Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my new 07 Tundra DC Limited but the factory horns are pretty lame. Such a big powerful top-of-the-line truck deserves to have a loud, powerful, commanding horn to match. After a lot of research I decided to install a 5-chime train horn kit from hornblasters.com:

I plan to mount the compressor in the front of the bed on the passenger side just behind the cab. The horns will either go in front of the radiator facing down or under the cab. I will run the air tube out through a bed plug and mount the toggle switch on my dash so I can use the factory horn alone or both together.

So I am wondering has anyone else out there already installed one of these train horns in their truck? If so then please share some pics or tips on installation. I plan to document my install and post it when done - should be within the next week or so depending on when my kit arrives.

If you haven't seen the hornblaster.com videos yet, this one is pretty funny and this one shows a regular horn compared to a train horn.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Man, you're going to wake up the neighborhood with one of those!! I went to that web-site about a month ago and was laughing at some of the videos -- those things get people's attention! Have fun with the install!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I want this one

Kit Includes:
Nathan P3 Airchime
5 Gallon 7 Port Tank (34"L 8"W)
Viair 280C Compressor
Viair 110/150psi Pressure Switch
Replacement Air Filters
20' of 1/4" D.O.T. Approved Airline
Electric Valve/Solenoid
Detailed Instructions

= 3) { netscape = 1;}if(browserName == "Microsof" && browserVer >= 4) { goodIE = 1;}if(netscape || goodIE) { pic_default=new Image(200,150); pic_default.src = "products/NAP35G28/tc85.20050525.200848.0f0.jpg"; pic_loading=new Image(200,150); pic_loading.src = "loading.gif";}function hiLite(imgDocID, imgObjSrc) { if (netscape || goodIE) { document.images[imgDocID].src = pic_loading.src; document.images[imgDocID].src = imgObjSrc;// document.images[imgDocID].src = eval(imgObjName + ".src"); }}//end hiding -->]]>
Enlargements of the P3 Complete Kit with 5 Gallon 7 Port Tank and 280C

Now you can "Lay on it" Everything you need to be heard for miles. For the Utterly Insane, we now bring you this.
List Price: $1597.82
Price: $1334.95
You Save: $262.87 (17%)
In Stock
International shipping available

Or Call 813-966-2247 to order over the phone!

_uacct = "UA-470222-1";urchinTracker();

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
You should mount the compressor as close to the trumpets as possible so that you don't get a drop in air pressure due to the lines expansion. Also, Mount the hornswhere they won't get muddy...under the cab is not adviseable. You should be able to fit the compressor in the engine compartment. Those trumpets will be TOUGH to mount in front of the radiator, because they will take up a lot of room and the air tubingmay need to go over some hot parts. Make sure that if you do mount the trumpets exposed that you angle them downward, so that water can drain from them.

I have a 2 trumpet horn setup (143 db a$$kicker) that I spent several weekends trying to mount in my Taco. I just couldn't find the space for the trumpets without putting them in harm's way (I offroad)...not only that, on mine the air nozzle came out the base and required quite a bit of space in order to drill, mount, and not kink the tubing. I eventually gave up...but I held on to the setup

When I took a look in the tundra DC 4x4, 5.7 engine compartment, I saw some long-shot options for mounting them in the compartment, so we will see.

Good luck!!!:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here a sound clip http://www.hornblasters.com/hbaud/NAP3-2h.mp3the one I like I now a guy around here that has a Leslie 3 chime horn of a old Pennsy RR engine I sound's great But it on a tractor trailer

OH wait they say this tundra tow like locomotive right:rolleyes:

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should mount the compressor as close to the trumpets as possible so that you don't get a drop in air pressure due to the lines expansion. Also, Mount the hornswhere they won't get muddy...under the cab is not adviseable. You should be able to fit the compressor in the engine compartment.
Thanks for the tips.

The compressor in my kit has a 1-gallon tank with the motor and electric solenoid. I doubt it will fit under the hood but even if it would fit I am concerned with oil, grease, or engine fumes being sucked into the compressor intake. The instructions that I read said it was important to keep only clean, dry air in the compressor so the only solution seems to be mounting the compressor in the truck bed. One bonus is that my bed will be covered so this would keep the compressor clean, dry, and full of fresh cool air.

I also read about keeping the horns close to the compressor, which is why I was thinking of mounting them under the cab or bed. Trouble is that I would need to face them backwards to prevent water, mud, snow, etc. from packing into the horns, and thus the sound would be angled to the rear. They will be loud enough that it shouldn't matter too much but I would prefer to mount them vertically with the horns facing down, thus the only option is to find room for them under the hood. If needed I can try to use copper air lines in the engine compartment - assuming I can get the right gauge and find a way to route them without normal driving tearing them apart.

I am anxious to get this installed and try it out. Will post pics once I have the solution...

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Thanks for the tips.

The compressor in my kit has a 1-gallon tank with the motor and electric ....I am anxious to get this installed and try it out. Will post pics once I have the solution...
Sounds good man! I didn't realize that it had a 1 gal reservoir...no room for that in the engine compartment. Otherwise the engine compartment would be fine and clean enough for a compressor like that...it shouldn't get really dirty (unless offroading) and since it's a toyoter, you won't have floods of coolant, oil, or anything else. :D I have mounted them previously in the engine compartment with no issues (dixie horms on two previous Chevy Blazers)
Mine only has a compressor (only 2 trumpets 12" and 16" long) so it will fit nicely under the hood...need to figure the horns out.

Mounting them downward in the grill is a great way to do it as long as they don't restrict airflow to the radiator too much.

Do you do any offroading? if not, your mounting options may increase. maybe pop off the skid plate (if you have one) and fish around for a good area to mount that won't obstruct the oil plug or filter (thinking ease of oil change here.) You may make some mounting brackets out of some Simpson Strong Tie strapping (long, galvanized, strong, and bendaable) to make it work in a weird location.

I want to see how this turns out!!!:tu: :tu:

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't realize that it had a 1 gal reservoir...no room for that in the engine compartment.
Yeah, these big train horns suck a lot of air, especially the 5-horn model which I got. Even with a 1 gallon tank they can only sound for about 5 seconds so I might actually upgrade to a 3 or 5 gallon tank later if I end up using them often. For now I think the 1 gallon will do it since you can't tolerate the super loud noise for long. I only want to alert the other vehicles and encourage them to move, not forcefully blow them off the highway... :devil:

·
Registered
91 Posts
The hose use to go to the will not expand much so a long run really is not a problem you can get thicker line but that up to you

If you get a longer feed hose you can mount the tank under the truck and the compressor some place else

But be for warned if you pull that s h i t e on me I buy the bigger kit just to get you back:D

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny how everyone in the forum is so polarized on this topic: those that love train horns and those that completely shun the idea. I didn't expect this to be a controversial topic but the discussion is interesting.

I am obviously pro-horn and anxiously looking forward to having the freight train sound at my fingertips but I am not some wild a__ crazy man that is going to cruise parking lots and blast innocent bystanders into oblivion or heart failure. The hornblasters.com videos are amusing but that behavior will get you pulled over, ticketed, and/or arrested in most states. It can also cause wrecks if you shock someone severely on the highway.

I do plan to use the train horn for the following:
  • warning other drivers when there is a wreck or problem up ahead
  • waking up sleepy, drunk, or drugged out drivers that are weaving or dozing off or for whatever reason totally ignoring my normal truck horn
  • saluting obnoxious drivers that tailgate, threaten, or block the lane ahead of me without provocation
  • convincing the rap blasters to turn down their crappy boomin ghetto music when they have it up so loud that you can hear it a block away
  • signaling others in my party while camping, hiking, hunting, boating, etc.
  • signaling for help in the event of an emergency such as being stuck in a snow storm, stranded in the wilderness, robbery or car jacking, heart attack, etc.
  • having a little fun with friends while offroad
The train horns will be hooked up so that the normal truck horn still works by itself and the train horn only kicks in when I activate it with a special switch. So if you are a normal driver and there aren't any emergency situations then we can pass each other on the road without any incidents, not even the normal horn. If you are cocky, arrogant, aggressive, threatening, criminal, unsafe, or in need of urgent help then you just might hear the train coming your way... :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
OH WHO AM I KIDDING I want to drive throw Manhattan and lay on it

and put one on my fire truck I drive at work SO maybe they well finely get the foook out of my way{light and siren mean stop right in the middle of the road}

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
394 Posts
Although I don't have the desire for a louder horn, I do take offense to the fact that when I park next to a Prius, and they set their alarm, I get confused, as the puny little green machine (environmentally friendly) emits the exact same confirmation tones as my big old gas guzzlin anti-Prius.:devil:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts