Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a trailer that weighs 3580 empty and is 22 feet long. It has tongue weight of 690 and I will put a 3000lb truck on it. Does any one see any problems with this being towed by a 2005 V8 Double cab Tundra? I need help quick because we are looking at it tonight. Thank you in advance.

3580 Empty Trailer
275 for water
42 for the Propane

This leaves about 3103 for the cargo. The truck is not actually 3000lbs but a good overestimate. It will only be towed about 1 1/2 hours away around 75 miles of road no highway driving with a WD Hitch and trailer brakes using a Prodigy controller.:ts:

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
You'll be about 800 - 900 lbs overweight

dsrtrcr01 said:
I am looking at buying a trailer that weighs 3580 empty and is 22 feet long. It has tongue weight of 690 and I will put a 3000lb truck on it. Does any one see any problems with this being towed by a 2005 V8 Double cab Tundra? I need help quick because we are looking at it tonight. Thank you in advance.

3580 Empty Trailer
275 for water
42 for the Propane

This leaves about 3103 for the cargo. The truck is not actually 3000lbs but a good overestimate. It will only be towed about 1 1/2 hours away around 75 miles of road no highway driving with a WD Hitch and trailer brakes using a Prodigy controller.:ts:
The problem is the DC is a heavy vehicle...even the 2WD model is around 5200 lbs with just driver, 1 adult passenger, full gas tank, and typical options. Subtracting that from the 11800 lb GCWR leaves only 6600 lbs for cargo in the truck, the trailer, and whatever you carry on the trailer. If you carry even a small amount of cargo in the truck, you'd best asssume that the truck with WDH attached will be around 5400 to 5500 lbs...leaving only 6300 to 6400 lbs for the trailer and trailer load. Subtracting the weights you gave for empty trailer (almost guaranteed to be low since that weight does not include trailer options like AC or even a spare tire in many cases)...and the weight of the water/propane, you're left with only about 2200. And if you're carrying additional stuff like food or clothes, then you have even less left. But using an optimistic 2200 lbs, you'll be around 800 to 900 lbs overweight with a 3000~3100 lb truck on the trailer. :td:

800 to 900 lbs above GCWR is a very, very serious overload and cuts very, very deeply into whatever margin of strength was designed into the truck. If that road is totally flat...and near sea level in elevation...you might get away with occasionally towing a near half-ton overload as long as you are using a WDH with strong enough spring bars (I suspect your tongue weight will be around 1000-1200 lbs after you load the truck on the trailer). But you will be severely stressing every component in the truck and sooner or later (probably sooner), something will wear out very prematurely. Furthermore, if your route involves even minor hills, much less mountains, or is well above sea level, the truck will noticeably struggle with that much overload and you'll severely shorten the vehicle's life. And do keep in mind that if any component fails...and the Toyota determines it failed because of excessive towing weights...then you will probably not have any warranty coverage on the failed component.

The bottom line is if you want to tow that truck with your Tundra...and you want to get long life out of your Tundra, you need a trailer that weighs less than 2000 lbs. Period. No ifs, no ands, no buts. OTOH, if you really want the trailer you're thinking of, then you also better plan to trade in your Tundra real-soon for a 3/4 ton pickup.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Ray

Well Thank you. The actual weight of the trailer is 3580. It is posted at 2760 but we had it weighed and with all the ac, stereo, spare and stuff it came out to 3580 (Which also included the propane and Batteries). If I did (Which I did not) buy it I would have towed it with NO water in it and the other truck weighs well under 3000. BUT all that does not matter because I passed on the trailer. Thank you for your input and always helping out with towing questions.:ts:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Don't forget you have to add people weight that will be in the truck
into the total.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In general, your empty weight is calculated with about 10 – 15 litres of fuel in the tanks, so filling them up will reduce your payload by anywhere from 50 – 150kg depending on how big the tanks are.

·
Registered
2 Posts

3580 Empty Trailer
275 for water
42 for the Propane

kenwood esleek kes-1230s Inverter ACs have improved over the years so you can go for it without any issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts