Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I can tell you that if I were going to do the recall, that would be the only way I would have it done and I would express my disappointment. If they did the shim, I'd drive down the block, come back and have 'em do a new pedal.

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can tell you that if I were going to do the recall, that would be the only way I would have it done and I would express my disappointment. If they did the shim, I'd drive down the block, come back and have 'em do a new pedal.

-rockstate
My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
379 Posts
It's a new design CTS pedal... I complained because my pedal was too floppy after the fix and they replaced it without a question.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's a new design CTS pedal... I complained because my pedal was too floppy after the fix and they replaced it without a question.
I thought it was just me. I hate the way the pedal feels with the "fix." I'll have to look into this.

·
Registered
379 Posts
There's a whole other thread on here a while back about it. It seems to be about 50/50 with fixes... which leads me to believe it's probably a training issue on the repair with some shops getting it right and others installing too thick of a shim.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a whole other thread on here a while back about it. It seems to be about 50/50 with fixes... which leads me to believe it's probably a training issue on the repair with some shops getting it right and others installing too thick of a shim.

Aren't all shims the same thickness?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Nope, they set a feeler gauge in there and the gap that currently exists in your pedal determines the thickness of the shim that they install. I think, and this is just my opinion, that some are installing the shim improperly and that's what is causing the "floppy pedal" syndrome.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Had mine done two weeks ago, I gave it a shot. I do not like it. Back to the dealer Friday. Do not try it on a rough road.
Hope the new one is better.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope, they set a feeler gauge in there and the gap that currently exists in your pedal determines the thickness of the shim that they install. I think, and this is just my opinion, that some are installing the shim improperly and that's what is causing the "floppy pedal" syndrome.
Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Got my pedal "fixed" last Wednesday. Going back this Thursday since the pedal flops so bad now that it's pretty much uncontrollable on rough roads.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I was hoping they were going to stop the shim sham and start doing the right thing and replacing the entire pedal.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

I agree, this is what Toyota should have done at the beginning ... doing this fix "on the cheap" is getting very expensive now.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

I agree, this is what Toyota should have been done at the onset ... doing this fix "on the cheap" is getting very expensive now.

No it's not...think about it. 2.3 millions recall..probably like 100,000 "complaints" so it'll still be cheaper than replacing 2.3 millions "new" pedals....all in SHORT-TERM economics...but hell, we live in US..everything is short-term right otherwise we wouldn't be having such deficit for our kids...whatever....

I'm going take my truck in for gas pedal repair now...hopefully they'll just replace it with a new one instead of shim and making me "complain" and come back.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I will still hold out!
It aint the freakin pedal . . . . . .

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just got a call from the dealer today, the new replacement pedal is on the way. I was really unhappy with the lame *** shim joke, especially after going off road. I did have to call Toyota and complain about it though. I agree, the shim is not the fix!!!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I may get mine done now. I'd prefer a new pedal over a shim, but I really am not concerned about the whole recall... half of the complaints are BS anyway.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts