Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Traction Control & Engine Lights On, VSC Flashing

94K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  sataie 
#1 ·
I have searched a couple of threads, but several seemed to be on the funtion of the VSC & traction control. Here is my problem: I have the Traction Control Light and Engine light on. The VSC is flashing. They came on while I was moving my empty dump trailer around the yard this morning. I called a local dealer and they said as long as the engine light was not flashing it was okay to drive the truck. I have only ran a couple of errands with it today. On the way back from the pool tonight I noticed that the transmission would not go into select shift. The light comes on but the number indicator does not come up. I tried to shift it when someone from a tread said that with two of these lights theirs would not shift into 5th gear. My engine is not knocking, or is there any jumping while the truck shifts.

I have 41,000 on my 2007 CM 2WD.

Any ideas? I think I'm going to call the dealer I bought it from on Monday morning. Do you think it would hurt to drive it to the dealer? About 20 miles away.

#3 ·
You've hit the nail on the head. The fuse is blown. I will have to get one because there is not an extra 10A. I hope this will cancel the Service engine lights and I will not have to go to the dealer to get them to reset the computer. I'll let you know once I put a new fuse in.

#4 ·
You've hit the nail on the head. The fuse is blown. I will have to get one because there is not an extra 10A. I hope this will cancel the Service engine lights and I will not have to go to the dealer to get them to reset the computer. I'll let you know once I put a new fuse in.
well once you change the fuse everything will be fine until you plug in your trailer again. You'll need to have the dealer rewire the truck. They put in a different harness behind the glovebox. Something to do with the way the harness is wiring now (to european standards or something) anyway when the truck is put in reverse it causes a short in the wiring harness and blows the fuse and that same circuit is power for the vsc indication circuit which causes the faults. The dealer will hook you up, there is a TSB for this problem and it only took about 30 minutes. Let me know if you have any more questions.

#6 ·
nice join my man,, beat me to it...

#7 ·
Thanks 2007dctrundra4x4. I have replaced the fuse and the select shift is working again, but lights still on. I'll call the dealer in the morning.

#8 ·
Thanks 2007dctrundra4x4. I have replaced the fuse and the select shift is working again, but lights still on. I'll call the dealer in the morning.
light will now go off with a battery reset, but no need it should still drive fine, i would just take it to the dealer as-is. Also, if you didn't notice your cruise control wouldn't have worked also.

Glad i could help. I towed an RV from Washington to NJ and then to several campgrounds up and down the east coast no problem. Was on the way to Michigan and fuse went out, strange how it took that long. I got the TSB done and no problem since.

#9 ·
Lowering kit put on about 2 weeks ago. My ABS and Traction Light Codes are on and my VSC is flashing.

What should I do?

#10 ·
Lowering kit put on about 2 weeks ago. My ABS and Traction Light Codes are on and my VSC is flashing.

What should I do?
There is a good chance that yours needs a zero point calibration. Lift kits do, so a lowering kit probably does also.:cool:

#13 ·
There is a good chance that yours needs a zero point calibration. Lift kits do, so a lowering kit probably does also.:cool:
Thanks man! I will check into this tomorrow.

#14 ·
Wire was severd by lowering kit that I had installed. Installer took care of it by soldering wire back together and relocating all the wires in the area so that it won't happen again. Unfortunately this was after paying $89 for the diagnostic; they also wanted to charge me $112 for a new wiring harness and $133 for labor so I am fortunate that the installer was able to take care of this.......

#15 ·
Wire was severd by lowering kit that I had installed. Installer took care of it by soldering wire back together and relocating all the wires in the area so that it won't happen again. Unfortunately this was after paying $89 for the diagnostic; they also wanted to charge me $112 for a new wiring harness and $133 for labor so I am fortunate that the installer was able to take care of this.......
Was it a wheel sensor wire that got cut???
There seems to be a pattern to which dash lights are on or flashing for different problems. I have not found that information documented anywhere so I have been trying to sort it out with a spreadsheet.:beatsme:

#16 ·
Was it a wheel sensor wire that got cut???
There seems to be a pattern to which dash lights are on or flashing for different problems. I have not found that information documented anywhere so I have been trying to sort it out with a spreadsheet.:beatsme:
Yes, it was a wheel sensor wire that got cut. The diagnostic showed them that it was this wire running to the right rear of the vehicle.......

#18 ·
i know exactly whats wrong with it. Your reverse light fuse is blown also i bet. Check the lights and see if the are working when you put the truck in reverse. did you plug the trailer in? let me know and i'll type out the explanation.

Thank you 2007dctundra4x and tundrasolutions.

Had the same issue. Happened last week while buddy was dropping me and the boat off first day of the trip. Drove it the rest of the week. Today I got the scanner and it led me to this post.

Question: This points to a faulty harness? I've been towing for 3 years with no issue. Is this a free replacement out of warranty or a DIY with a new harness?

Either way its nicer then a new AIP out of warranty.

Thanks again.

By the way, went to Autozone and they said no more free code reading in CA. What gives?

#19 ·
The Traction Control Light, Check Engine Light, and VSC Light (Flashing) came on this weekend. Took it to the dealership this morning and the diagnostic showed that the secondary air intake pump was bad and had water in it. They replaced free of charge as Toyota knows about the problem with the 2007 model, though it is not a recall problem.

#20 ·
The Traction Control Light, Check Engine Light, and VSC Light (Flashing) came on this weekend. Took it to the dealership this morning and the diagnostic showed that the secondary air intake pump was bad and had water in it. They replaced free of charge as Toyota knows about the problem with the 2007 model, though it is not a recall problem.
Two year old post

#21 ·
Two year old post

#23 ·
I have a 2008 tundra limited 5.7. 2 wd. The vsc light is flashing and the traction control light is on solid, no other lights are on and the nannie button does nothing. No fuses are blown and tried the battery reset, no change. The truck runs great like it always has, trans shifts great thru all 6 also. Does anybody have any ideas before I head for the dealer this week.

#25 ·
Took the truck to the dealer yesterday. They checked it out and said it was the power break booster failure that the entire booster would have to be replaced. Got it back today vsc and tc back to normal and the nannie switch is working again. Over $1400.00 for the break booster, sooo happy that I have the extended warranty, only $50.00 out of my pocket. Seems odd to me because I wasn't having any trouble with the breaks!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.