Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my wife I made the road trip to Chico California to Transfer Flow to have the 47-gallon stock replacement tank installed in our 08 Tundra DBL cab long bed. While we were there, waiting for our fuel tank to be installed, TJ (TF employee) gave us a Tour of the plant with a rundown on the production process and company history. It is a family owned business, and is very family oriented with many of the employees having fellow family members working there. The production area is spotless, and everyone seems to really enjoy there job.
I filled up at Transfer flow in Chico, drove to North Seattle where I finally hit the “E”…640 miles on the trip meter, and put in 38 gallons, so technically I still had 9 gallons left, not a bad thing!
Ben Winter and the people at Transfer flow were EXCELLENT to work with.
In addition, as far as problems with the fuel tank, the trip home was flawless, and after observing the build process I do not anticipate any.
My opinion, good people, good product, if you need a higher capacity fuel tank, I do not see how you can go wrong.:happy:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Cool...youre in WA state, I might have to check that out on your truck.

·
NO MA'AM
2,244 Posts
Pics? :photo:

~A

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Awsome, I live an hour north of chico. price and pics please!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Still waiting on the glorious bureaucracy in California to give Transfer Flow the "thumbs up" to sell the tank TO Californians. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the review. :tu:

How long was the install?

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I have a family member who works for Transfer Flow. I agree they are a great company. Hopefully they'll get their midship tank certified for CA use :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
lets see some pics and give us a price range... this could be a use full mod for doing more pre-runner trail exploring. I always strap 2 5 gallon tanks in the bed when I go out now....

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi sweet, now the truck can go a while before full up's, & if you took a trip, it would allow you to most likely get you there without stopping for gas.
alot less trouble, stopping or finding a gas station while taking a long trip.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The pic’s posted pretty much sum it up, it took them 2.5-3 hours to install it, but it was the first double cab long bed they had done so I think they were documenting the process. I love it! Call Ben Winter and wheel and deal, I think he will set you up!:tu:

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
...I filled up at Transfer flow in Chico, drove to North Seattle where I finally hit the “E”…640 miles on the trip meter, and put in 38 gallons, so technically I still had 9 gallons left, not a bad thing!
Ben Winter and the people at Transfer flow were EXCELLENT to work with.
In addition, as far as problems with the fuel tank, the trip home was flawless, and after observing the build process I do not anticipate any.
My opinion, good people, good product, if you need a higher capacity fuel tank, I do not see how you can go wrong.:happy:
Outstanding! Their website is very informative, with pictures and prices, excellent. Thanks for the info. I have for sure bookmarked their website and have this on my serious list!
:thumb::ts:

·
Registered
175 Posts
So is that a steel (or aluminum) tank?

If so- that is sweetness! I would love to get in on that - lets start talking about a 'group buy'

Z

·
Registered
127 Posts
now you can make it to the MOON ...non stop lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The tank is made of steel, if you go to the Transfer Flow site they give you a pretty good description, and they are now available for ALL Tundra’s, Crew max, Double cab regular AND long bed (mine is a long bed dbl cab). For the most part, I can pretty much assure you the fuel will probably out last you between stops on a road trip! Where it is really nice is when you are towing.:happy:

·
Registered
45 Posts
does the trip meter (the one that tells you how long you can go on the tank..) say that you are empty before you really are..?

·
Registered
15 Posts
No guys. The trip meter will work as normal but will be way inaccurate. Since the factory unit is retained the truck doesn't know there is 47 gal and not 20... so your range which is calculated on a 20 gal capacity will be more than double what the range gauge tells you... Also when your fuel warning light comes on you still will have appox 5-6 gallons... (or almost 90 miles till empty) I emailed them asking if they knew anything about a factory recal that could be done... They said they didn't know of any but didn't say if they really have investigated the matter further.

Love the idea and there is a big demand for this... Toyota should offer something from the factory in my opinion they are falling short of the competition in this catagory.

I do wish the aftermarket tank didn't hang below the frame rail... THAT IS BAD NEWS FOR ANY OFF ROAD GUYS... This is a truck after all... They actually advertise it like it's a good thing, like it's only an inch... well most know that an inch below the frame rail is an inch TOO LOW!!! one rock or log will quickly make you walking home... and your hundred dollars in fuel back in the earth it came from...

On that note... does anyone know of underbody protection products/shields offers on the Tundra... (Use protection) :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
No guys. The trip meter will work as normal but will be way inaccurate. Since the factory unit is retained the truck doesn't know there is 47 gal and not 20... so your range which is calculated on a 20 gal capacity will be more than double what the range gauge tells you... Also when your fuel warning light comes on you still will have appox 5-6 gallons... (or almost 90 miles till empty) I emailed them asking if they knew anything about a factory recal that could be done... They said they didn't know of any but didn't say if they really have investigated the matter further.

Love the idea and there is a big demand for this... Toyota should offer something from the factory in my opinion they are falling short of the competition in this catagory.

I do wish the aftermarket tank didn't hang below the frame rail... THAT IS BAD NEWS FOR ANY OFF ROAD GUYS... This is a truck after all... They actually advertise it like it's a good thing, like it's only an inch... well most know that an inch below the frame rail is an inch TOO LOW!!! one rock or log will quickly make you walking home... and your hundred dollars in fuel back in the earth it came from...

On that note... does anyone know of underbody protection products/shields offers on the Tundra... (Use protection) :)
Thanks, This is really good info.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Noticed it in the pics...too bad it hangs so low....no can do for me, because me likes the off-roading.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know when Californians can get these installed?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts