Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like many of us here, I'm getting the random BRAKE + ABS + TRACTION (or whatever the combo is, I need to write it down next time) on my 2006 Sequoia SR5. It seems more prone to come on while towing our camper with it's weight distributing hitch (total weight around 4,500 pounds I'd estimate -- factoring in a bit extra so that should be a high estimate). And like everyone else, it goes off after a while with restarts. But this past week, it persisted across a couple restarts over multiple days before finally going away. So I decided it's time to do something about it.

I have an ODB2 reader that connects to Torque Pro on my phone. Great for monitoring the transmission temps and getting engine codes. But I was finally clued in it can't get ABS codes and some other codes so that is why I never saw any codes when the dash lights came on...

So after some reading, I ordered up a Toyota VCI ODB2 cable from AliExpress and I'll try TIS. I don't know if we're allowed to talk about it here at this forum as technically it's not legit to use the TIS or Toyota software but I'm in the "right to repair" crowd and I think a law should be made to at least have open protocols if not force a basic tool sharing at no cost for vehicles sold here. So I have no qualms about using the software.

That said, has anyone gone down this route and found it useful? I'm expecting to find one or more of these things:
  • one or more bad wheel speed sensors (looks cheap to fix)
  • brake booster stroke sensor is bad or something else with the brake booster (can get expensive but at least you can swap it -- other threads talk about how the dealer always likes to start with bit $money$ ABS electronics/parts)
  • yaw sensor issue (might need recalibration or ???)
  • ???
I'll keep this thread updated if it's allowed. For the cable, just search "toyota vci" on eBay or AliExpress.com. I'm fairly confident my 06 Sequoia should be compatible with it. Typically, sellers include details on the software but you can google search "toyota tis" and there is more information out there -- let's leave that off of this thread to avoid issues. I've been down this path with manufacturer-specific software in the past with VAG-COM for Volkswagen/Audi/etc but that was alternative software that I paid a license for. I don't know if anything like that exists for Toyota.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Yes all around. I personally dont have it but my buddy from work does. Best thing ever. I just had to go over to his house a few weeks ago as my dash lit up. Plugged it in had the code read and removed in 5 minutes tops.
Lots of factory defaults you can change too. Seatbelt chimes off, unlock all doors with 1 button press vs 2, alarm on or off etc.
Why pay some stealership probably $100 to read a code when you can do it yourself in minutes, so screw them if they dont like that people use knock offs. Wouldnt happen if they didnt charge up the ass for 5 minutes of their time.
And there are already lots of threads on this site about people having them too so you're not alone.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Interesting, we just started towing a 5000 lb trailer with a weight distributing hitch and the combo of lights always comes on after a fair bit of driving. It goes away on restart. Interesting...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts