Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 05 DC up a fairly steep 4x4 mountain trail the other day and about 10 minutes into the climb that i noticed a burning smell. I pulled the vehicle onto a level spot, kept the engine running and lifted the hood. I noticed a slight wisp of smoke and quite a bit of heat. I let it idle for a few more minutes and continued the climb to about 8,000 msl with vehicle rest breaks every 10 minutes or so. I did not get any strange sounds or overtemp lights. Also gauges were normal temps. Should I be concerned about the stress I put on the Transmission? Should I have it checked or serviced? I was in Lo 4WD during the climb.:confused:

·
Registered
739 Posts
No worries, it was probably the oil the factory puts over everything to keep from rusting and you got the truck a little warmer than usual. Plus you have warranty, why care anyways. Better it breaks now!

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Bring it to Ashfork April 29th and we can all have some fun together. See if she really does have a problem.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
So did any of the flight controls recieve damadge? Transmission Temp indicator illumintae? if not you are OK!! i would suppose!! stupid lights are hard to see especially if your concerns are running off a mountain!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hogwild: The flight controls were fine:) This particular road does concern me a bit. About 15 years ago I took a Mits Montero up it and had the trans really smokin. The mountain is called Mt. Potosi located in the rugged Charleston Range about 25 miles SW of Las Vegas, NV. The service road is notoriously steep and rocky. Its a continuous climb so there are few places to let the truck cool down untill you get near the summit at 8,500'. It was still alot of fun. The truck still runs fine but it was really workin gettin up that roadRambrush: I will try to make it over to Ashfork on the 29th. Whats goin on over there?

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Hogwild: The flight controls were fine:) This particular road does concern me a bit. About 15 years ago I took a Mits Montero up it and had the trans really smokin. The mountain is called Mt. Potosi located in the rugged Charleston Range about 25 miles SW of Las Vegas, NV. The service road is notoriously steep and rocky. Its a continuous climb so there are few places to let the truck cool down untill you get near the summit at 8,500'. It was still alot of fun. The truck still runs fine but it was really workin gettin up that roadRambrush: I will try to make it over to Ashfork on the 29th. Whats goin on over there?
The Vegas group wants to go exploring, I will take em up to the old chinese built railroad tunnel. explore that area. Then I can show them Steel dam and Stone Dam lake. Stone dam actually is a Bass kinda lake. Not widely known and pretty hidden.
We can meet at exit 151 just east of Welch road, will figure time this afternoon.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Have not had my 06 above 7500 ft yet but my 93 is a dog when the thing hits that altitude!! stinking EFI and altitude here in NM just are not conducive to good running truck! i will check yalls location on Google earth and see where yall are talking about!! Just change your tranny oil when ya get home!!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hey i checked that area out on Google earth and it is way out in the middle of nowhere!! kinda nice and desolate!! not a good place for a break down!! stay safe and enjoy!!

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
yes its a pretty nice area scrub oak and junipers intermixed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I finaly got a call from Toyota for the ball joint recall and decided to have them check the transmission fluid at the same time for any damage. It was done today and the fluid looked fine and was not burnt. So it looks like no problems!!. The recall work went smoothly but they told they could not do the alignment because they could not attach the alignment sensors to my aftermarket wheels. Have not noticed any issues with steering but will watch for abnormal tire wear.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
i would go to the forums at the bottom and under driveline ask a few questions and see i DJ would clarify as to why they could not do an alignment!! You will wear a set of tire out quickly with out a wheel aligment and sounds like cheesey excuse!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts