Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I ordered my tundra, I didnt really think I would have much use for the Nav system, so I opted for the JBL system , now that I have put the first 6k miles on it I am having 2nd thoughts, I talked to the dealer to see if I could order the nav system and just install it, they tell me it can not be done, that it needs to come from the factory with it installed, the only other option is replacing the while system with the Eclipse system which I have no intention of doing... has anyone else run into this???

a curious....

-- Roksh

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
There are a few other aftermarket manuft. that make nice Nav. units. Try looking at Alpines, Pioneer's and Kenwoods.

For much less than the dealer charges for their nav. unit you can buy a very very nice, probably better aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
94 Posts
When I ordered my tundra, I didnt really think I would have much use for the Nav system, so I opted for the JBL system , now that I have put the first 6k miles on it I am having 2nd thoughts, I talked to the dealer to see if I could order the nav system and just install it, they tell me it can not be done, that it needs to come from the factory with it installed, the only other option is replacing the while system with the Eclipse system which I have no intention of doing... has anyone else run into this???

a curious....

-- Roksh

It can be done, In fact there were factory toyota directions on how to do it posted here somewhere. The dude that posted them got them with a factory nav system he bought after he bought his truck. Try doing a search.

·
Banned
8,335 Posts

a curious....

-- Roksh
Eclipse by the way makes the Oem Toyota Navi found in the Tundra and Other Toyota product's...

Your Dealership is either clueless or not willing to help that figures but indeed it can be done ..

I wouldn't invest the money or Time on a Factory Toyota Lame old school based Dvd Navi system. I had the Toyota Navi once and got raid of that unit for a Pioneer Avic z1 Hdd (harddrive) with xm navi traffic and voice rec features. Toyota has yet to Offer voice rec on music commands stored on the hard drive and I like the plus i have No cd's in my Tundra everything is stored like an I pod.The aftermarket is the way to go yes they do provide blue tooth and can go with your steering wheel controls ( Pac Mod ) and offer the rear view camera but also offer more for the money and better quality sound vs JBl which has No bass...
When It comes to Navi system Toyota doesn't provide the best sound system yea there functionally but really outdated Technology and your gaining software that is Not refined compared to the rest of the industry like Honda and Acure which provide a Top notch system and higher level's or refinement...
Erik

·
Registered
75 Posts
Eclipse by the way makes the Oem Toyota Navi found in the Tundra and Other Toyota product's...

Your Dealership is either clueless or not willing to help that figures but indeed it can be done ..

I wouldn't invest the money or Time on a Factory Toyota Lame old school based Dvd Navi system. I had the Toyota Navi once and got raid of that unit for a Pioneer Avic z1 Hdd (harddrive) with xm navi traffic and voice rec features. Toyota has yet to Offer voice rec on music commands stored on the hard drive and I like the plus i have No cd's in my Tundra everything is stored like an I pod.The aftermarket is the way to go yes they do provide blue tooth and can go with your steering wheel controls ( Pac Mod ) and offer the rear view camera but also offer more for the money and better quality sound vs JBl which has No bass...
When It comes to Navi system Toyota doesn't provide the best sound system yea there functionally but really outdated Technology and your gaining software that is Not refined compared to the rest of the industry like Honda and Acure which provide a Top notch system and higher level's or refinement...
Erik

Do you have the audio controls in the steering wheel, and if so, does your after market system work with them?

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
Do you have the audio controls in the steering wheel, and if so, does your after market system work with them?

Yea I do now with the Pac Mod everything ties in very well..Pac has the 2007 out with Bluetooth phone buttons working from the factory locations..Need any questions please Pm me. Im talking a friend into updating his 2007 Crewmax with the Pioneer Z2 But waiting on the Benzel to be fabbed..
Erik

·
Registered
113 Posts
Isn't that the key right now, that we are waiting on the bezel/install hardware to make the unit look factory installed. Once these come on the market there are plenty of choices for Nav units.
Cheers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yea I do now with the Pac Mod everything ties in very well..Pac has the 2007 out with Bluetooth phone buttons working from the factory locations..Need any questions please Pm me. Im talking a friend into updating his 2007 Crewmax with the Pioneer Z2 But waiting on the Benzel to be fabbed..
Erik

Thanks, I'll do that.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I'm already sold on the Pioneer AVIC-D3 Navigation/DVD deck. I'm just waiting for a manufacturer to come out with a stereo dash kit.

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
I'm already sold on the Pioneer AVIC-D3 Navigation/DVD deck. I'm just waiting for a manufacturer to come out with a stereo dash kit.

Pioneer used to not be a very good sound system Many moon's ago but right now there software and Navi's are top notch based on features and current Technology. I suggest to all you new Tundra owners to ditch the Factory and go aftermarket. reason is simple More feature's for your dollar's such as Voice rec music search (click on picture) and Xm Traff Navi 2 feature Toyota has yet to expand on and still using Old school Dvd rom system's. This unit is also Hdd just like Toyota new Lexus Flag ship the Ls have a Cd in the system it burns it directly on the Hdd you never have to carry a CD's again another plus with Hdd vs Dvd Rom it does Mulitasking like directions on navi, play a Movie on rear screen which is very impressive to say the least..

Erik

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Guys,
Does anyone know when the dask kit is going to be available for an aftermarket Nav unit. I getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Tundra but it doensn't have a nav system. The dealer installed an aftermarket eclipse nav unit in my Camry and I wanted to do the same in the Tundra but was told that they couldn't do it yet. So any idea how long I'd have to wait. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been using a Garmin GPS III, with a laptop, for many years. I had a look at Toyota's system and decide to get a Garmin StreetPilot 7200. It is cheaper and, since it will be on the dash, it will be more in my line of sight. It can also be used in other vehicles. It has been shipped but I haven't received it yet. I'll try to remember to post something after I've used it a while.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've been using a Garmin GPS III, with a laptop, for many years. I had a look at Toyota's system and decide to get a Garmin StreetPilot 7200. It is cheaper and, since it will be on the dash, it will be more in my line of sight. It can also be used in other vehicles. It has been shipped but I haven't received it yet. I'll try to remember to post something after I've used it a while.
How does it mount to the dash? Do you need to subscribe to any service to use it?

Its not too expensive.... Garmin Streetpilot 7200

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
How does it mount to the dash? Do you need to subscribe to any service to use it?

Gps is free your thinking of GM on star ..

One of the biggest misconception is cost there is NO cost on Gps period your hooking your truck up and finding satellites to plot your way on a map that either uses DVD ROM technology or Hard drive Hdd..

Erik

·
Registered
764 Posts
Gps is free your thinking of GM on star ..

One of the biggest misconception is cost there is NO cost on Gps period your hooking your truck up and finding satellites to plot your way on a map that either uses DVD ROM technology or Hard drive Hdd..

Erik
Yep. Your tax dollars at work. Same reason you don't have to directly pay a toll every time you drive the interstate system. It's built into your fuel taxes. The GPS satellite array was put into place by our own DOD and part of what you pay every April 15th goes towards it's maintenance. If you're really interested in good coverage wait until the triple-mode satellite navigation units hit the market (not any time soon). They will pick up not only GPS but also the GLONASS array (Rusky satellites) and Galileo (EU nav foray in it's start-up phase). Having dozens more satellites visible on your horizon using all three arrays will give much better signal strength and inherent baseline precision. Plus, you won't be subject to the whims of whatever governing body controls the signal. Wake up now. I guess I've got too much information as usual....

·
Registered
764 Posts
It is pretty cool but don't forget that this unit is first and foremost a PDA based on a Microsoft operating system. It runs a Windows Pocket-PC application for your nav.

I have hundreds of hours flying behind an iPaq 2215 PDA running GPS moving-map software linked to a Bluetooth GPS and a few hours less with the XM Weather option. I also ran the same manufacture's software on a tablet-based PC in Windows environment.

I won't go into further detail as I'm usually too windy. So I'll cut to the chase:

Final analysis: If you want a PDA, get a PDA. If you want a GPS system, get a dedicate GPS system. Never place trust in an MS-OS-Based computer, no matter the size. An iPaq is a compromise of too many functions and will be cumbersome, quirky and inconvenient to use. The screen will also not be optimized for the mobile outdoor enviroment. Leave it in your pocket and buy something similar to the new Garmin Nuvi line or equivalent. Then you just turn it on when it's time to navigate and turn it off when it's time to park. There is no daily PC docking, synchronizing, MS BSOD's or fragile PDA cases to deal with. Don't try to rationalize the purchase of a PDA for navigation purposes because you think you will start to use it for all sorts of other neat stuff. That generally doesn't pan out. Pocket-PC based PDA's have fallen out of favor in the last two years and many of the manufacturers have bailed out of making them anymore due to poor market demand. If you don't use a pure-PDA today you probably never will as they have been superceded by smart phones and similar techonogy. Same way wrist watches have begun to go by the way-side as the younger generation always has the current time on their cell phones, cars, computers and iPods.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts