Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult of a job is it to replace the shaft seals on the transfer case? Does it require removing the whole thing?

2000 Tundra 4wd

·
Registered
606 Posts
My transfer case seal was leaking a couple of years ago. I got a quote for $1000 to replace it...8-10 hours labor I believe. I decided to drain the t-case and refilled it with 75W-90 Valvoline dino GL5 and added 2 ozs of Auto-Rx. It stopped leaking shortly after and was perfectly dry after about 300 miles. I was engaging the 4WD as much as I safely could during this timeframe. After 1000 miles I drained and refilled the t-case with the Valvoline gear oil again without Auto-Rx and it hasn't leaked at all since. I mention this so you might save some money yourself. But if you damaged the seal somehow, the Auto-Rx won't work for you.

Do not overfill the t-case. Let the fluid come back out of the fill hole until it stops and then fasten the fill plug.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it is not actually my truck. It is a friend's who lives in Alaska, and I think the road conditions have gotten to the seals. He says he's using a quart of gear lube in 500 miles, so a big leak.

I will ask him for sure which seals it is, but probably the output shaft seals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts