Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Trade speeding ticket for puchase of Hypertech?

9K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  spoon059 
#1 ·
So I bought my Tundra from a co-worker that told me not to worry about the speedo. I never really had any problems until today when I got pulled over for doing 42 in a 30. Now, being the man I am I will take the hit...( I most likely was over the limit as I was NOT paying attention) but, I do not think I was 12 over. Sooooo...I am now looking at the Hypertech (HYP730103)and again, 4wheelparts came through.

I called a local shop and they wanted $300 for the kit and the install. So, I came home and found it for $180 with no shipping cost. I am hoping that I can take my receipt into court and prove that I at least made an effort. Or maybe just look good doing it? :becky:

#2 ·
good luck with that, they are trying to get money anyway they can get it. I would just pay the ticket and fix the speedo vs paying court costs + ticket.

#4 ·
Not really banking on the court thing. I am curious to know what my speeds are though. Never really thought about it until now, but will fix it anyway to have peace of mind.

#6 ·
#7 ·
With my 35's, I think I was reading about 7% lower on the spedo vs. my actual speed. Haven't been on the internet calculators lately. Hypertech is good to have and save yourself the money and install it yourself.

#8 ·
you should be able to get out of it with proof you got your spedo checked and calibrated

#9 ·
Lot's of cops on this forum so maybe some of them can give some "real'" insight vs everyones opinions

#11 ·
bottom line you were speeding,,, about a 2-4 mph difference,, thats pretty much it

you can do it yourself..

Performance Probe

#12 ·
#13 ·
new tire diameter x indicated speed divided by Old tire diameter = difference

#15 ·
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I just want to point out that I am not trying to "beat" the system and dis-regard laws. Just want to have a better idea of what is going on so I am not going in blind and looking like a jack a$$. I guess another thought of mine is to have this not looking like I was driving reckless knowingly.

Thanks for the calculating sites. Who knew?:tu:

#16 ·
I guess another thought of mine is to have this not looking like I was driving reckless knowingly.
If you weren't driving recklessly than sweet bleeding Jesus may God be with you. Otherwise....you fail and you were speeding and fawking sh*t up for the rest of us. Thank you and have a nice day. :afro::third:

#17 ·
If you have a good record the judge MAY dismiss the ticket, or at least drop it down to a ticket with less (or Zero) points --- But, I'd leave out the fact that you have larger than stock tires, and just say the Speedo needed to be calibrated properly, and now that it IS, he doesn't have to worry about you speeding anymore. :blah: --- In my experience, making the effort to correct the problem generally yields positive results; just be "humble" with the judge & admit that it was your fault for not making sure the speedo was correct, but you've fixed it now

#18 ·
If you have a good record the judge MAY dismiss the ticket, or at least drop it down to a ticket with less (or Zero) points --- But, I'd leave out the fact that you have larger than stock tires, and just say the Speedo needed to be calibrated properly, and now that it IS, he doesn't have to worry about you speeding anymore. :blah: --- In my experience, making the effort to correct the problem generally yields positive results; just be "humble" with the judge & admit that it was your fault for not making sure the speedo was correct, but you've fixed it now
This comes from someone who probably has spent a fair amount of time in a traffic court room. Sounds like great advice to me.

#19 ·
8mph vs 12mph is a big difference. In my state that's the difference between a moving violation and a non-moving violation.
if you read the posts,, he was talking about a 12 mph difference he got the ticket for..,, in a 30 got a ticket for doing 42... thats not going to be more than a 2-4 mph difference according to every calculation I tried,,......

#20 ·
Well put. Thanks!

#21 ·
If you weren't driving recklessly than sweet bleeding Jesus may God be with you. Otherwise....you fail and you were speeding and fawking sh*t up for the rest of us. Thank you and have a nice day. :afro::third:
:angrywife:

#22 ·
Or, if you already have a GPS, it will give you the exact speed that you are traveling.
Can save the money you would spend on the hypertech.
Found that my Tundra's speedometer reads 1MPH slower than I am
actually traveling. Rented a Cadillac DTS recently on vacation, and the speedo
in that was 1 to 2 MPH faster than it showed, (depending on how fast I was going)
per the GPS.

#23 ·
if you read the posts,, he was talking about a 12 mph difference he got the ticket for..,, in a 30 got a ticket for doing 42... thats not going to be more than a 2-4 mph difference according to every calculation I tried,,......
And if his speedometer was reading 38 when he was really going 42 (using the upper range of your 2-4mph).... that's a difference of 8 mph vs 12 mph - which is a big difference when you compare a moving and a non-moving violation.

#24 ·
A moving violation occurs when you're moving :doh: --- all speeding tickets are "moving" violations, so 8+ over & 12+ over don't make a difference, except when points & fines are assessed... In Mich for example, Limited-Access roads (like expressways): 1-5 over = 0 points, 6-10 over = 1 point, 11-15 over = 2 points.... unlimited-access roads (standard surface roads) are 1-5 over = 1 point (go up from there by 5).

A "non-moving" violation is something like: No proof of Insurance, Excessive Noise (horn, squealing tires, stereo, etc...), Window Tint (where applicable), License & Reg violations, etc...

#25 ·
A moving violation occurs when you're moving :doh: --- all speeding tickets are "moving" violations, so 8+ over & 12+ over don't make a difference, except when points & fines are assessed... In Mich for example, Limited-Access roads (like expressways): 1-5 over = 0 points, 6-10 over = 1 point, 11-15 over = 2 points.... unlimited-access roads (standard surface roads) are 1-5 over = 1 point (go up from there by 5).

A "non-moving" violation is something like: No proof of Insurance, Excessive Noise (horn, squealing tires, stereo, etc...), Window Tint (where applicable), License & Reg violations, etc...
Sorry, I used the term inappropriately - in Kansas, and I assume some other states, going <10mph over the limit cannot be used by insurance companies to raise your insurance rates (similar to a non-moving violation). You pay the ticket and go on about your business.

#26 ·
Or, if you already have a GPS, it will give you the exact speed that you are traveling.
Can save the money you would spend on the hypertech.
Found that my Tundra's speedometer reads 1MPH slower than I am
actually traveling. Rented a Cadillac DTS recently on vacation, and the speedo
in that was 1 to 2 MPH faster than it showed, (depending on how fast I was going)
per the GPS.

Hmm...never thought about that. Although, I probably would only use it for that. Not too many needs for a GPS in MT. HA! Good point though, thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.