Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I am a long time lurker, first time poster and I got a question I was hoping you guys could help me with. I keep coming across a lot of information regarding the computer systems in the Tundra and how it calibrates itself based on your driving habits. The more you drive the smarter the computer becomes and tunes the truck accordingly for optimum performance.

So here is my question. If I were to buy used tundra that has been driven by someone else for the first 50,000 miles of it’s life, and the owners driving habits were the complete opposite of mine, should I reset the computer system to recalibrate itself based on my style of driving? Is this even possible? How would this be done?

I ask this question because I just went from owning /driving a 2007 Tundra Double Cab, 4.7 liter that I bought from the dealer with 20 miles, to a 2007 Crewmax, 5.7 liter with 40,000 miles on it and the gas mileage I am getting with the Crewmax is much worse than what I was getting with my other truck. The 5.7 liter is supped to get better MPG when compared to the 4.7, right? With the 4.7 I would average 14.5 mpg in the city. The best I see with the 5.7 is 12 mpg, driving the same route to work everyday, using the same style of driving. Could the trained computer have something to do with this? I am curious to see what you guys have to say.

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
So here is my question. If I were to buy used tundra that has been driven by someone else for the first 50,000 miles of it’s life, and the owners driving habits were the complete opposite of mine, should I reset the computer system to recalibrate itself based on my style of driving? Is this even possible? How would this be done?
It's really simple. You disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes and your truck will be just like it was shipped from the factory.:tu:

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
You don't need to do a thing. Just drive it. It learns the conditions really quickly. It checks things many times a second.
Vehicles don't learn drivers, that's a misnomer.
If you cut the power and it resets, it has to learn that much more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts