Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a quote from a local shop for $500 to install the toytec spacer lift. claimed 4 to 5 hours and would also do a 4 wheel alignment.

seems like alot of hours

does anybody remember how much they were charged for this?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I paid around $300 for a STRUT install WITH alignment.

You should be out the door for around half that... but certainly no more than 300. I could have gotten mine done for about $220, but I knew the guy installing it on mine and trusted him since he's built up 13 or so Toyota's before.

-rockstate

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
uh...do it yourself? its super easy...i did mine and paid myself 0 bucks an hour..then got a lifetime alignment deal for like 75 bucks with an online coupon for NTB...so basically, 75 bucks for labor/alignment for mine.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks MG ... figured it was too expensve ...

Hey Barney .. how did you handle the coil spring compression?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Thanks MG ... figured it was too expensve ...

Hey Barney .. how did you handle the coil spring compression?
with my fingers...

haha jk. actually the spacer lift i got was one that went ontop of the strut assembly and didnt require the spring compressor as nothing was taken apart like that, just the entire assy out of the truck, and this bolted to the top and put back in...didnt pay attn to what kind of lift u were askin about...if the spring compressor route was the one i was going to take i'd probally have someone do it too...spring compressors can scare the heck out of me haha

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool ... that is what had me looking for a shop to screw with it ... not interested in having to create some contraption with ratchets and straps that results in damage to my truck or myself.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Every time I think about spring compressors I picture the spring getting loose... Scarry
I had 5100's installed which should be around the same thing and same time, I was charged $200 then had to take it to another shop to do the alignment for $50. When I called around to local shops the quotes ranged from $200-$500 so call around. I ended up going with a local off road shop. Good luck

·
Registered
603 Posts
That price you were quoted isnt too bad. I mean it is high but they are not going to do it for nothing. Usually you can find it cheaper at places that do many level lifts. I believe this has something to do with the learning curve and the fact that it should take no more than 3 hours including alignment with an equipped shop/ competent tech. The shops quoting higher prices prob have little or no experience installing them and are just trying to cover their ass for any unforeseen events.

That being said, it is very easy to do it yourself if you have some time and some basic tools. I did mine in about 6 hours, but I did an OME lift and had to build/breakdown my struts. Again 500 is a bit high, but it is not unreasonable. If it is a mechanic you trust, then go for it. Shopping around for the best price when it comes to a safety item like suspension isnt always the best idea. Go with someone you trust and if you can't find that person, do it yourself

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
i was thing 3 hours for the struts and the rear blocks...

most alignments are around 60-75.. I will say aligning after is a major pain in the azz... everything is completely out of wack...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just had my Truxx installed for $250 labor and $130 alignment.. ($$ in NorCal). Coulda done it myself but just thought giving it to a shop that does them all day is just easier.. plus it gives me more time on the water..... :D

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
got a quote from a local shop for $500 to install the toytec spacer lift. claimed 4 to 5 hours and would also do a 4 wheel alignment.

seems like alot of hours

does anybody remember how much they were charged for this?
My dealer did my Toytec 2.5"/1" lift and alignment, they charged $400 for the whole thing and they warranty it so i figured it was worth it, my buddys a service manager at the dealership and he supervised the whole thing, even took some pics along the way so i could see. The added security was worth it to me. I had them mount, and balance my new AT KO's too as well as dispose of the old rugged trails. Trucks been great, got 12K with the lift.

I think the whole bill with an oil change and lube was ~$500-575.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
it is a lot of work,, i dont care what people say in here,, its a pain..

·
Registered
681 Posts
I paid $240 to have my 5100's installed, but that included mounting/balancing/changing over the air sensors to my new wheels and the alignment.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Did mine with Bilstein 5100s front and back with 1.5" rear blocks (Toytec) and only needed to compress the front struts. It is easy enough to do if you're patient. Get the coil-compressor free of charge from an Advanced Auto... typically they let you "buy" it for up to 30 days and then return it free of charge. Just make sure it seats properly on the springs and you'll be fine. Alignment is usually $80 to $90 afterwards...

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
it is a lot of work,, i dont care what people say in here,, its a pain..
how is it alot of work? regardless of if you do a spacer on top, a spacer that requires a spring compressor, or 5100s, its all very simple. loosen some bolts, take some bolts out, use a pry bar to line things up, and put it back together. wasnt hard on my truck at all. of course i didnt do the spring compressor version, but thats not hard either, we did some work on a friends F body using a spring compressor before, and once you are over the fact you can lose an arm or eye, its really no big deal. certainly not worth 500 bucks. the rear blocks are as simple as they come...i did those during my kid's naps one day...just make sure u have a deep enough socket for the new u bolts...

and NTB didnt have any issue on the alignment at all...wasnt "way out of whack" but was certainly needing to be done...i gave them the spec sheet i got with the instructions and they did it in about half hour...no issues since november or december, whenever it was done, i cant recall....75 bucks for alignment...thought it was a lifetime one maybe just a year long i cant recall..but it was an online coupon... not bad at all. 75 bucks total install is better than 500 :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I Paid $200.00 for the levering kit install.......
but $500.00 for labor is common price quote, I went to several shops here in Northern cali and this price was very commonly told to me.......all day job since it will require 5-6 hours...

·
Registered
422 Posts
I paid 300 to install the LRO kit. It's a little high but I got everything done at the same shop so the 100 bucks extra over the "cheap" guy was just convenience tax to me. 30 bucks for 4 tire mount/balance and 90 bucks for 4 wheel alignment on top of that.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now i am re-thinking my toytec idea and contemplating the OME coil/shock setup ... but need to save some more money up before i can do that

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
how is it alot of work? regardless of if you do a spacer on top, a spacer that requires a spring compressor, or 5100s, its all very simple. loosen some bolts, take some bolts out, use a pry bar to line things up, and put it back together. wasnt hard on my truck at all. of course i didnt do the spring compressor version, but thats not hard either, we did some work on a friends F body using a spring compressor before, and once you are over the fact you can lose an arm or eye, its really no big deal. certainly not worth 500 bucks. the rear blocks are as simple as they come...i did those during my kid's naps one day...just make sure u have a deep enough socket for the new u bolts...

and NTB didnt have any issue on the alignment at all...wasnt "way out of whack" but was certainly needing to be done...i gave them the spec sheet i got with the instructions and they did it in about half hour...no issues since november or december, whenever it was done, i cant recall....75 bucks for alignment...thought it was a lifetime one maybe just a year long i cant recall..but it was an online coupon... not bad at all. 75 bucks total install is better than 500 :)
so how long did it take you? the rears took a naps time,, whats that 1-2 hours?

Just dont think it as easy as you make it seem for a normal person... especially depending on what tools they may have...

Did you do the diff drop? Just can't see it,... if spending a whole day in the driveway is easy for you ,, hey thats cool.. but most don't look at it that way..

not trying to be a dick here,, but someone doing this at home with hand tools,, will take a whole afternoon if they have SOME auto experience,,, its not just a whoop whoop done in a hour,, thats all I mean...

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Now i am re-thinking my toytec idea and contemplating the OME coil/shock setup ... but need to save some more money up before i can do that
the kits like my truxx kit, or like barney is describing is easier to install and remove if you want to take it out.. but please dont think it a quick little hour or 2 worth of work..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts