Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We tow a toy-hauler several times a year, and stopping every 200 miles for gas is a DRAG. So I spent part of my tax return for the 46 gallon replacement tank. It came shipped by truck freight in just 3 days (From Chico CA to Spokane WA). It is an aluminium-coated steel tank with welded seams and then powder coated black.

I am impressed with the safety and emissions engineering. There are 2 roll-over valves that shut off when the tank is upside down. The stock Toyota carbon canister is retained, and a second canister is provided, to handle the increased evaporation from the bigger tank.

In my opinion, here is where Transfer-flow really shines. The mounting for the additional canister (if I am calling it the right name) uses existing holes in the frame except for one in a minor cross member. ( OK so I did have to drill ONE HOLE).

The layout for the canister is well designed and in a safe, sturdy place tucked up above the rear axle. All the hardware is first rate, and the kit is totally compatible with the Toyota snap fittings for fuel and vent lines. And the dreaded "check engine" light has NOT come on. Try leaving even the gas cap off and see how far you get. These computer monitored systems are SENSITIVE.

At about $1,200 + freight, I think this is a good value. ESPECIALLY when I consider that my grand daughter is strapped into the back seat behind me on most of our trips. In a crash or roll-over, this system outside the bed has a much better safety margin than many in-bed systems, and is far superior to just a few gas cans thrown in...

As soon as my wife gets back from a trip, I'll get her help to post some pics of the mod. Any questions? No problems with fueling. Stock Toyota Fuel float is retained, so no change in the gauge. (If you have a trip computer, your miles till empty will be wrong, I was told).

Do it your self? IF you know how to use a torque wrench and a jack, OK. If Not, spend the $200 and have your local mechanic hang the tank for you. For those who live in the Golden State, check w/Transfer flow to see how the CARB compliant tests are coming...

Peacemakerpete in Spokane.
2008 4X4 Doublecab 5.7

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
congrat man I'll be looking for the pictures. So how will the gas gauge work now?? And also I guess the miles to empty will be wrong??

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
Good deal!
Man I am very jealous. The fuel gauge will probably work as well as the current one. And the current miles left till empty is a joke anyway, at "empty" you still have 5 gallons left! MPG is accurate however, and as long as you keep an eye on that and miles elapsed since last refuel, you should be OK.
Hauling my trailer, I get 10 MPG, so with a 46 gallon tank, that means I can go 400 miles (6 1/2 hours!!) and refuel with a 6 gallon or 60 mile or one hour reserve.
How I want one of these tanks! 1,200 is a bit steep however.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
$1200 is a lot of money to spend on the truck, but doubling the miles you can drive without having to stop will probably make it WELL worth the money for anyone that tows long distances...... Congrats on the mod.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I bought a 48 gal in bed l shaped tank for 400 dilivered. I bought a aux.pump and hose and now travel better than 500 miles without stopping for gas.

·
Registered
112 Posts
1200 is too much - if it were half that or even 3/4 that I'd consider, but for my application I'd need it/use it too infrequently to justify the expense. I will be gentle with the throttle, however, when I'm 250 miles from a Pemex station in Baja.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts