Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a new truck this fall/winter. I am starting my research now and was curious to know your input/thoughts. I know everybody has their own opinions, but in my search you guys might be able to shed some light on things I would not even consider or think of.

I am looking at either a Toyota Tundra or a Ford F-150 (possibly the new 2011 F-250's). I owned a 2008 Crewmax Tundra TRD 4x4 w/ 5.7L. I loved that truck, but had to sell it with job situation and economy! Now I am in a better place, I still love the Tundra, but I have read good things about the new F-150/F-250's.

What are ya'lls thoughts on why you would go with a 2010/2011 Tundra or a 2010/2011 Ford F-Series?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I would take a F250 over a Tundra if I were doing work.

The new ones are sweet adn are reportedly getting over 20 mpg with the 6.7 diesel which is a badass powerplant.

If you can afford one and need the power/capability of the F250 get the Ford.

If you need a DD that is comfortable, a Tundra is a very viable option that realistically probably does more truck like things than the F150 - while the f150 being more comfortable.

So, for absolute capability, get the F250 ( it is nice on the inside actually)
and for a mix, get the Tundra LImited, and if you just need comfort with the occasionall hauler, get the F150.

Price is a big factor on the F250 though.

-rockstate

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well - I face this discussion daily at work. I am the only Toyota owner here in my shop in Grand Rapids. Minus the technical data - I think the new Ford trucks with the huge grill are ugly. And still speaking about looks - I don't like the colors.... Having said that when I buy a new truck in a year or two and go to a vehicle for a large goosneck trailer, I am almost completely sold on the F350 with the diesel and dually's - so I don't dislike Fords as a rule - just don't like the looks of the new ones. They look like something a "Nancy" boy would own.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am looking for a truck that can be an everyday driver, but also get me to my duck hunting spots, with the occasional boat or trailer pull. I love the looks of the 2011 F-250, but I have a hard time justifying the cost for something that I am not using for what it was created for.

I had the 08 Crewmax Limited 4x4....should have never sold it, but at the time I could not afford to keep it. I think Toyota makes one heck of a truck, but wanted to make sure with what all went down with all the past problems, that they are corrected (which I know there is no such thing as a perfect vehicle manufacturer and I believe Toyota out of all manufacturers, will do whatever it takes to correct the issues)...I just want to be certain that when I buy my next truck...it is going to be one I can drive the wheels off of. Which I know I can with Toyota. I was curious to know if anyone has come over to Toyota with a 2009+ Ford F-150....what sold them or what was missing on the Ford.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Check out a thread by a guy named Alaskacub. He had problems with his Tundra and sold it for an F150 nad loves it.

If you need REAL capability off-road a F250 will get you there. Can't beat a Solid Front axle. But if you lift a Tundra a few inches in the front nad throw MTs on there, it's lighter.

And, like you said, costs are going to be a big part.

The big ol Air Injection Pump would (honestly) steer me clear of a Tundra (more usedt han new) because I don't want to shell out 3 grand to make something that shouldn't go bad, and has no REAL effect on anything, work.

With that said, diesels cost more to maintain, but the new 6.2 is a sweet motor, and other costs should be comparable all things considered.

Minus the AIP on the Tundra, nothing else has changed since you had one in '08.

Might as well get the Tundra if you liked it originally. They are a good truck and probably will be, mile for mile, better than an F150.

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Can you wait till ford puts the 5 liter coyote motor in the F 150?

If so wait and compare the 5.7 to it.

Comparing diesel to gas is apples to oranges.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
You've got a big window of trucks you're looking at!

I was in the same boat as you, but I picked up a deeply discounted 2010 F-250 with the 6.4. Yeah it has a bad rap, but when you look around, you'll notice that has to do with the early adopters back in 07. Seems to be the 09-10 models are very reliable. Mileage is a bit less than the Tundra, but I did get 13 towing my utility trailer loaded up to 11k this weekend.

Mine:

2010 F-250 Lariat Crewcab 4x4 MSRP=51,885
Rebates: 6,000
Dealer Discount: 6,500
Military Rebate: 500
Add 7 year, 100k bumper to bumper: 1,580

Those are the numbers plus TTL for my truck. I the price difference was just amazing and in reality, the new 6.7 is not doing 20 MPG on the highway. Keep reading. Towing numbers are about on par with the 6.4 from the guys on Ford-trucks, powerstroke.org, and thedieselstop.com.

Read away. Both IMO are good trucks, but I don't think the 6.7 is really 5-6k better than teh 2010. As well, the Lariat in the 2011 is a little more 1-2k more than the 2010.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I am looking for a truck that can be an everyday driver, but also get me to my duck hunting spots, with the occasional boat or trailer pull. I love the looks of the 2011 F-250, but I have a hard time justifying the cost for something that I am not using for what it was created for.

I had the 08 Crewmax Limited 4x4....should have never sold it, but at the time I could not afford to keep it. I think Toyota makes one heck of a truck, but wanted to make sure with what all went down with all the past problems, that they are corrected (which I know there is no such thing as a perfect vehicle manufacturer and I believe Toyota out of all manufacturers, will do whatever it takes to correct the issues)...I just want to be certain that when I buy my next truck...it is going to be one I can drive the wheels off of. Which I know I can with Toyota. I was curious to know if anyone has come over to Toyota with a 2009+ Ford F-150....what sold them or what was missing on the Ford.
Then why are you still looking? Go buy your Tundra!

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you have any real work for a truck the F250 is the logical choice. Aside from that I'd get the Tundra. My 2010DC is the first and only Toyota I've owned. In my opinion it's a far better truck than the F150 and I've owned F series trucks exclusively all my life. Fords 5.4 Triton is underpowered and the last one I owned was noisy as hell. I spent almost 2 grand in performance upgrades and a bone stock Tundra would still stomp it's ***. No more 1/2 ton Fords for me thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
My dad is somewhat is in the same boat. He is driving a 2004 Nissan titan and dad thinks thats its not that reliable of a truck anymore. Only has 56K LE crew cab 4x4 off road package.

We looked at a 2010 platinum black with the 20's. They wanted $50K for it and it was discounted to $38,500. That didn't include the trade in value of the Titan. I personally think the truck is cheaply put together but most cars are these day. The rear carpet had a huge bubble in it like it wasn't tucked tight enough. It was like that on 4 different F150's. It had the 3.55 gears which is really a dog. The 6.2L is going to debut in the 2011 f-150 models I think in March 2011. But We are going to look at a King Ranch. this week. So I'll let you guys know. King Ranch is more comfortable than the platinum with the saddle seats.

Toyota wouldn't discount their trucks that much.

The F250 is a nice truck but don't buy that 6.7 powerstroke. its a POS engine. My buddy had an 09 F350 with the 6.7 special ordered the truck and it literally fell apart. He went through 6 turbos, 2 driveshafts within 6 months. He ended up trading the truck in and bought a used F350 dually diesel.

Chris

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
I still vote for Tundra for best 1/2, but I would buy the Extended warranty (as I would with the Ford).

The Tundra is a great truck if you don't feel the "need" to own a diesel or don't need the capability.

The AIP issues are my rationale behind the extended warranty.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I still vote for Tundra for best 1/2, but I would buy the Extended warranty (as I would with the Ford).

The Tundra is a great truck if you don't feel the "need" to own a diesel or don't need the capability.

The AIP issues are my rationale behind the extended warranty.
When did you switch to the Ford?

Post up a new thread in OT with some pics... I've apparently been :abduction:

-rockstate

·
Registered
656 Posts
Wait for the 6.2 to come out in the F150 if you're not looking to purchase immediately.
The first manufacturer to put a mid size diesel into a half-ton gets my next purchase.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would also wait for the 6.2 to come out and then make a choice. If they had that motor when I bought my 2010 DC 4X4 I would probably be driving a F150 right now.

Ive been waiting for the 2011 F150 with the 6.2 (in a Crew Cab 4x4 non raptor) and unless something comes up Ill be buying one. My Tundra isn't being driven much now since my morning drive involves taking kids to daycare and the road I take induces severe bed bounce which the misses thinks it isnt safe for a toddler . This is the only reason Im replacing as Toyota is going to do nothing about the issue.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Check out a thread by a guy named Alaskacub. He had problems with his Tundra and sold it for an F150 nad loves it.

-rockstate

Try not to forget that he loved his Tundra for a while, too. (especially when ripping on the Dodge he had previous)....:beatsme:

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Can you wait till ford puts the 5 liter coyote motor in the F 150?

If so wait and compare the 5.7 to it.

Comparing diesel to gas is apples to oranges.

The 5.0 version "tuned" for truck use will have no where near the peak numbers that are in the Mustang.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
The F250 is a nice truck but don't buy that 6.7 powerstroke. its a POS engine. My buddy had an 09 F350 with the 6.7 special ordered the truck and it literally fell apart. He went through 6 turbos, 2 driveshafts within 6 months. He ended up trading the truck in and bought a used F350 dually diesel.

Chris

Ummmm......no he didn't.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts