Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be putting a trailer brake control on my 2010 Tundra. The question I have is the tree controlers that I have seen, only at Pep Boys, and Kragen, have four wires, and the factory harness has 5. I am almost sure I can hook up the controler and leave the one wire capped off, but I just wanted to make sure first. Or is there a controler that uses all five wires.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Save your money and get a P3 or Prodigy, I think I got my P3 for $125. Go to an RV or trailer place if you want to get one, check the RV or Airstream forums and you'll find that that is pretty much the gold standard for brake controllers.

Some of the cheaper ones just use a time delay, it applies the trailer brakes after you hit the TV brakes. The P3 and Prodigy have an accelerometer that will measure the decelleration and apply the trailer brakes based on how fast the TV is slowing down.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Save your money and get a P3 or Prodigy, I think I got my P3 for $125. Go to an RV or trailer place if you want to get one, check the RV or Airstream forums and you'll find that that is pretty much the gold standard for brake controllers.

Some of the cheaper ones just use a time delay, it applies the trailer brakes after you hit the TV brakes. The P3 and Prodigy have an accelerometer that will measure the decelleration and apply the trailer brakes based on how fast the TV is slowing down.
I agree - the P3 with wiring harness plugs right in and works like a champ!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree - the P3 with wiring harness plugs right in and works like a champ!!!
Don't forgt the specific vehicle wiring pigtail that will plug up behind the drivers side kick panel. Check around online and you can get the controller a lot cheaper than some RV dealer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ditto on the Prodigy! Even the guys at the RV dealership were impressed with how well it worked when I picked up the new trailer. They said the cheaper ones always create "bumping" but not so with the Prodigy. Three camping trips now and the brake control has been flawless in all types of mixed use.
:tu: :D

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I got my P3 new from Ebay for about $100 and the harness for $10 a few years back. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
ditto the P3. Picked mine up with a harness from a fellow TS member for under $100. Don't know what kind of trailer your going to be pulling, but a brake controller is the wrong place to try to save a few bucks. I have been hauling for a long time with a number of brake controllers and a number of trucks and I love the Tekonsha P3. Made in America (despite the Japanese sounding name, its actually an Indian tribe name).

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you shop around, you can find the prodigy online for around $100. Also, whatever controller you get, call their customer service for the correct wire color codes. The diagram Prodigy sent with the controller for Toyota was wrong. CS had me fixed in about 2 minutes..

·
Registered
570 Posts
I also use a Tekonsha, (who makes the prodigy) and have for the last several trucks. They are the best, and I would bet 90% of the brake controllers on this forum are Tekonsha. I don't even remember what kind mine is, but it keeps me safe. I have had to drive a loaded horse trailer across the Rockies when a white out snow storm hit at Vail pass. No worries, everything handled beautifully.

$100, and it is a do it yourself mod. The truck is mostly pre-wired for it.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
If you are confused between the P3 and the Prodigy, they are both made by the same company Teknosha. The P3 is the updated version of the Prodigy. Basically the same but the P3 is a little more user friendly (I think it looks better too). From what I understand, the biggest difference is that the P3 can do hydraulic brakes too (doesn't really apply to me).

·
Registered
764 Posts
Important point is get a Prodigy or a P3. The price difference is not meaningful if you want the best -- go with one of these two Tekonshas. I have istalled both in Tundras, Sierras and Sequoias. The best damn break controller I've ever used and on par with what I had previously thought was the best thing I had used .... the Ford SuperDuty factory integrated brake controller. You can't go wrong with either Prodigy or P3. The P3 has a slightly larger front face that tapers back to accommodate the LCD computer-esc display but both work equivalently. I just like how cool the P3 looks and it's ability to show your vehicle's bus voltage on the display.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I put the P3 on my Tundra, definitely recommended from me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use the P3 and it works great. I pull a 29' RV and a 4-horse trailer(for wife) and it works great!! The install is very easy. I just followed the instructions included.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My prodigy works wonderfully. I mounted it in the little cubby that seems to be made for it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not a bad location. I went for the center console due to my long legs. I might pick up the P3, it would look better in the console...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts