Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 09 Tundra that I did not get the towing package on but I am wanting to buy a boat here very soon. I know that the bumper is rated for 5000lbs but I am now wondering about intalling the 2-inch ball correctly. The owner's manual just says to call the dealership for installation. On the bumper there is not any holes to install the ball but there is indentions in the platic area where the ball would most likely go. I may be a little precautious here but I just want to do this right and not damage my truck or soon to be boat. Comments? Ideas, etc?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Have you looked underneath the bumper?? I think the holes are all ready there, the plastic cover just needs to have the hole drilled.

Even though the bumper / ball combo will work, it might be a good idea to just but a receiver type hitch that is a lot stronger and more suitable to towing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you looked underneath the bumper?? I think the holes are all ready there, the plastic cover just needs to have the hole drilled.

Even though the bumper / ball combo will work, it might be a good idea to just but a receiver type hitch that is a lot stronger and more suitable to towing.
yes the hole is already there. Drilling the hole for the ball is part of my original question and to see if anyone else had done this. Do you know of a good reciever type hitch that might be stronger and better for towing I could use and where I could purchase it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I bought a valley class 3 hitch and it is pretty nice. I got mine used, but in new condition for $100 with ball and ball mount. Check out ebay I have seen hitches on there for around $125 and up.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I did not get the tow package so I went and got a Curt off of ebay from a place in Mass. for about $140. Works great and easy to install. I would not use the bumper hitch for anything more than a light utility trailer.

The receiver will allow you to use a ball mount that will set the proper ride height for the trailer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would not tow a boat with my bumper... Places like UHaul will install a Class II hitch for about $150 or so.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
going to repeat what they said, bumper mount ball is the worst option. reciever hitch is best. too bad u didnt get a truck with one already the stock one is friggin stout. but there are aftermarket ones that are plenty good. see if there is a "hitches etc" type place in your area...i got one for my old silverado from them and it was the same price as uhaul or ebay would have been....

·
Registered
681 Posts
Have to agree with the others.....get a receiver hitch, better safe than sorry. Not sure how much it would cost, but I had one installed on a Cherokee I had for about $180.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I have had my bumper off my truck and I would not ever pull any thing with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts