Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tranny and the 4x4 tansfer case are leaking oil on my 2001 toyota tundra. I tightened up the bolts on both of them and will see tomorrow if they are still leaking. If they still are what can i do to fix this and is it a serious problem? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yesterday I discovered that the front part of my transmission is leaking. It's not dripping on the ground, just wet on the underside. I only have 41k miles on it. I'll probably bring it in later this week. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yesterday I discovered that the front part of my transmission is leaking. It's not dripping on the ground, just wet on the underside. I only have 41k miles on it. I'll probably bring it in later this week. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Take it to the stealership and have them look at it right away. It is a warranty repair work.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, I brought it to a dealer (not where I purchased it) today to have it looked at. I'm a little worried because they couldn't tell me with 100% certainty that it would be covered under the powertrain warranty. My luck, they will tell me a seal or something went out and it's not covered under warranty. I'm fully prepared to freak out on them if there is any payment required. A few weeks ago, I took my truck to a local dealer because I had a rattle in my passenger door. Even though it was still under bumper to bumper warranty, they still charged me $40 because a bolt or screw came loose causing the rattle and I was told that those types of issues are only covered under the first 12k miles. I wanted to strangle someone!!!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
You should know ur rights before they start to bark, tell them you will be reporting ur experience to Toyota NA.

Seals should be covered under power train warranty.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hopefully I'll be getting a call tomorrow. I'll let you guys know the outcome.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The dealer called me today about my truck. Initially they though it was the rear main seal. They called me later and said they cleaned the oil residue on the tranny, put dye in the motor oil, ran it, drove it around, then raised the truck to check for leaks. Low and behold, they couldn't find anything. I wasn't going to argue with them, but I said the oil leaked from somewhere!!!!!! By the way, it wasn't tranny fluid; it was oil (black not red). I'll check it daily and bring it back if it starts to leak again. Seems strange though.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Its probably ur seals or oil pan gasket is leaking...

Just be on top of it and get it repaired by another dealership if that helps...

·
Registered
131 Posts
The oil pan area is clean as a whistle. Oil/grime can be found around the front part of the transmission. I'll keep an eye on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts