Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to posting here, but I have been reading here for years. I am grateful for the amount of info on this site that has saved me hundreds of dollars wasted on repairs at the dealer/shop. I know there are plenty of threads about the Toytec spacers vs. Bilstein 5100's on this site and on others. I chose Toytec on recommendation. However, after having it installed on my 2008 Cmax 2wd today, I only get 1-1.25" additional lift in the front with the 2.5" spacer. Why is this? I've not seen anyone else post this concern/issue. Should I have them removed and put in the Bilstein's? The Toyota dealer doing the lift said my struts need replacement (at 88K miles), so I'm guessing I should have just gone Bilstein to begin with. Thanks in advance for any comments/help! FYI, the rest of the truck is stock except for the Toytec lift. Tires are next once I get this problem sorted out.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Just wondering where you measured to know its 1-1.25 inches of lift?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I measured from the ground to fender, right through the center of the wheel. 36" before/37" after fronts and 39.5" before/40.25" after 1" block on the rears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I measured the spacer and confirmed with Toytec that I would get a true 2.5" of lift. I also bought the extra spacer to make it a 3" lift but decided against it at the last minute, thinking I wouldn't get enough rake. I wanted 1.5-2" of rake. Before the lift, I had 3.5" of rake. Now I have 3". Since the LF shock is leaking, I will probably just get Bilstein 5100's all the way around and set the fronts for 2.5" of lift and remove the Toytec spacer in the process... Kind of a waste of money to do it that way, but... I'm thinking as you said that the springs/shocks absorbed some of it. Same thing with the back. I didn't get a full 1" of lift with the 1" lift block.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
what are they made of? i hate to say it, but after a few weeks the springs will settle more; i bet you can get a half inch or more from your tire pressure. remember to get an alignment but wait 500 miles for best results.
View attachment 81083

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you saying "the springs will settle more" in response to the Toytec aluminum spacers or the Bilstein adjustable shocks? I have to do something at this point. Either I will get regular shocks/struts and put the 3" Toytec lift in or go with the adjustable Bilsteins and take the Toytec lift out. The alignment was a part of the install. The Toyota dealer aligned the truck, but the steering wheel is off center now. I'm not very happy with the install all the way around... Thanks for your input/help.

·
Registered
842 Posts
is the truck on a level surface or the same exact place u measured it before you lifted it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Measuring from the ground is not the most accurate way when measuring the difference in lift from a leveling kit. Ideal, is measuring before and after from the fender to the top of the wheel rim. .02

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Measured 3 different ways: ground to fender, center of front hub/axle to fender, and top of tire to fender. All three of those measurements show 1-1.25" of "after install" height compared to 2.5" spacer. And yes, I took the measurements at the exact same places before and after -- in my garage and in my parking spot at work. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Todd, I have some factory nonTRD SR5 coils with about 45k miles I can ship down to you whenever you'd like.

However, my recommendation would be to go with Old Man Emu. That's what I took my factory (nonabused) coils off the truck for and really like the ride. I got like 2.5" lift from 'em but you can get different coils all the way to 3.5 (stay at <3 if you're doing a lift though).

-rockstate

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rockstate-

Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind. I'm going to mull over my options over the next week and decide what to do. I will probably just order OME's, as you suggested. My LF shock is leaking, so it makes sense to replace the front shocks. And, since you have to pull the coils out at the same time, it's probably best to just replace shocks and coils. Toytec has responded to me concerning this problem, but I'm not sure if they will help with a refund/credit or if I'm stuck with the spacers I had installed. I'm looking for 2.5-3" of front lift over stock and a 1-2" rake. Right now, I have 1" lift blocks on the back. Hopefully, with the OME's up front, I'll end up with at least a 1" rake, though I'd prefer more. My pre-lift measurements showed 3.5" of rake (too much, IMO) -- now I have 3".

I'll let you know if I change my mind and want your coils. I appreciate the offer! I just want to get this done right and not have to mess around with it over and over again! I'm either going with LT275/70R18E Coopers or LT295/70R18E Nittos as part of all this. I'm thinking the 275's will look too small once I finally achieve the 2.5-3" lift on the front I'm looking for.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Yeah you can't go wrong with the 295/70/18 Nittos! I'm running the Terras on mine and they're a very good tire.

Also, I have both the shocks and coils. Just need to be assembled.

-rockstate

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Nope I am not.

I've had the tires on for 15k miles and everything seems fine with the transmission but you could probably get away with running one to be safe.

-rockstate

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rockstate-

Did you have to do any mods to the front end to get your Nittos to fit? Toytec is telling me I'll have to do some mods/cutting to get them to fit, even with the OME lift kit. I thought I had seen a pic on here somewhere where someone put them on a stock truck (no lift) without mods.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I did indeed have to trim the skid plate. I had previously removed my mudflaps for the look, but you might have to remove those as well. Someone posted that they rub on the sway bar at full lock, but I've never noticed it.. If they rub, they don't rub hard and you don't feel the individual lugs.. However, I never go full lock in offf camber to get it to rub like that...

Anyway, long story short... skidplate trim and you'll be golden.

OME is a great kit and Toytec is a great vendor for the kit.

-rocksrtate

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the OME 3" coils & shocks installed today. I also had the OME shocks installed on the rear. The front came out with a full 3" lift over my stock measurements (now 39" ground to fender, 24" hub center to fender). Will the springs settle after a while and lose some height? Right now, I'm thinking about putting the 1.5" blocks in the rear in place of the 1" because there isn't enough rake (only about 1.25" right now). However, if the front will settle 0.5", I'll leave the rears alone. Also, is there a recommendation on how long to wait for an alignment? I didn't have it done today because the shop ran out of time. Also, Nitto Terra Grapplers (295 70 18's) are on order and will be in late next week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts