Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I traded my 08 Tundra Crewmax 4wd Limited for a 08 Sequoia 2wd Platinum. I test drove the vehicle in New Orleans and everything seemed to operate beautifully and I then purchased it. The next day I ran the Sequoia above 65 mph and a noticable whine was sounding from the rear end of the vehicle. The whine would go away when getting off the accelerator, but would return once throttle was applied. It seemed to get higher in pitch up until 75mph, after this it would go away.
I attempted to search for this problem online but could not find anyone that had previously mentioned it. Is this a common characteristic of the Sequoia with the 5.7? The Sequoia has 11,000 miles on it and it is CPO. I took it to the dealer and they contacted the Toyota Tech Assist direct to try and get an answer. I have a written statement from Toyota Tech Assist stating "This is a characteristic common to this model Sequoia. Noise is normal and no new parts are available." I personally thought the Pinion Bearing was going out, but they checked out the rear end and said everything looked great, hence why the dealer contacted Toyota Tech. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks, Jake

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I hear a bit of a whine on occasion with the windows down, but nothing that I notice on a daily basis or that is bothersome...

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
my thought was the bearing as u said...thats always been a telltale sign, since it goes away when not under a load....i'd be for test driving some other ones, preferably at that dealer if they have some comparable ones...and then taking svc manager for a ride to show him, if in fact others dont make the noise. good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good idea Barney. ThirdHorseman your truck looks great, I love the headlight retrofit. I am very pleased with the sequoia, the ride quality is much improved over my Tundra and it's definitely more "family friendly". Of course it doesn't feel quite as manly driving around town in it though.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I've got the same problem in my '08 SR5 2WD. Went through the same process, taking it in dealership saying its part of the Sequoia build. Have to deal with it ever since...I'd be interested if anyone has been able to find something that works to take this whining away.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Of course it doesn't feel quite as manly driving around town in it though.[/QUOTE]
I felt the same way when I traded my tundra in for the sequoia. But to add to that, at least ridin around the concord/ charlotte area for every 1 man I see driving a sequoia, I see about 10 women drivin em.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I know what I am about to write may not satisfy the situation but I would just like to point out some facts for consideration. I do agree, upfront, that for what we pay for these things that some things shouldn't be but here we are anyway.

I was told in 2002 that the "bump" I feel when I am stopped at a red light is normal in the transmission? Well, I didn't believe them but now 140K miles later and no issues I really couldn't argue the point but many on here hate that when they feel it and I hear it is in the 2 gen. Tundra as well; so, is it normal, just annoying or both? I guess it depends on the person and how they feel about it.

When I sold GM cars back in the 90's they had an Olds convertible that would have "body shimmy" from side to side at 45 MPH. There was absolutely nothing you could do about it because it was just inherent to the design. A sway bar would help the issue but not solve it and some customers couldn't stand it and others didn't notice.

The Olds Aurora used a discontinued version of the Cadillac torque converters that did not fully lock up at around 55 MPH and it would cause this continually "surge" effect/feeling if you held that speed steady. Most people didn't notice it but a few did and most did not like it but confessed that their wife didn't notice it but they could feel it when they drove it.

The list like this really goes on and on and I believe the reason for this is most likely a design that is less than as efficient as it could be or a part some where isn't up to full quality that we would all like to have it be. So, due to poor design and poor quality the dealers and manufacturer come up with a name to label the issue and say that is normal for that vehicle and unfortunately it is because they are not or cannot change the design and they are not or can not change the quality of the parts.

Last but not least. My brother has a new Chevy 2500 and the alternator whines really loud at idle so every time you stop somewhere you hear this "wheeeeeeee"; yes, the passenger could hear this noise to. It finally started to drive him nuts so he took it to the dealer and they gave him a new one. Guess what, did the same thing but worse!!!! Now he is getting frustrated. I told him that if all the alternators are made in the same place then they probably all do it (probably cheap electronics). He paid for a heavy duty alternator to be put on hoping it would solve the issue and the noise stopped for a couple of weeks but has every so slightly come back.

Just a thought. Good luck with your truck!!!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
if u can hack it keep it. if not its simple. sell it and get ur truck back. my tundra vibrates at idle at 1900 rpms and has other quirks but the previous post is dead on. manufacture design flaws are just that and are often unable to be changed. we just traded an 05 camry for a 06 sequoia. couldnt be happier...and yes it is a chick soccer mom ride ....but check my sig....the tundra reigns.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have an intermittent loud whine in my 08 Sequoia that can occur at any speed. It comes from the front passenger seat every time my wife is in the vehicle. I also note that all the climate control settings and radio stations change when this happens. :angrywife:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I have an intermittent loud whine in my 08 Sequoia that can occur at any speed. It comes from the front passenger seat every time my wife is in the vehicle. I also note that all the climate control settings and radio stations change when this happens. :angrywife:

Any ideas?
yes. tellher you hear a rattle in the back seat, 3rd row area. ask her to ride back there to try to find the rattle location while u drive. that should work for a trip or two anyway.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
If you really want to make it stop whining, stop the truck in your garage and go looking for that whining WITH your wife in that back seat!
Have a feeling you will hear the whining less after that, worked for me......well for a month at least!
yes. tellher you hear a rattle in the back seat, 3rd row area. ask her to ride back there to try to find the rattle location while u drive. that should work for a trip or two anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's good stuff guys! I do agree that many vehicles have little quirks here and there and I can certainly live with the whine. I have two little girls that will be riding in the second row and when they're in the truck I can't hear myself think, let alone hear the rear end whining. BTW, the dealership gave me a 33,900 trade in on my 08' Tundra with 31,000 miles on it. I can't believe these trucks hold their value that well!

·
Registered
22 Posts
For those who are experiencing excessive rear end whine I would recommend you check the pinion angle. This is the angle of the third member in relation to the transmissions drive shaft angle. If the angle is too far off it can cause a "whine" and could result in bearing wear. Kinda complicated but you can look it up on the web for a better explanation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
While many vehicles do have quirks, there is almost no problem that can't be corrected. Just depends on how much time, energy and money you wanna throw at it. In short, I rarely buy the excuse that a problem can't be corrected...and/or we have to live with it. Manufacturers are in the business to make money....so most will resist repairing things that they write off as a mere nuisance. It's only when that nuisance get reported repeatedly will they even consider doing something about it (advisory, or TSB). Then, if there's any liability involved in not correcting the nuisance/problem, will the lawyers determine when to turn that advisory/TSB into a recall. Bottomline...be persistent about reporting the problem and requesting that it be corrected...especially if it's still under warranty. If/when any failure occurs, you'll have a much better chance of getting the repair cost covered.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand. If the whine only occurs under load, you've basically ruled out tires, and everything seems to point to the drivetrain. I'd say you're probably spot on with the rear-end pinion or carrier bearing going bad, but could also be a U-joint (but less likely as this would be more of a vibration versus whine).

One easy thing to do is to change your rear-end fluid. Whilst doing so, collect the old fluid in something that makes is easy to inspect it (milk jug with top cut off maybe)....look for for tiny metallic bits or flakes, etc. Replace with a good synthetic lube (I like Mobil 1 gear lube) and see if that helps. If the whine changes pitch or any characteristic whatsoever....it's a pretty good indication that you're in the neighborhood. Changing the rear end fluid may not prevent bearing/gear failure, but it might help to diagnose the problem at a relatively low cost.

For what it's worth, I'm at 76k miles on my '08 Sequoia, and no whine here.
Cheers, Toolman_Johnny

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the advice Toolman. I'll change the fluid out and see if anything changes. I will keep yall posted of any mechanical changes or communication with Toyota.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts