Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Track record for 2010

5K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  cavi 
#1 ·
My local dealer is trying desperately to rid the lot of 2010s. We recently bought a travel trailer weighing in at about 6000lbs. I was planning on towing it (slowly) with my 2005 Tundra. I don't think I can pass up the deal on a 2010.

Question: Those of you who own a 2010, what has been your experience? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Inquiring mind (and esp. his wife) wants to know,
Teach

#2 ·
It's the 4th year they've made the same generation so I'd say most of the bugs are worked out at this point. Although I'm sure someone will mention the air induction pump (aip). Just look it up if you're curious.

#3 ·
Only had mine for 3 months.. 3400 miles.. I love it! Only towed a Sportster behind it and put a dirt bike in the bed so far.. the 5.7 has PLENTY of power. My wife loves the roomie CrewMax.

#4 ·
I did the same thing, traded in my 04. Couldn't pass up the deal either. So far its been fine, there are the usual things, AIP issue was mentioned but just unplug the pumps if you don't want to worry about it. Drive the truck and check for bed bounce, some have it some don't. If the bed feels like a tuning fork when you hit bumps then you've got it. My long bed may be worse for this than other beds. Thats pretty much it. The truck drives nice and towing my boat I don't even know its back there. I'm planning on getting a travel trailer soon also to tote the dirt bikes and quads. The only bad thing about the Tundra is the gas mileage. Really the worst of all the trucks but thats due to the low rear end, 4.30 with tow package, but its also the reason they pull so well.

#5 ·
I have a Rock Warrior with 13000 miles on it. I have only bee to the dealer for 2 services. No issues, yet, I can hear the AIP in the morning when I start it up, it runs for a few minutes (seconds) and then shuts off. Pulled a pop up camper with about another 1000 lbs of gear with out even knowing it was there. I am getting better milage at 15.7 average for the year and lately it has been sitting at 17.7 on the highway and 15 in town.

The only thing that may be an issue is my fuel gauge (doesn't read correctly) and the trans shifts hard when your on it hard and it's cold.

Good luck with it.

#6 ·
I bought 2010 DC SR5 4x4 5.7L in April. I pull a toy hauler that weighs about 6000# with my road bike loaded and it pulls very nicely. I've had absolutely no issues with the truck. I traded a '99 F250 that pulled the same load with much better fuel economy but the Tundra pulls stronger and it's better planted.

#8 ·
I only have 2K on '10 CM, but I love it. The 5.7L is awesome. Easily out pulls the Audi sport sedan that I traded in. Best 'little' things are the adjustable headlights, iPod interface, XM. Only negative is the bed hop. My wifes '06 has the same issue...just a Tundra thing I guess. It's only noticable on certain highways (mostly the concrete, grooved ones), and at certain speeds.

Attachments

#9 ·
If you couldn't tell from my previous post I love my truck. I am not worried about the fuel gauge (idiot light comes on with 6 gallons left), as for the trans, no biggie (no load and i stood on it, I would shift a bit hard too). Gas mileage is way better than anything else I have spent of lot of time in.

Drive one, you'll fall in love, take the wife so will she.

#10 ·
I did the same thing, traded in my 04. Couldn't pass up the deal either. So far its been fine, there are the usual things, AIP issue was mentioned but just unplug the pumps if you don't want to worry about it. Drive the truck and check for bed bounce, some have it some don't. If the bed feels like a tuning fork when you hit bumps then you've got it. My long bed may be worse for this than other beds. Thats pretty much it. The truck drives nice and towing my boat I don't even know its back there. I'm planning on getting a travel trailer soon also to tote the dirt bikes and quads. The only bad thing about the Tundra is the gas mileage. Really the worst of all the trucks but thats due to the low rear end, 4.30 with tow package, but its also the reason they pull so well.
Not necessarily true. Most of the real world comparisons show that the Tundra & F-150 are tied for the best overall "real-world" MPG numbers.

But yeah, these are great trucks. I had a 2007 4.7 DoubleCab, and now my 2010 5.7 Crewmax... Love it, no complaints worth mentioning.

#12 ·
My truck gets great gas mileage for a 2.5 ton truck with almost 400 hp... Haven't had any problems, its a great truck with plenty of room and plenty of power. If you are concerned with long term wear, get an extended warranty. I am very happy with mine and do not regret it for a second.

#13 ·
2010 DC, bought 7-04-09, 33,800 miles with no issues at all. Gas mileage is great for a full size truck that runs like these do.

#14 ·
Bought mine in May. Flawless so far. Crewmax is very roomy. Test drive one and that may very well decide for you.

#15 ·
My 2010 DC 4X has 13800 miles,no issues. Readout shows 17-18 MPG'S,hand calculating shows 17-18 MPGs:DYou and your Bride need to drive a few trucks,F-150 for sure,If you don't need a 6.5' bed, then add the GM 1/2 tons too,Dodge dealerships have plenty of Rams sittin' around,take one out..Educate yourselves to whats available; normally the salesreps will be of VERY little help!

#16 ·
Thanks to all. Wife was concerned about recent Toyota problems (she drives an '03 Avalon). I was concerned about the gas mileage, somewhat, but mechanical issues were most important.

What the heck is an air induction pump? Some kind of supercharger wannabe?

Teach

#17 ·
Thanks to all. Wife was concerned about recent Toyota problems (she drives an '03 Avalon). I was concerned about the gas mileage, somewhat, but mechanical issues were most important.

What the heck is an air induction pump? Some kind of supercharger wannabe?

Teach
Emission control system that turns on at start up to heat up the cats quicker to reduce cold start pollution. System normally has not been a problem on most vehicles, but the new Tundra system is poorly designed and basically defective. Plus the fact that toyota charges gold like prices for their plastic pumps and more than a few folks have gotten screwed under the problem. Pumps fill up with water and then the water recirculates through the system, either causing pump failure, or air valve failure, which in the open position puts the truck in limp mode(max of 45mph).

#20 ·
Man, I clicked on this thread hoping to see a Tundra setting a record on a track

-Tim

#21 ·
What am i missing? If it is an emissions control device, it should be covered for 5/50 under federal law. Were the folks who were shafted over the 50K on mileage?

Teach
Wasn't covered under the Fed emission. Up until just recently it was only covered under the 3yr/36K mile standard warranty. It is now covered for 5years/60K miles due to the severity of the problem. Yes a lot of folks ended up paying for it when Toyota denied coverage based on "water intrusion", basically blaming the defect on the customer. Considering all the Tundra forums combined probably make up 5% or less of owners, I would imagine there are still alot of folks getting screwed on this deal.

#22 ·
Man, I clicked on this thread hoping to see a Tundra setting a record on a track

-Tim
Dang it... you said it before I could!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have had my 2010 Crewmax since late April and have no regrets. Got around 4800 miles. I came from a 2001 Tundra and I love the room and power. I am not a big fan of the "THIN" paint job though. (There are plenty of threads discussing this)

I would go out and drive everything so that you know in your mind that you got what suites you best! At the end of the day it's your money!

Good Luck

#23 ·
I just traded my '04 DC Limited for a '10 DC SR-5 TRD. Loved the old '04 but it had a hard time towing my 6K lb toy hauler. The '10 doesn't even know the trailer is back there! Night and day difference! It's real hard not to smile! Of course, round town gas mileage (~15mpg) with the 5.7L on the '10 isn't as good as the 4.7L in the old truck but when I'm towing, the mileage on the '10 is actually better (~10-11mpg.) The new truck is an absolute BEAST compared to the '04.

#24 ·
traded my '08 4.7 DC for a '10 5.7 Crewmax LTD last week. i looked at everything out there last time and this time again. i personally think the Tundra is one of the best 1/2 ton trucks out on the market. the sticker on my Crewmax LTD was 47,511 and i ended up getting them down to 39.5k and 0% for 60 months

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.