Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Score one for the good guys. While Toyota takes a lot of flack for having a product line that's geared more towards the common people than enthusiasts, most decent folk knew that the scandal regarding Toyota's unintended acceleration accusations was largely a combination of schadenfreude and political motivated rhetoric. People love to see the big guy take a fall, and this was no exception.

Now, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has analyzed vehicle data and their findings are consistent, showing that at the time of the incidents, the throttle was wide open while the brakes were not applied. This suggests that drivers mis-applied the pedals. Only one case, a fatal crashing involving a runaway Lexus ES350, where the throttle became stuck because of an improperly designed floormat. Toyota immediately issued a recall for the problem.

More: BREAKING: Toyota Unintended Acceleration Is B.S., According To NHTSA And D.O.T., Driver Error Blamed on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think just as with unintended acceleration with Audi's in the 80's, people mistake the gas for the brake and then all heck brakes loose (sorry for the pun). In the excitement of acceleration, you may just push harder thinking you're on the brake and the situation worsens. I don't believe every case is this way, but probably most, and Toyota as any other big company, gets slammed in the media. Toyota should have acted sooner but in the end, they won't be hurt too much. I will say as a now as a 2-1/2 year owner of a 08 Tundra, I've had more serious mechanical problems than any vehicle I've owned new and I do think that Toyota has rested too long on its quality reputation. I hope they fix their other quality issues or this will be my last Toyota.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've owned Toyotas for over 15 years...ALWAYS had a great vehicle with no issues other than the expected maintenance...I bought an 06 IS350 and had quite a few issues and recalls with it, but it didn't stop my enthusiasm for Toyota. I have an 07 DC Tundra Limited, and even though I LOVE my truck, I have noticed that the "quality" that Toyota has always been known for, has lessened over the years. "Clunking" in the tranny, rattles, shakes, and little annoyances... That's unlike Toyota. The clunking in the tranny is a known issue, and "they" say nothing can be done about it... c'mon Toyota?!

·
Registered
170 Posts
sorry if this sounds racist guys, but Anything made in America is not made to last, all about economics and repeat work, every time someone ask for the government to create work there are more issues to create that work

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
sorry if this sounds racist guys, but Anything made in America is not made to last, all about economics and repeat work, every time someone ask for the government to create work there are more issues to create that work
No offense taken, here anyway...but only because I think that perception is based almost exclusively on our major auto manufacturers and the way they've been screwing up for a few decades or so. It's hurt our reputation...and we need to make up the lost ground.

It occurred to me, as I read your comment, that I try specifically to buy things that are Made In USA...with the exception of automobiles.

Give us a shot...I think you'll find that the majority of the manufacturing facilities remaining in this country, outside of the Big 3 auto industry, really do take great pride in their work. It's when people are paid to do nothing, or people engineer obsolescence, or products are outsourced to the 3rd world...that is when quality takes a major hit.

-Sean

·
Registered
22 Posts
racist? ok...

and lest we forget the toyotas made in america, so are we saying toyotas are not made to last?

i'm definitely not knocking on toyotas, I've owned 6 of them, and loved 5 of them (one was given to me when my in laws moved, hard to love a rusted out 81 corolla that had been sitting for 4 years. but hey, threw a battery in it, squirted some starting fluid in it, and she puuuurrrrred)

anyways, i've believed from the beginning that 99% of the b.s. out there has been just that: b.s. it too reminded me of the audi debacle, where idiot american drivers (why do we have soooo many morons on the road?!) don't know the difference between a gas and a brake pedal. Make a happy heel-toe setup, and we start having "unintended acceleration" and crashing left and right. Who loses? Audi did.

But every single manufacturer has unintended acceleration claims made against them, check it out if u don't believe me. I honestly believe that it was a combination of the floor mat issue, along with an economy gone to hell that made this whole thing blow up. Think about it, you just lost your job, you are paying 400-500 a month for that top of the line car/truck you are driving, on the verge of losing your house. Or you've had your hours or pay cut back, and the payments are killing you. Why not join in the bandwagon, wreck your ride, and blame it on Toyota. Everyone else is doing it. Too bad for them, we have little black boxes in 2010, and thank god for em.

Needless to say, I'm on toyota #6, so I may be a bit biased, but my bias will eventually bring me toyo #7.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts