Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this issue has been hashed and re-hashed... i even saw a few threads on it, but i didn't see an answer to my question in any of them.

I just joined the Tundra ownership family and after about 25 miles of driving and one night in my driveway.. the TPMS indicator light is lit on the dash.

I've checked the air pressure and made a couple of adjustments and the front, rear, and spare are all where they need to be. So i go and press and hold down the reset button underneath the steering wheel (as directed in the OM) and the light blinks 3 times, then stays lit. If i'm reading correctly, the light should go off after 3 blinks and only come back on if there is a pressure issue.... Is there more to resetting this than i'm reading?

Again, i'm 48 hours new to my truck, so i may just be overlooking something.... any suggested remedys would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Youre doing it right.....if it just started doing this and you air pressure is theyre might be wrong w/ the TPMS.

Did you recently replace your wheels or tires?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Youre doing it right.....if it just started doing this and you air pressure is theyre might be wrong w/ the TPMS.

Did you recently replace your wheels or tires?

Well, i just bought the truck a couple of days ago from a dealer. The tires look brand new, so i'm sure the dealer changed them before puting the truck out on the lot. But, the light never came on during the total of 45 minutes of test driving i did on the truck before purchasing it. I just thought it strange that it would come on the day after i brought it home after sitting in my driveway overnight.

Is there any harm in ignoring the light if i keep a close eye on the tire pressure? I'm accustomed to checking this monthly on all the cars i own.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Well, i just bought the truck a couple of days ago from a dealer. The tires look brand new, so i'm sure the dealer changed them before puting the truck out on the lot. But, the light never came on during the total of 45 minutes of test driving i did on the truck before purchasing it. I just thought it strange that it would come on the day after i brought it home after sitting in my driveway overnight.

Is there any harm in ignoring the light if i keep a close eye on the tire pressure? I'm accustomed to checking this monthly on all the cars i own.

Thats weird....you might want to take it back to the dealer and have them just check it out since you just purchased it from them.

But no, it wont hurt anything if its flashing. Like you said just keep an eye on your tire pressure, if over a few days the pressure's steady there could be something wrong w/ your TPMS or an individual sensor. Either way no big deal since most people that get aftermarket wheels disable the TPMS itself.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Did you adjust the pressure in the spare tire? I know my 06 DC has one in the spare and i think the 05 Tundras had them also! It needs to be reset after you adjust all 5 if you have metal valve stems on the spare it's got the TPMS in it! Adjust the spare then reset per OM! If that does not fix it i would take it back to dealer and let them repair the sensor they damaged during tire R&R!:)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Make sure the dealer who sold the truck to you fixes it. Each TPMS is expensive and when you resell that ruck, you don't want to have to pay that repair !

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
does the light blink on initial startup? if it does then you have a code stored in the ECU. if it stays on when you start your truck up then it's just an air pressure issue. but if it blinks on startup then you have a code stored and possible need 1 or more sensors replaced and to reprogram them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Worse case scenario you can always clip the pink wire behind the dash that will shut that annoying light off. After I had my new wheels put the dingleberries at the tire shop sail that the TPSMs couldn't be fit on the new rims. I think they just forgot to put them in and didn't want to remount the tires. I found the thread on where to find the wire to cut, did it and that was that. Sure my horn comes on everytime I hit the brakes but you have to take the good with the bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts