truck you can buy in the 1/2 ton class and its showed some real grit when pushed and driven hard, yet its not perfect and there is always room for improvement and the diesel would be a huge step in the right direction, hopefully not a urea using system, but at this point I know it really doesn't matter. 400hp and 700lb/tq in a 1/2 ton would be both economical and fun. I'd seriously look at getting one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
HYBRIDS seem to always cost about $20,000 more than the regular engine......So If you drive 500,000 miles in 5 years you should break even on your purchase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts