Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A relative gave me an 03 Limited access cab Tundra that's spent its entire life in Illinois. It's a good looking truck and I'm glad to have it, but it's a real rust bucket underneath. I'm doing some paint prep under there and wire brushed the fitting where the transmission filler pipe (dipstick tube) goes into the pan. The pipe and the fitting, or flange, were both a little rusty, and next thing I know it's dripping fluid.

How hard is it to replace that piece? The top half of the tube, the part in the engine bay, is in decent shape, so I am hoping to just swap out the lower piece, but I wonder if that requires draining the fluid and dropping the pan to insert the new pipe, or if I can do it without removing the pan. Also, that replacement part is pretty hard to find.

I have a really long to-do list on that truck and until today, this job wasn't on it. Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Damn, I just saw a post on here where I guy did all this and yes, I think you have to drop the pan. Had great details about how to do the whole thing, including torque specs. I cant find it right now but do a search and see if you can locate it.

OK, this isnt the one I was thinking of but pretty close. Plus what you can do is ask your question in this thread. There's a good chance that anyone who added to this thread has subscribed to it so that means if you post there they might get a notification. Point is you will get more answers posting on an existing thread. Thats also a good reason why you should always try to search for existing threads first.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Figured out why I could not locate that part, the lower half of the dipstick tube. It comes with the "pan sub assembly," not sold separately I guess, and the pan could stand replacing anyway.

IMG_20190816_150234.jpg

That is a picture of the trouble spot before I brushed it, taken the day after I got this truck home. I have been doing triage on this Tundra trying to prioritize which rusty areas to fix first. This was always on the list, but now it's at the top. So my shopping list is

• pan and tube
  • gasket, sealer
  • bunch of new bolts
  • ATF
  • O ring for where the pipes connect
  • New ring for the drain plug
  • Filter
Thanks again cheapskate for helping out a forum newbie. There is a bunch of great info here, very glad to find it.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Since it came from the rust belt I would strongly suggest you get it rustproofed. A place like Krown rustproofing, or some DIY spray cans of something. Looking at that picture I am guessing you have some nasty rust on the underside of it. Rustproofing wont undo whats been done but it will pretty much stop anything more from rusting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, the underside of that truck is pretty crusty and I have been prepping it for several days now. I'm grinding, wire-brushing and scraping off the rust and then spraying with various rust busting solutions. Then the weapons of choice will be a coat of POR 15, brushed on wherever I can get a paint brush, and where I can't, various Rustoleum rattle can products. That should at least stabilize the metal so this baby can give me some years of service.

The rear bumper support (towing version) and bumper cover were completely gone so I removed what was left of them and will replacing those pieces, and some other parts that are beyond scraping and painting. I found a fantastic how-to by one of the other posters here showing how he put on the non-towing bumper and added an aftermarket hitch.

The engine and tranny seem fine and the main chassis was replaced by Toyota. The interior and body are in great shape too, except for the bed floor. I'm going to paint the underside of that and basically everything else underneath that can be painted.

Maybe I will start a thread in another section with before and after shots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
flyingriki
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing