Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Six days ago I had my new BFG's installed and no TPMS light. Everything was fine and then today the light came on. I read some old threads and my manual and tried the reset. After further investigation I realize that the light is blinking at startup meaning that there is a malfunction.
So the question is, Do you think that Firestone did something during the install? If it took six days to come on I'm thinking not. Next question is Do you think that the toyota dealer will be any help or will they take one look at my new tires and say it was the installers fault? I'm running the tires at approx. 45psi.

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had a tire shop break the sensor completely off during an install, it took about a week for the sensor to completely give up the ghost due to the beating it took bouncing around inside the tire.

Or they could have cracked it during installation and it finally broke.

I'd almost put money on it being the tire installers fault, just my .02

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should add that one of the tires I got from tire rack was bad (took too much weight to balance) so they shipped me a replacement. I plan to go back to firestone and let them know about the tpms problem and see how helpful they will be....

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I never really got any help on this when I posted the thread so I'm not expecting much this time either but worth a try!

Now the light is back off again and not blinking at startup??? Anyone got any guesses?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Big drop in ambient temperature?

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big drop in ambient temperature?
Thanks, No I changed tires so the pressure is way higher in the new ones. I think that the installer broke one of the sensors but now I don't know since the light is out again...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Even that can be solved if all the sensors are kept in a pressurized PVC pipe. :tu:

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am on the site a lot and i am aware of all the past threads... I don't want to tape over it or do the pressurized tube, I'll just have it fixed. It's just weird that sometimes I get the blinking light for one minute (which means its malfunctioning somewhere) and sometimes its not even illuminated.

·
Registered
420 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am on the site a lot and i am aware of all the past threads... I don't want to tape over it or do the pressurized tube, I'll just have it fixed. It's just weird that sometimes I get the blinking light for one minute (which means its malfunctioning somewhere) and sometimes its not even illuminated.

I had a sensor broken when changing tires they are very fragile, you light also try lowering the presure, I thought I read somewhere the sensors can go off on high presure as well as low presure.

·
Marine Veteran
826 Posts
I too just had the light issue that you are having and I have not yet gone back to have it looked at. I am looking to sell my Tundra here very soon so I have been selling most of my parts that will not get me anything extra on the trade-in (ie: headlights, tail lights, wheels, and such).

The guy I sold my wheels to works at Toyota and he said he is having the issue as well so i am going to probably let him take care of it.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
That is not a fix, what is next taping over the maint light when that comes on?
no, that one is actually easy to reset :)

as for your sensors, sounds like you might have one thats going bad...since it comes and goes. not sure what the battery life is supposed to be on these things....3 years old shouldnt be too long...my 97 corvette's sensors were still doing well when i traded it in in 07....of course it got alot less driving so who knows. you can try to talk to the tire installer about it and if they wotn take care of it, since it was several days later it might be hard to prove. you are probally close to out of warranty with toyota if you arent already. if you still have some coverage left, take it to them and see. if all else fails, people are selling sensors here in our classifieds section or on ebay all the time and you can get one cheaper...just have to program it then.... good luck...

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a sensor broken when changing tires they are very fragile, you light also try lowering the presure, I thought I read somewhere the sensors can go off on high presure as well as low presure.
I did the recalibration so I don't think that would be it. Maybe if I'm lucky it'll stay off this time!!! Thanks for all the thoughts everyone!

·
Registered
356 Posts
My light started coming on a few weeks after discount tire mounted my new tires, only in really cold weather at first then whenever, would stay on then go off,,,, been off for 3-4 months now though,,, I put a piece of a dark post it note over the light for awile....

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
We've had wacky weather here in FL this winter. Mine comes on anytime we get a 20 degree or so temp drop and then goes off when warmer. The TPMS in my Pilot does not do this.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The first time it came on I got out and checked all the tires but now I just ignore it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts