Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my truck less than three weeks ago and have a little over 500 miles on it. After about 300 miles second and third gear started to get harder to shift in to. When it was new all the gears felt really soft and kinda just "sucked" the shifter in when changing gears but now when I go to shift into second and third I can feel it kinda catch for a second and then it goes in. It's like it's catching on something. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I'm taking the truck in today.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bought my truck less than three weeks ago and have a little over 500 miles on it. After about 300 miles second and third gear started to get harder to shift in to. When it was new all the gears felt really soft and kinda just "sucked" the shifter in when changing gears but now when I go to shift into second and third I can feel it kinda catch for a second and then it goes in. It's like it's catching on something. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I'm taking the truck in today.
mine does somthing like that but only going into first when down shifting, almost have to be stopped before i shift into first.

·
Registered
157 Posts
welcome to the 6 speed! Get used to it because that is the way it is :D Do a search on the 6 speed tranny and you will see this is most peoples complaint with it. From first to second, and from second to third isnt that smooth. Kinda notchy. As time goes on, you will learn more how to drive the truck (as in what makes it smoother to shift, etc.) I noticed my habits changed and i drive it more like a truck and ease the gears in and it is fairly smooth now. But it will get clunky if I drive it like a car. :td: It sucks i know.

·
Registered
140 Posts
mine does somthing like that but only going into first when down shifting, almost have to be stopped before i shift into first.
My old 4Runner did the same thing. I think it is a safety thing to prevent overreving or something. It is designed to not let you downshift into first unless you are going extremely slow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
welcome to the 6 speed! Get used to it because that is the way it is :D Do a search on the 6 speed tranny and you will see this is most peoples complaint with it. From first to second, and from second to third isnt that smooth. Kinda notchy. As time goes on, you will learn more how to drive the truck (as in what makes it smoother to shift, etc.) I noticed my habits changed and i drive it more like a truck and ease the gears in and it is fairly smooth now. But it will get clunky if I drive it like a car. :td: It sucks i know.
I think I've figured out how to minimize the catch but it's not going away. I have a few other things going on and am dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow. I expect them to say the usual "they all do that" but I want it documented and if this gets worse and is not dealt with I don't think I'm willing to keep the truck. I've driven plenty of sticks and my main concern is the drastic change from brand new to 500 miles. This truck is a major sacrifice for me and "they all do that" isn't gonna cut it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the six speed and had the same prolbems, then i ordered the urd short throw shifter makes a huge difference and makes the truck easier to drive!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have the six speed and had the same prolbems, then i ordered the urd short throw shifter makes a huge difference and makes the truck easier to drive!!
What he said..:tu:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

That's good to hear. Are there big differences between the urd and the trd? Is the trd worth it at twice the cost?

Something I noticed today when driving the truck to the dealer:

When I started the truck it was idling a little high and on my first pass up the gears it shifted perfectly until I came to a stop. When I went up again the same trouble in 2nd and 3rd...???

·
Registered
157 Posts
the tranny seems to shift a lot smoother at higher RPM. Since it was idleing high at first maybe the RPMs were up higher when you shifted?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the tranny seems to shift a lot smoother at higher RPM. Since it was idleing high at first maybe the RPMs were up higher when you shifted?
So given that we have pretty much the same truck, what rpm are you shifting at and what kind of mpg are you getting?

·
Registered
157 Posts
i usually shift a tad over 2k rpm.

If I drive it soft and stay the speed limit and shift closer to 2k rpm i average a solid 19-20mpg highway(80%)/city(20%) now that its getting warmer.

i average about 350-360 miles per tank before gas light comes on and it takes about 17.5-18 gallons to fill back up.

This is light driving. I drive 100 miles a day highway to work. I coast down the hills that i can, but that means i got to go back up them on the way back. I keep it at about 65 the whole way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's right where I'm shifting. My truck is really new (550 miles), so the mpg is horrible (13-15) so far. I'm sure it will get better but the shift rpm doesn't seem to affect the low gear catching. There's no catch when I downshift. Not sure what that means but it is interesting.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
That's right where I'm shifting. My truck is really new (550 miles), so the mpg is horrible (13-15) so far. I'm sure it will get better but the shift rpm doesn't seem to affect the low gear catching. There's no catch when I downshift. Not sure what that means but it is interesting.
I always get around 15mpg with a combo of city/hwy.

I have not figured out how to get rid of the 2nd->1st catch without coming to a complete stop. The 1st->2nd and 2nd->3rd notch does seem reduced with lower rpm shift points IMO. Good idea on the short shift

Just wondering, Beesnest, do you also have the pleasure of extreme clutch chatter when taking off from a stop?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the 6speed manual and shift pretty much over 25k rpm's almost red line it in 1st to second most of the time, especially merging into traffic from a complet stop. I shift pretty much above 25k into the high 30k and find it a lot smoother and I get 16 to 17 mpg's city driving and 19 to 20 highway. In my opinion it seems the tranny shifts better in the higher rpm's and by using 91 octane gas. I used 89 and it seem to shift a bit sluggish. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I just got the truck back from the dealer. The service rep told me there is nothing wrong with it. He's said that several people drove it and they compared it to another new truck on the lot. He was also nice enough to say that I don't know how to drive a manual truck. Needless to say not what I was looking to here. Overall the service department has treated me like **** all day.

I did get in touch with the sales rep that sold me the truck and he wants to get together and drive it himself tomorrow. Not sure where that will go but I'm not hopeful. Do we really have to just live with this? I know there's ways to minimize it but should we really have to eat the cost of aftermarket mods to fix a factory problem? I'm pissed.

mpaul - I don't have any clutch chatter. I guess I lucked out on that one so far.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think my 6 speed manual shift's ok. I did install the TRD short shifter,though. I think it shift's like a truck with a standard transmission. I also own a 5 speed Miata. I still enjoy shifting the truck.
fred

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think my 6 speed manual shift's ok. I did install the TRD short shifter,though. I think it shift's like a truck with a standard transmission. I also own a 5 speed Miata. I still enjoy shifting the truck.
fred
Did you drive it much before installing the short shift? I'm torn between the trd and urd.

I have noticed today that catching is reduced if I shift from 1-2 at or over 3k and is mostly eliminated between 2-3. It doesn't go away though and it seems really excessive to rev up that high in normal traffic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts