Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked at some of the aftermarket trailer hitch websites, and it seems that you can only add a class 3 hitch, with a limit of 6,000 pounds. Does this mean that if I want the 10,000 + towing capability that I have to add the 'towing package' from Toyota to my truck options list? I really don't like the towing mirrors. And I would prefer the standard rear end gearing, instead of the 4.30 gears that come with the tow package upgrade. I will be doing a very limited amount of towing, but need the 10k pound capacity when I do tow (1 2 times a year, very short distance -150 miles). Any thoughts?
Oh and by the way, soon to be EX F-250 Diesel guy, first post, looking forward to a long and prosperous Toyota Truck experience...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does this mean that if I want the 10,000 + towing capability that I have to add the 'towing package' from Toyota to my truck options list? I really don't like the towing mirrors. And I would prefer the standard rear end gearing, instead of the 4.30 gears that come with the tow package upgrade. I will be doing a very limited amount of towing, but need the 10k pound capacity when I do tow (1 2 times a year, very short distance -150 miles). Any thoughts?
The tow package is standard on 4.7 and 5.7 trucks -- if you order "Sport appearance" it deletes the tow package -- so there's not really much choice.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have looked at some of the aftermarket trailer hitch websites, and it seems that you can only add a class 3 hitch, with a limit of 6,000 pounds. Does this mean that if I want the 10,000 + towing capability that I have to add the 'towing package' from Toyota to my truck options list? I really don't like the towing mirrors. And I would prefer the standard rear end gearing, instead of the 4.30 gears that come with the tow package upgrade. I will be doing a very limited amount of towing, but need the 10k pound capacity when I do tow (1 2 times a year, very short distance -150 miles). Any thoughts?
Oh and by the way, soon to be EX F-250 Diesel guy, first post, looking forward to a long and prosperous Toyota Truck experience...
Tow mirrors are optional.Tow package is standard on v-8 models other than sport models. The 4.3 comes with the 5.7 along with 10.5 rear and 6 speed.

Mine came with a 11000#reciever. Pretty much "turn key" for towing, just add a 11000# ball of your choice and a break controller, which is prewired, if needed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't be afraid of the seemingly low-geared 4.30 axle. When you put the larger 18" wheels and the tall-geared transmission into play, the engine RPM at 65 mph (6th gear OD) is actually slower (1730 RPM) than the GM with 3.73 axle in 4th gear OD (1840). Since the torque converter locks in gears 3-6, you can control the effective drive ratio with the transmission gear. Very clever!

Jim

·
Registered
595 Posts
Don't be afraid of the seemingly low-geared 4.30 axle. When you put the larger 18" wheels and the tall-geared transmission into play, the engine RPM at 65 mph (6th gear OD) is actually slower (1730 RPM) than the GM with 3.73 axle in 4th gear OD (1840). Since the torque converter locks in gears 3-6, you can control the effective drive ratio with the transmission gear. Very clever!

Jim
Where did you get these numbers from? And the info about torque converter lock-up as well.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks. I guess that I have no choice but to get it. I was only thinking about a few extra tenth's of a mpg. The 4.30 gears will help with acceleration anyway. I will definitely get a brake controller, and Weight Distribution hitch as well, but like I said the towing I do is limited, but 10,000lbs when and if I move my camper around.

·
Registered
29 Posts
On the drive ratio, I worked up a simple Excel simulation model that takes:

- Engine torque curve
- Transmission gear ratios
- Axle ratio
- Tire size (rev/mi)

and calculates:

- Engine RPM, HP, and torque for a selected gear at vehicle MPH

That way, I can compare alternative vehicles with real-world RPM ranges I typically operate with. I never run at peak-HP RPM's.

On the transmission torque converter lockup, that was the answer from Toyota's 800 call-in number.

All of this was enough for me to place my order for a 4x4 5.7 reg cab long bed.

Hope that helps.

Jim

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have always been use to the sporty mirrows, i disliked the tow mirrows at first, but after a day in the truck, you could not give me the small mirrows, you can actually see behind the dam truck, the sport mirrows can't hang with the big dogs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts