Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys;

I've got an 06 Tundra DC 4WD. I live in Michigan, we get lots of snow, I plow my personal driveway with this truck and tow a 26' travel trailer in the summer.....having good tires is important to me;)

SUMMER TIRES: Factory 265/70-17 Dunlop AT20s.....I can't stand these tires, they must have been the cheapest, lowest-rolling-resistance tire Toyota could find. They suck in the rain, look "puny" on the truck, and my greatest hope is that they wear out really soon:)

WINTER TIRES: 265/70-16 Blizzak DMZ3s on aftermarket wheels......they look great, but are worn out and need to be replaced. (In all honesty, for how much $$ they cost, I'm not all THAT impressed with how they did in the snow.......) They look nice and "beefy" on the truck, though;)

I called Tire Rack today.......the guy says that the Blizzak DMZ3 is the best truck snow tire they've got.....that the second best truck tire for ice/snow is actually the Bridgestone Dueler REVO, and that it's not THAT far off the performance of the Blizzak.

So I'm thinking.............I need a set of snow tires and would LIKE a set of summer tires, too. In a perfect world, I'd have a set of Blizzaks for winter ($700 on the truck) and a set of REVOs for summer ($700 on the truck)........

But hey, if the REVO is *almost* as good as the Blizzak in the snow, why not just run the REVO all year long???

Does anyone on here have experience with the REVO in the snow versus a dedicated snow tire (Blizzak, Hakkapeliita, Winterforce, whatever)??? I have dedicated winter/summer tire packages for the other 7 cars in the family........am I making a mistake going with the REVO and giving up my dedicated "snow tire"???

Thanks! Ben

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
You would probably be good with the Revos until they wear to the point where they are still good in the summer, but not deep enough tread for snow.
It is interesting that the two best winter (vs "snow") tires, the Blizzaks and Michelin X-Ice, are the best on ice & packed snow, but not that good in deep snow. I've had both and the Nokian Hakkas are better in deep snow, but less sure-footed on the slick. I could probably even leave my Firestone Destination ATs on year round as they are also very good on ice/hard pack.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The best all around tire I've seen that does quite good in the snow and ice is the Nokian WR series. Much better handling than the Blizzaks and they wear quite well.

The only good thing about those OEM tires is that they do handle quite well and are very quiet. Which should be expected from a highway-only tread. I don't find a huge difference between snow tires and A/T's (like the Revo) on a 4x4 vehicle. Generally speaking, a decent A/T should get around fine. So I would look for an A/T with decent snow traction that also has good summer/on-road performance. I know quite a few folks that have snow-plow businesses and they generally run cheaper brand A/T's. The guy that plowed our lot this year had a 20 year old Dodge with skinny Coopers just like what I recently bought (cooper discoverer ATR's) and it plowed like mad.

I would think the REVO's would work fine for you, although I question their value. I paid nearly half as much for the Coopers as the Revo's were going to run. I'll take my chances that they'll last half as long as a worst-case scenario.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have the Revo's and they are very good in the snow IMO...
I think you should buy the Revo's (since you hate your stock tires) then sell your stock tires :)

Then when winter rolls around see how you like the Revo's..
If they don't perform as good as the Blizzak's (and i'm not saying they will)
then buy another set of Blizzaks and put the few dollars you made from selling the stock tires towards your purchase :tu:

It's really win win since you hate the stocker anyways :)

goodluck I love my Revo's.....

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a bit more complicated than I explained (I kept it simple).......

The Blizzaks were purchased from Discount Tire, and have some wear-problems that Discount is making good by pro-rating me a credit towards a new set of tires.......I've got a solid $450-500 credit coming back, so I'm debating whether to replace the Blizzaks with another set of snows (then I have to keep both sets of wheels/tires, and eventually get some REAL A/T tires for summer)........or I can just put the REVOs on the truck (either on the snazzy 16" aftermarket wheels, or on the OEM 17s, sell the other set of wheels, and call it a day;)

Thanks for confirming the REVOs are good in the snow.........are they wearing/lasting OK for you?

Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
797 Posts
mine have about 20,000 miles on them and they have plenty of tread for another year or so...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, Tire Rack said they are a 40-50k tire....

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I'm on my second set of Revos, first on my Tundra.

We have a house north of Mammoth Mountain Ca and I've been driving through plenty of snow.
Never an issue, in fact I was pleasantly suprised with the traction.

I will by them again.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Mommy has 'em on her Pilot and 40000 miles later this will be their last winter.I'll go with Revos when its time for the Tundra only because of how well they did on the Pilot.Gonna compare LTs in E-range to the regular D-range tires to see the cost difference.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Go for it:tu: Revos are great all around tires especially for winter use. So far they are the best all-terrain or all- season tire I have ever used. They have great summer traction wet and dry, are good in mud and sand and are very quiet on the highway for an A/T tire. I live in Manitoba and winter performance is very important for me. The Revos are great in snow and quite good on ice too for an A/T tire. I find that a lot of tires work ok in the summer but when it gets cold they turn into bricks and have very poor traction, the Revos work just as good at -30 as they do in warmer weather. They will still slide on glare ice though but so will pretty much any tire including dedicated winter ice and snow radials. I only have about 15,000 miles on mine and have been checking the wear with a tread depth gauge, so far they have only worn a little less than 2/32" which is almost nothing. I don't like having to change tires back and forth in fall and spring and prefer using one GOOD tire for all seasons including some off road use, and for this the Revo is King IMO.:sleep:

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Does anyone on here have experience with the REVO in the snow versus a dedicated snow tire
Well, I hate to be the Black Sheep here, but when I took my brand new Revos in the snow for the first time earlier this year, I was a little disappointed. I had enough traction, but they felt a little squirrely; like I was going to lose control and go flying off the highway any second. I wasn't even going that fast; say, 35-40.

I actually felt a little more secure on the no-name tire the dealer put on it when I bought it.

On the plus side, the ride very smooth and quiet for summer driving.

JMHO and you know what they say about opinions. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
I've got 31,000 miles on the Revo's I put on several years ago. I've found them great in every weather condition I've experienced here in Minnesota. I doubt I'll get another winter from them as I'm almost to 1/4 of their original tread depth and not complaining one bit. They will be replaced with new Revo's next fall.:tu:

Larry

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have Revo's and they wore well until I hit 35,000. Now I have tire noise and chamfering on the front. They kind of went south when the tread wore to about 1/2. I am due for a new set but need some suggestions. Stick with the Revo or try the Michelin LTX/AT Anyone help me out? Oh ya......I live in Minnesota. 2002 4X4 Extra Cab SR5

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just to chime in with my 2 cents...I have Firestone Destination A/T's. I run them all year long and wouldnt trade them for Revo's...sorry but that's how I feel. I have run them thru alot of new England snowand slush and they have NEVER missed a beat!! I pulled alot of people out of the frozen snow we had this past winter ( and past winters) and they always ran great. they are quiet too on the road.

i would give them a look. Tire rack gives them good reviews and I do too!!!

but that's just my opinion..I have the C load range ..and they are less expensive than revo's

1 - 14 of 14 Posts