Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the first 30 minutes of driving (especially in cold weather) my transmission will disengage upon stopping at an intersection or the like. This will usually happen if I have to be a little aggressive on the brakes to stop. I can feel the transmission disengage and it will usually reengage after about 10 seconds. During that time, if I try to accellerate from the stop (if I don't realize the disconnect has occurred) the rpms will come up and the transmission will pop back into gear usually chirping the rear wheels or at least lurching the truck forward.

Is this a common happening with 2004 Tundra SR5's or is my transmission telling me something?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I can tell you that's not normal for a 2007 + Tundra. Maybe the 2004 forums can help you more.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Something is definitely wrong. It might be as simple as a low fluid level in the transmission, but in any case, it needs to be looked into ASAP.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Something is definitely wrong. It might be as simple as a low fluid level in the transmission, but in any case, it needs to be looked into ASAP.
I was going to say the same thing.

The tranny sounds like its dry. If the fluid level is high enough, then its getting clogged somewhere. Have you ever had a trans flush?

·
05' Tundra (Tun-Tun)
520 Posts
These are the 1st gen. forums...maybe you're response should stay in the Tundra forums (2007 and newer) not here.

i believe this post was originally in the 2nd gen forum on accident and was moved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2002 Tundra Trans. went @ 120K. Mostly hwy miles and well maintained. You may want to try changing the fluid and cleaning the filter. Sometimes if it's clogged it will fix it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts