Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Did you have your tranny rebuilt or swapped?

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much like everyone else who have been down this path, I too am beginning to experience transmission issues with slipping on my 2001 Seq with 219k miles. Took it to a local reputable tranny shop and as per course said they found significant metal in the pan and wouldn't know if it's the planetary gears or torque converter without opening her up. Holding back my tears for my first love I told them I'll bring her home and mull over the decision of her future. They understood since it's a costly procedure. For fellow 1st gen Sequoia/Tundra owners who have been given the same fate of their transmission, I'm curious to know if you had yours rebuilt or were you able to swap it out with a used one? Or did you consider your vehicle a loss at that point and traded it in for a new toy?

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Depends on if the rest of the truck is good. Keep in mind that on top of the $ for the new toy, you'll have to fix that truck's problems too and the registration process, etc.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Did you get any quotes on either situation? I'm expecting to have to make this decision in the next year or two. My gut says that I should be able to find a good condition used unit but these trucks are getting older and older now.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Much like everyone else who have been down this path, I too am beginning to experience transmission issues with slipping on my 2001 Seq with 219k miles. Took it to a local reputable tranny shop and as per course said they found significant metal in the pan and wouldn't know if it's the planetary gears or torque converter without opening her up. Holding back my tears for my first love I told them I'll bring her home and mull over the decision of her future. They understood since it's a costly procedure. For fellow 1st gen Sequoia/Tundra owners who have been given the same fate of their transmission, I'm curious to know if you had yours rebuilt or were you able to swap it out with a used one? Or did you consider your vehicle a loss at that point and traded it in for a new toy?
Cant say I have been in your shoes but I think I have read on here guys buy 03 and up tranny for improved planetary gears. How's the underside of your vehicle? Do you live in the rust belt and is your frame rusted all to hell? If it is, might be time to walk away, but if its clean, and you take care of you vehicle, maybe consider keeping it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had mine rebuilt 2015 @ 110k miles for $4200. Was mostly my fault as I was towing motorcycle trailer on hills and forgot to take it out of overdrive. If I had to do it over again I would have gotten a better completely reman upgraded tranny for $5k or so, but has held up very well for another 65k miles since then. Many shops will only replace the parts that are obviously bad and not truly do a whole rebuild (plus the torque converter of course).

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To give an update I am still debating on the two though I haven't put much thought into it since Feb as that's when the Seq officially stalled while I was driving, luckily I was close to home when it happened.

I'm curious to hear more thoughts on this subject. Does a tranny swap come included with the torque convertor or is that considered separate?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The torque converter is always replaced with the transmission, though often a reman. unit of varying quality. Oddly after 2 years mine started making a clanking noise out of nowhere and the shop replaced it under warranty, they said the wrong one had been installed when tranny was replaced. I think the TC is definitely a weak link in this transmission to begin with, as that’s what exploded in mine in the first place.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The torque converter is always replaced with the transmission, though often a reman. unit of varying quality. Oddly after 2 years mine started making a clanking noise out of nowhere and the shop replaced it under warranty, they said the wrong one had been installed when tranny was replaced. I think the TC is definitely a weak link in this transmission to begin with, as that’s what exploded in mine in the first place.
I was going downhill approaching a traffic light and I felt the car unusually slowing down and losing power and then bam completely stalled. It would start up but whenever I'd shift into drive it'd shut off again. I wish I could truly diagnose the issue without having the shop just say "tranny needs to be replaced".

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Like you said, that year and mileage maybe the tranny is done but I agree, that makes absolutely no sense that a bad tranny would make the truck shut off as soon as you put it in gear. That sounds like some weird type of electrical issue to me. Hopefully someone else chimes in with more experience with this type of thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts