Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. I just happened to be driving by a GMC dealership the other day and saw a nice looking Black 06 Tundra for sale. I looked it up on line and got some info. Here is my question: is there any good reason or advantage for me to upgrade from my current Tundra to this one besides being a total geek for the color black?

My current truck: Sliver 2002 SR5 TRD 4WD Access Cab with 36000 miles (I still owe about 12k)

Truck on the lot: Black 2006 SR5 2WD Double Cab with 46000 miles (I think the price is around 17k)

All options are about equal.

Thanks for your opinion.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I guess it just depends on whatever "floats your boat". The double cab would be nice, as would the vvti engine. But, black vehicles, although beautiful when clean, are an absolute nightmare. They magnify every scratch, ding and blip that occurs. I used to love them too. That is, until I had one. I've been eyeballing some local 05-06 double cabs too. But unless my 02 gets totalled or something, I'll probably just hang on to it. It's in better shape than every 06 I've seen for sale around here.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Hello All. I just happened to be driving by a GMC dealership the other day and saw a nice looking Black 06 Tundra for sale. I looked it up on line and got some info. Here is my question: is there any good reason or advantage for me to upgrade from my current Tundra to this one besides being a total geek for the color black?

My current truck: Sliver 2002 SR5 TRD 4WD Access Cab with 36000 miles (I still owe about 12k)

Truck on the lot: Black 2006 SR5 2WD Double Cab with 46000 miles (I think the price is around 17k)

All options are about equal.

Thanks for your opinion.
well...i dont know much on the gen 1s but i woulodnt pay 17k for a gen 1 with 46000 on it.... look for a gen 2 for not much more money and less miles and then theres a reason to trade up. also owing 12k on a 7 year old truck is gonna suck at trade in even with low miles ur gonna get hammered on it....

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Unless you absolutely need the 4 full doors, I keep the lower mileage vehicle. The other consideration might be if you don't need the 4WD and the costs associated with your 4WD.

My access cab is plenty big for for just hauling a very large Golden Retriever in the back seat.

Silver is gonna hide dings better than black and not nearly as hot if parked in the sun.

·
Registered
92 Posts
From a financial standpoint, I would hang on to what you have for now. If you have extra money, use it to pay down your loan on the 02.

·
05' Tundra (Tun-Tun)
520 Posts
i would say the VVT-i would be the best upgrade tho...i would definetly trade up knowing what i got NOW.... and I too love black and i dont agree with the sun heat thing its not THAT large of a differnce really...my moms car is almost black, friends truck silver, mine blue i dont notice a heat difference when they sit in parking lot at work (same parking lot, same hours)

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
If you don't use 4wd and you need more back seat room then go for it, if you don't need the back seat, then keep what you have. The mileage thing is close enough not to matter.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I traded up from a 2001 ac 4wd to a 2005 dc 4wd.

You really do notice the vvti engine and 5spd trans.
But I really got it for the rear doors for the kids. And the interior space is huge. And the bid is deeper by 3", which really akes a lot of difference when you load it up.
There is no way I could go back to an ac.

But considering you owe on you current ride and the 06 would put you in the whole deeper, stay with what you have until you need to change. I lived with the 01 for 4 years until I needed to have the rear doors.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Unless you absolutely must have the bigger cab...there is no way I'd do that deal. 1. The '06 is way overpriced. 2. You're going to taking a beating on your trade (way under what you owe) 3. Yes the VVTi and 5-speed is nice...but it's not THAT big of a deal. You're picking up some extra-go power but you're also picking up a bigger/heavier truck. 4. The '06 is most likely a lease return or someone that trades often so they likely didn't care for the truck that well. 5. 4wd to 2wd??? 6. A 2002 to 36k miles?? That's a garage queen, who cares what color it is :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Another factor to consider is if you tow or not with your Tundra, the earlier models had issues with brakes and planetary gears (transmission), so if you tow I would definitely upgrade. I went from a 2001AC to a 2006DC and couldn't be happier - though I 3 kids so I need the extra space the DC provides.

jmo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you considered having your current truck professionaly painted? I assume it would be much cheaper to have it painted than to add 5K onto your loan + the difference from your owed amount minus the trade-in value.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts