Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my truck in because on 5/12 while my wife was driving the truck the tpms light came on and stayed. On friday 5/15 I went to a local tire dealer and had nitrogen put in my tires(it was on $22) and went to my local dealer to set an appointment to get the truck checked out which was today 5/18. The tech did the check said he reset the sensors because 3 of the 4 had gone to sleep, the service rep told me because Toyota didn't put the nitrogen in that they probably only replace one sensor but not others. This kind of caught me by surprise because this was brought to their attention the day the light came on, the nitrogen was done after the fact. I would think the nitrogen would be like an exhaust change or adding a cai, am I wrong thinking like this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
I dont think the Nitrogen did anything to your TPMS. I would like to know if it does, I would like Nitrogen in my new tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
$22 bucks to air up your tires.......what a deal! Yes, getting Nitro in your tires will give gains about same as an after mkt exhaust and CAI combined. Big bang for your buck that Nitro....thats what we call it here at the shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hehe I kept refering to it as nitrogen because if I write nitro I think of the NOS type systems and then fast and furious pops in to my head where they say it as a word, My original concern though is would it void the warranty on the tpms with me switching to nitro in the tires. Actually after the tires were refilled with nitro the light went off after a couple of days but I still had it checked out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
Nitrogen has nothing to do with a TPMS light coming on or not, other than sensing a lower pressure than was calculated during a TPMS reset. The TPMS must be reset any time you change tire pressure...it's in your Owner's Manual, along with the correct procedure.

Nitrogen does make tires run cooler, is less sensitive to ambient temp changes. NASCAR and airliners use it in their tires, so if you want to go fast and fly high have at it. I get mine filled with nitrogen for free at CostCo. The air you breath is 80% nitrogen........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
they must see "SUCKER" written on your forehead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
I have some swamp land in Nevada for sale.
Actually nitrogen in tires is becoming much more common as its benefits are known. It is especially useful if you live in a humid climate such as Florida. Filling tires with outside air there can create a lot of water in a tire over time, and that leads to rot from the inside out. More and more 18 wheelers use it because it keeps tire temps lower, and heat is a large factor in tire failures.

Nitrogen in Tires : Information about Nitrogen Tire Inflation News, Benefits, Generator Dealers, Location Finder & More

Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Tires - Nitrogen air loss study

Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Nitrogen in tires - Q&A
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
Nitrogen did not impact your TPMSs in any way... most places including your neighborhood Costco do it without any added fee. Keep in mind the air is already 80% nitrogen, so we're talking the other ~20%. Helps with not deflating over time. There is a small black button under your steering wheel near where your knees are that you can press to reset your TPMS level. Use it after the tires are properly inflated and it will reset to THAT level. If any of your tire pressure levels go below that level over time, you'll see the warning light go off. If the sensors themselves are bad, Toyota should replace them WITHOUT cost.
BTW, do NOT pay for getting Nitrogen in your tires... plenty of places offer it free-of-charge when doing basic tire maintenance (i.e. balancing/rotating/etc.).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Actually nitrogen in tires is becoming much more common as its benefits are known. It is especially useful if you live in a humid climate such as Florida. Filling tires with outside air there can create a lot of water in a tire over time, and that leads to rot from the inside out. More and more 18 wheelers use it because it keeps tire temps lower, and heat is a large factor in tire failures.

Nitrogen in Tires : Information about Nitrogen Tire Inflation News, Benefits, Generator Dealers, Location Finder & More

Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Tires - Nitrogen air loss study

Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Nitrogen in tires - Q&A

we're not debating the benefits of nitrogen here - just the fact the original poster got taken at his stealership. ... tpms sensors going to "sleep" and toyota not covering the sensors becuause they did not put the nitrogen in the tires. riiiight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top